Seeds for 2023

I've always heard that 2-4d has a carryover effect on newly seeded crops....and you need to wait 10 days after spraying to plant new crops. No?

So yes on 2-4d. So you can spray then broadcast seed about 7 days later. Or you can up your seed amount. Also depends on what you are seeding.

I've always heard that 2-4d has a carryover effect on newly seeded crops....and you need to wait 10 days after spraying to plant new crops. No?

Honestly foggy I rarely use 2-4d. If you use 2quarts/acre of gly with AMS and NIS it will be gone. Balansa is an annual and will be deader than a doorknob with what I just said. Only time I use 2-4d is for a preplant burndown on native stuff for starting a new plot, or in some native grass establishment.

Balansa is the only clover i seen browsed at my place in the summertime.

Balansa is the only clover i seen browsed at my place in the summertime.
That chit has to out-compete every other thing? NO?

That chit has to out-compete every other thing? NO?
Not mine. I always planted it in early August. I'll get clumps and pockets of it to come back in the spring, and I have no idea if it's biennial, or if there is hard seed laying until spring. That clover, and crimson and berseem really irritate the hell out of me. I've never been able to grow crimson and berseem, no matter how much of it I put out there. Balansa has been good, but still sparse. I just don't know when to put it in to get it to go.

It’s a lot easier if you spray.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It’s a lot easier if you spray.

giphy.gif

I planted Fixation Balansa one fall in zone 3. The next summer I had a crop thick and dense just like they show on their website. I don’t know if anything ate it all spring/ summer.

I’m not exaggerating to say there was 4” of thick matted clover with stems 5’ long. Without tillage there was no way for me to get the next crops seed to the ground. It was that thick.

It looked like this picture I copied off the internet somewhere.

f47fa1229747e2daac2aacbf29571793.jpg

Wow. Hard to imagine that much biomass getting past the deer in my plots and that seems really cool but I can see how it would create a problem for planting the next crop.

Was it clear that you had a really good start on it the prior fall after planting?

Wow. Hard to imagine that much biomass getting past the deer in my plots and that seems really cool but I can see how it would create a problem for planting the next crop.

Was it clear that you had a really good start on it the prior fall after planting?

It was not that clear at all TBH. The brassicas were dominant in the Fall.

So yes on 2-4d. So you can spray then broadcast seed about 7 days later. Or you can up your seed amount. Also depends on what you are seeding.

So will 2-4d work on white & red clovers? Looking to add it to my gly spraying this spring. My clovers are very thick and need to eliminate to prep for cover crop planting.

just saw this pic from Spring 2022.....which was after an extremely rough winter. Things to eat were pretty sparse in the north country. The deer were starving.....and I was so glad I had a good Rye / clover planting to meet those deer in spring. spring rye and clover blend.jpg

I spose this is as good a place as any to ask… I’ve been doing 3 acres of plots for about 5 years now, but as I incorporate more and more cover cropping I’ve been hesitant to add hairy vetch after reading it’s possibly poisonous. Can anyone set me straight, it looks like an awesome cover crop, do I need to worry about this?

I spose this is as good a place as any to ask… I’ve been doing 3 acres of plots for about 5 years now, but as I incorporate more and more cover cropping I’ve been hesitant to add hairy vetch after reading it’s possibly poisonous. Can anyone set me straight, it looks like an awesome cover crop, do I need to worry about this?
I've got my property covered in HV. Never heard the poison part though. I do worry about it overpowering a plot though. I had a really nice and tall stand last summer, and eventually the vetch just consumed it all and took it to the ground.

I still like it in the margins where I'm not plotting. I just don't like it in a plot anymore.

Not mine. I always planted it in early August. I'll get clumps and pockets of it to come back in the spring, and I have no idea if it's biennial, or if there is hard seed laying until spring. That clover, and crimson and berseem really irritate the hell out of me. I've never been able to grow crimson and berseem, no matter how much of it I put out there. Balansa has been good, but still sparse. I just don't know when to put it in to get it to go.
When are you throwing the crimson out there?

April, June, and August. It's never grown for me.

April, June, and August. It's never grown for me.
huh, never had any issues with crimson so far. Planted may/august. A bunch even survived winter.

huh, never had any issues with crimson so far. Planted may/august. A bunch even survived winter.
I may have had bad seed. It was only a year old, so I figured I'd at least get some. But I got zeros on both crimson and berseem.

I may have had bad seed. It was only a year old, so I figured I'd at least get some. But I got zeros on both crimson and berseem.
Maybe. I only used fresh seed. Maybe crimson doesn't last as long as typical red/white because its larger seed?