Does my plot stand a chance?

tbarile

5 year old buck +
I screwed up my original planting by spraying 24d and had to replant August 20. We didn’t have rain for a few weeks and I just checked the plot and my brassicas (ptt, rape, forage brassica, radish) is only 5-7” tall. Any chance it will be a viable plot by the end of October?

8E31B3CC-7DEA-4AB6-9408-B333D48E5788.jpeg

I screwed up my original planting by spraying 24d and had to replant August 20. We didn’t have rain for a few weeks and I just checked the plot and my brassicas (ptt, rape, forage brassica, radish) is only 5-7” tall. Any chance it will be a viable plot by the end of October?

View attachment 31857

A viable plot for what?

You have edible eats there ...

A viable plot for what?

You have edible eats there ...

I agree green is green and that looks green.
If it makes you feel better I replanted mine this week and there’s no rain in the 10 day.

Probably not going to end up with volleyball sized turnips, but that doesn’t mean it won’t feed some deers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Making me feel a little better but I’m talking about 2’ tall greens and baseball+ size turnips?

View attachment 31857

It should be a great forage plot. Tubers may be smaller than they would have been planted earlier, but that is not enough loss for me to fret.

Thanks

Jack

Making me feel a little better but I’m talking about 2’ tall greens and baseball+ size turnips?
I doubt you're going to get 2' tall greens and baseball turnips maybe 12" and golfballs but still a good looking plot. Cooler temps are going to knock the growth down.

If your dpsm is a reasonable number I think what you will find is that the smaller roots will be more attractive. If you have high numbers it will get wiped out.
Wish mine looked that good. No rain = no food

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree with Scott44

It should be a great forage plot. Tubers may be smaller than they would have been planted earlier, but that is not enough loss for me to fret.

Thanks

Jack

Why did you plant this food plot?

Why did you plant this food plot?

to attract/hold deer. I planted the same combo last year and the deer filed in every night. It’s also a great after season food source and I have bucks dropping their antlers in the plot.

to attract/hold deer. I planted the same combo last year and the deer filed in every night. It’s also a great after season food source and I have bucks dropping their antlers in the plot.

It doesn't matter if the foliage is 2' tall or 2" tall. In fact 2" is probably more attractive. Your plot will meet its primary objective for most of the season. The size of tuber will be smaller but that won't affect attraction. If you are counting on yield to make sure your plot is not wiped out, the issue is that the field is too small for your deer densities. When planting a field for attraction, it is best to balance the crop choice with the acreage and your deer densities. If you plant a highly attractive crop and have high deer densities, more acreage is better than counting on yield. Weather, weeds, mast crop failures, planting mistakes, and more will change the browse pressure and yield each year. Some weeds can be even more attractive than the crops we plant.

If you are not working at scale, the food source objective may not be realistic. Not that your plot is not a great after season food source, just that unless you are working at scale, it probably won't have a measurable impact on the herd.

Thanks,

Jack

Don't know what your deer density is nor the size of the plot but on my place that stand of greens would be doomed unless it was a big enough field the deer simply couldn't keep up. If you've got other more favorable food sources between now and end of October that might help keep the pressure off. Rowcrops, acorns, still green native browse etc.

The only tops the deer will hit where I hunt is radish. Great mid october draw. They don't get on the bulbs until December at the absolute earliest. Most years they don't get on the bulbs til Feb.

I would spread some winter rye into it, to give it an insurance plan.
X2. Assuming there is bare spots or sparse areas I would broadcast 200 lbs of rye per acre. I have done it before and it really helped.

I wish I could over seed with Rye. I can’t get rain here. Been in a drought around here in Connecticut.

I wish I could over seed with Rye. I can’t get rain here. Been in a drought around here in Connecticut.

WR will germinate in the back of a pick-up truck bed, I'd spread it.

WR will germinate in the back of a pick-up truck bed, I'd spread it.
Without moisture NOTHING germinates. I feel your pain BobinCt, we got a nice shower this morning but it is to little to late for my brassica. My winter barley may not even be able to put enough growth on to be able to over winter. Last time I checked It hadn't even germinated yet. (No rain)

Without moisture NOTHING germinates. I feel your pain BobinCt, we got a nice shower this morning but it is to little to late for my brassica. My winter barley may not even be able to put enough growth on to be able to over winter. Last time I checked It hadn't even germinated yet. (No rain)

There is moisture that will move through the soil and dew from the night. You might be suprised at WR's abililty to germinate.