June planting brassicas?

Right now the plots both have clover, rye and some brassicas…really want to do this as kind of an experiment I know my little green plot will never outcompete the surrounding ag corn, but my thinking is it only takes one hot doe to make that plot a good one. I only have an ATV, cultipacker and sprayer and plan to broadcast the seed into the standing rye then mow it short to mulch over top. I want to keep the one plot in rye all summer as fawning cover and to let both the clover and rye go to seed…did that exact method this year but on one plot I didn’t mow the clover low enough
Put a toothpick in the flashhole after loading it. Leave the pan empty. A deer comes by, fill the pan.

Far as brassica qaulity goes, I've wondered if the no-fertilizer no-till method would be better if brassicas were done every other or every 3rd year. Once the nitrgen is built up and weeds want to take over.

I also read somehere it's bad to do brassicas every year. Build up of root dieaases or a certain insect. Thats why I avoided using turnips every year in the past.

Last edited:
Put a toothpick in the flashhole after loading it. Leave the pan empty. A deer comes by, fill the pan.

Far as brassica qaulity goes, I've wondered if the no-fertilizer no-till method would be better if brassicas were done every other or every 3rd year. Once the nitrgen is built up and weeds want to take over.
I’ve never tilled these plots and only used nitrogen to help the brassicas twice..I probdbly should wait a year as they have been in there since 2021, but i think it could still work and I always have rye to scavenge the nitrogen from the clover…may even just let one of the plots just grow tall with high rye and clover …they seemed to like the taller clover and rye this year...still deciding on that one

Turnips and clover love boron. I add about 2-3lbs of borax soap per acre when I do tillage. Too much boron can cause toxicity though. Some food plotter add borax soap to their roundup sprays to even an even spread.

Turnips and clover love boron. I add about 2-3lbs of borax soap per acre when I do tillage. Too much boron can cause toxicity though. Some food plotter add borax soap to their roundup sprays to even an even spread.
That’s an interesting idea..could i add it to a liquid fertilizer too? Does it make them more appealing or just help them grow better?