Farm and Ranch life

MUCH appreciate the feedback, Baker. Seems the common theme among the best managers is universally keep deer as low-stressed (food, water, social, etc) YEAR round as possible, and the helping bucks recover from rut as quickly as possible makes perfect sense. Though North FL isn't giant buck territory the one luxury we do have is early spring green up. I've already got white clover flowering , sawtooth oaks with leaves budding, and ornamental crabapples blooming. Suspect if I cut a stump right now it'd be throwing growth fairly quickly without issue. With thanks to you and few others who've chimed in on the "mineral stump" topic, think I'll do very limited effort with sweetgums and focus on few other more generally favorable species, and likely hang cameras at few of each species I try just to see what kind of usage each gets. :emoji_thumbsup:

Great post but the rattlesnake vid would have last 2.5 seconds and then it would have been 2 for 1 and supper with left overs

Great video Baker! Thanks for putting it together.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

^^^^^^^^^^ over and over........

bill

Ordered 5 tons of protein pellets today to begin refilling feeder first of May. Consumption is very low now with green up but that will change quickly.

Putting out 15 bags of minerals today. This is the exact same product as trophy rock from same quarry at a fraction of the price. Does it help? I don't know but inexpensive and easy to feed. Been doing it for years.

IMG_5219.JPG

Baker just got a roller crimper and about to start crimping a field planted with crimson clover, hairy vetch, wheat and rye. I think the crimper will kill eeverything except maybe the crimson clover. I am going to plant this field with vetch and alyce clover. Just wondering if I need to spray to kill clover or could I just let it go and if so will the vetch and alyce clover come up ok

Baker just got a roller crimper and about to start crimping a field planted with crimson clover, hairy vetch, wheat and rye. I think the crimper will kill eeverything except maybe the crimson clover. I am going to plant this field with vetch and alyce clover. Just wondering if I need to spray to kill clover or could I just let it go and if so will the vetch and alyce clover come up ok
I think you will love the crimper. Are you planting with a drill? Where are you located? I think you will be fine planting into the crimson without terminating it. Its gonna die within the next couple weeks anyhow. Should be on the back side of flowering now at least for me.

I have no experience with hairy vetch. I might be more concerned about the crimper killing it. Lastly the vetch likes warm soil. Waiting another couple weeks shouldn't hurt a thing moisture considered if any questions.

Yes I have a 6ft kasco eco drill and bought a 6ft crimper. I am in middle georgia. I have read that the crimper will kill the hairy vetch but this is my first time so we will see. Thanks so much for you input. I enjoy watching your videos and it sure is nice to have people who are willing to share their experiences.

Great video!

Great video!
Thank you, I do wonder what folks on this site think of this work.

I’m addicted!

I used your diverse plots as inspiration for my plots this year. I put together an 11 species deer plot, a 50/50 joint vetch and Alyce clover plot, and a 20 species dove plot. Now, if we can get enough rain for decent germination!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good video.

Welcome to Spring in Missouri :emoji_stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
spent a week watching it rain Good thing I’m not harvesting anything, the deer don’t care if I plant in May or July....

Had you sprayed the soybean field?