Cover crop info

phil@thesidehill

5 year old buck +
Found some decent cover crop info. This link is for the red clover as a cover crop summary. Most of the info on these pages is geared more towards agronomy but still has some good points to consider for us plotters.

http://extension.psu.edu/plants/cro...rops/management-of-red-clover-as-a-cover-crop

Based on that calculation I wonder how many nitrogen credits you would obtain when broadcasting into yellowing beans and terminating in the spring for corn?

It might be better particularly for us northern states with shorter growing seasons to focus on rye.

I broadcast 3 acres of red clover last year into my soybeans for this years corn crop. It will be interesting to see how the clover looks this spring compared to the 3 acres of Rye I broadcast into standing corn last year. I like the idea of red clover I'm just have not had enough time yet to determine if I'll get the nitrogen credit.

Has anybody up north had success getting good nitrogen credits with this method?

Good article Phil. Thanks for posting. Our guys want to plant a strip of corn this spring and broadcasting med. red into the corn at the end of June like the article says farmers do sounds like a good idea. Planting then eliminates big competition with the corn, provides some fall greens and fixes N. Good deal.