Do it yourself treestand safety lines

scott44

5 year old buck +
About 4 years sgo I went through and made these for all my stands, I remember when I first started bow hunting I never wore a harness or anything, the older I get the less agile I am and I feel a lot safer using one of these. I went to the army surplus store and picked up everything to make these and if I remember it was around $25/ line. I didn't have this video but this is exactly like what I did. The other night I took some pics as I was getting in the tree, it was a pain at first but now it seems like second nature.

Hooking up on the ground

I used a screw in dog anchor to hold the bottom of the rope on this stand, others I just tie it to the bootom of the climbing stick

Here's a video of how to make them, I didn't have this but this is just what I did.

http://www.fieldandstream.com/blogs/whitetail-365/2010/07/video-make-your-own-treestand-safety-line

Last edited:
I've got an 11 month at home....it has changed how a view and do alot of things...in ways i would have never imagined in the past. I used to be like a spider monkey in a tree...no fear of heights certainly no fear of climbing some sketchy set ups. Now....all i do is think about tree stand safety. I have my knot tying merrit badge...lol....so this is something i have considered. thanks for the post and the link.

I've got an 11 month at home....it has changed how a view and do alot of things...in ways i would have never imagined in the past. I used to be like a spider monkey in a tree...no fear of heights certainly no fear of climbing some sketchy set ups. Now....all i do is think about tree stand safety. I have my knot tying merrit badge...lol....so this is something i have considered. thanks for the post and the link.

Little ones tend to do that to a guy :D

I think of the stands I used before kids and it is scary. I can't believe I never fell. Safety first now.

Little ones tend to do that to a guy :D

its a whole different world that i live in now...lol. wouldn't trade it for a damn thing tho!

I also was one who never thought twice about what or how I got up as tree. I don't bounce like I use to so now it's a harness and line.

What knot is that on your prussic?

Kind of looks like a square knot to me but hard to tell with the carabiner in it.

Square wouldn't have both tails the same direction.

Chummer mentioned scary stands used before kids. How many of you guys used the old Bakers? :eek::eek:

I have an 11 month old too and it has totally changed me. I always thought that these "safety lines" were just something else to get in the way but this year I have actually bought them for all of the trees that I use more than once a season

Where can a guy buy the supplies to make these for himself?

Where can a guy buy the supplies to make these for himself?

The OP said he went to an Army Navy Store. the link in the bottom of the OP's post has a great video demonstration as well. I'm sure some hardware stores may carry the ropes as well.

The OP said he went to an Army Navy Store. the link in the bottom of the OP's post has a great video demonstration as well. I'm sure some hardware stores may carry the ropes as well.
Missed the army store part oops

not sure if a braided poly will do....but i found a 140 ft spool on amazon for $36.99 and free shipping.

not sure if a braided poly will do....but i found a 140 ft spool on amazon for $36.99 and free shipping.
I did some Google searches and it looks like they use climbing rope for them which has a lot higher breaking strength than poly rope, it would probably be better than nothing but not what's recommended

I did some Google searches and it looks like they use climbing rope for them which has a lot higher breaking strength than poly rope, it would probably be better than nothing but not what's recommended
arborist rope looks like it will do the trick....a little spendy for the most part tho.

REI has climbing rope, arborist rope would be load rated as well. You don't want to use braided poly.

What knot is that on your prussic?

Sorry about the delay in getting back to you on this but we have been gone for a couple days, I took a good look at the Hunter Safety Systems life line and tried to mimic them and the knot on the prussic is a double over hand also the rope I found at the army supplus had wieght ratings on it so I picked the highest one. The ropes I have are all 5/8" and I can't remember the load rating. I'm sure you could find rope at other places but I have a army surplus store real close just watch the strength ratings.