Fall Brassica Plan

Jerry-B-WI

5 year old buck +
Getting ready to do a fall brassica plot. I have very limited equipment, ATV, disc, ATV spreader and that's it. The plot isn't very big, about 9500 sqft

I already sprayed with gly two weeks ago. Should I spread lime, about 500#, then disc wait 2 weeks and spray again? Then broadcast the brassicas and pack it down by driving the atv over it. The mix I want to try says it has rape, kale, tillage radish, and three types of turnips. It doesn't list the ratios of each. It's from a local company Northwoods Whitetails.

I like the idea of spreading clover with the brassica mix and I like the no til idea but I have no way to mow.

Any advice would be appreciated.

I am no expert but that sounds like a good plan. I lack a tractor, a disk and a lime buggy, if I did I would do what you listed.

I have honeybees so I try not to use herbicide unless weeds become a problem. I am aiming for throw and mow.

I've done several brassica plots how you described. Limited equipment (w/o the disc). Kill the vegetation good, spread the seed/fertilizer, and hope for an inch of rain. I've "packed" my plots w/ atv tires and truck tires before. With a disc you should get good seed to soil contact.

Sounds like a good plan @Jerry-B-WI

That’s exactly what I did last summer. Plus some winter rye and chicory.

Attachments

• IMG_5044.jpeg
    IMG_5044.jpeg
    709.2 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_5045.jpeg
    IMG_5045.jpeg
    601.4 KB · Views: 25
How heavy did you guys seed and how much fertilizer if you used it?

100# WR, 12# various perennial clovers, 3# chicory, 3# various brassicas.

The brassicas came up so thick they partially shaded out my clover. But I frost seeded it in more clover this spring to hopefully thicken it.

That’s exactly what I did last summer. Plus some winter rye and chicory.
How did the chicory do with a fall broadcast? I have drilled them in late summer before with decent success, and I have frost-seeded chicory with even better success.

I did it in late summer too. I wanted to get bulb production, and boy did I!!!

So many bulbs and so little frost last winter that I have thousands of turnips that re-sprouted and have now bolted to 5’ tall. The does and fawns are loving it for bedding and staying away from the bugs. Plus with all of the clover and chicory coming underneath, they must be eating it too. But honestly can’t tell yet.

My chicory is very good to great in some spots, and pretty sparse in others within the same 1 acre. I’m guessing the patchiness has more to do with me and my seeding techniques than anything, but who knows?..

As far as fertilizer, I followed my soil test to a tee. Wasn’t cheap but I couldn’t have been happier with the results…..other than seeding 1.5 pounds too much brassicas. (Guess only).