Do it yourself treestand safety lines

I make my own as well. Get my supplies from a local arborist store. I use a locked Brummell splice to make the terminal loop and put a carabiner on it so when I get to the top I can throw it around the tree and clip in he main line. Another difference is that I use a kliemheist(sp) knot rather than a Prusic. It seems to slide a little better. The only real difference between the knots is the kliem is only load bearing in one direction, don't figure I will ever fall up a tree. I tie on a camping carabiner at the bottom and use the safety line as my pull up rope as well.

I make my own as well. Get my supplies from a local arborist store. I use a locked Brummell splice to make the terminal loop and put a carabiner on it so when I get to the top I can throw it around the tree and clip in he main line. Another difference is that I use a kliemheist(sp) knot rather than a Prusic. It seems to slide a little better. The only real difference between the knots is the kliem is only load bearing in one direction, don't figure I will ever fall up a tree. I tie on a camping carabiner at the bottom and use the safety line as my pull up rope as well.
any pics of your set up?

I use the seatbelt straps that come with stands, and then double wrap them around the tree.

IMAG0228.jpg

Phil sorry but I do not have any pics of them. In Jim's pic above, that is the kliemheist that I use to attach to the main line.

Phil sorry but I do not have any pics of them. In Jim's pic above, that is the kliemheist that I use to attach to the main line.
Thanks!

I switch between klemheist and prussic depending on how long my loop is. The one pictured is on the shorter end, and doesn't leave much tail to hook through if I do a prussic.

All my stands, except my sole ladder stand, have permanent safety lines and all my guests are provided harnesses and loops for prussic's along with a beaner. That way everyone's safe when they go up a tree no matter which stand they choose or if they decide to move during the day. My ladder stand still has a life line, but you clip into it when you reach the top and it's an easy climb.

All of them also have utility lines for pulling your weapon up to you. Those have been more problematic than the safety lines, as the nylon cord I chose is mouse or squirrel food. For whatever reason, they love eating it about 5' off the ground. I've got some 550 cord that I'll be upgrading them to this fall. Hopefully the critters don't like it as much as the other stuff.

most people make the mistake of using "non" climbing rope. climbing rope is broken into two categories. One being static and the the other being dynamic. For ALL climbing stand set ups where you are using it for the ascent and descent you NEED a dynamic rope. That rope has stretch and it's like a rubber band. The static rope is for anchor points and has zero to little stretch. If you would fall the shock on a static rope could break and also injure from the shock.

To the original post pictures. The pic of the stand with the climbing sticks on an angle. Makes me kinda cringe a little. The load is being transferred on a funny angle, I am sure it's FINE, but those sticks are designed to be interlocking and the load is carried down the central tubing. I am really goofy when it comes to tree stand safety and I will never get in or out of stand unless I am hooked up to my prussic. Take a look at the angle and check for stress fractures so I check it off of my mental worry list. ;)

and I think it's mounted upside down... :)

most people make the mistake of using "non" climbing rope. climbing rope is broken into two categories. One being static and the the other being dynamic. For ALL climbing stand set ups where you are using it for the ascent and descent you NEED a dynamic rope. That rope has stretch and it's like a rubber band. The static rope is for anchor points and has zero to little stretch. If you would fall the shock on a static rope could break and also injure from the shock.

To the original post pictures. The pic of the stand with the climbing sticks on an angle. Makes me kinda cringe a little. The load is being transferred on a funny angle, I am sure it's FINE, but those sticks are designed to be interlocking and the load is carried down the central tubing. I am really goofy when it comes to tree stand safety and I will never get in or out of stand unless I am hooked up to my prussic. Take a look at the angle and check for stress fractures so I check it off of my mental worry list. ;)

and I think it's mounted upside down... :)

what about in the case where the tether on your harness is designed for shock absorbsion? would you still want the dynamic line vs. the static...to prevent line breakage from the initial shock?

the rope that is used for climbing up and down a tree needs to be dynamic. The harness also has shock absorption properties. You will need both for sure. Most have tear aways that have thread sewed in them. If you fall once and those are gone, the harness must be repaired or replaced. Plus the most important thing in a harness is the suspension relief harness.

Please keep in mind that no one has mentioned how quickly even climbing/mountaineering rope deteriorates when left out exposed to the elements. I had a good friend fall getting out of a stand and die. I did a TON of research on ropes and spoke to many manufacturers. Every single road led me to the same conclusion - for a hunter who wants to leave his rope in the tree all fall (and worse yet for multiple years), no rope will provide proper long term fall protection. The only thing that will work is a cable.

Please keep in mind that no one has mentioned how quickly even climbing/mountaineering rope deteriorates when left out exposed to the elements. I had a good friend fall getting out of a stand and die. I did a TON of research on ropes and spoke to many manufacturers. Every single road led me to the same conclusion - for a hunter who wants to leave his rope in the tree all fall (and worse yet for multiple years), no rope will provide proper long term fall protection. The only thing that will work is a cable.

As anyone used a cable? I assume with a cable you can't use a prusik knot. You must have to use some kind of cable slide?

I'm interested in putting some safety lines up, but would prefer to do it right the 1st time. The odds of us pulling all of our ropes is pretty low. As it wouldn't be possible until after gun season, and we stay out of most of my land after August 1st. Meaning they would have to be deployed a minimum of 5 months. That's a long time for rope.

Thanks,

-John

You need to use a cable grab in place of the prusik. I've use horizontal life line but never a vertical. Just make sure you use one rated for fall protection.

http://www.fallprotectionusa.com/DBI/Verticals/5000338.htm Good unit

http://www.amazon.com/Guardian-Fall...TF8&qid=1421609985&sr=8-3&keywords=cable+grab Good unit

http://www.amazon.com/Klein-Tools-1...TF8&qid=1421609985&sr=8-1&keywords=cable+grab I wouldn't trust my life to this as it is not rate for fall protection.

I have not used the cable yet. They do sell mechanical devices that work similar to the prusset knot. The issue is the overall cost. Everything is very expensive even for a few stands. We normally have 30 at least. But, the price of a life is certainly worth it. I am going to try to do a better job with the stands and ascending and descending in 2015. Getting in and out of stands is really an area where the manufactures have let the consumer down.