Seeds for 2023

Just ordered my home plot seeds from Merit, (albeit on a much smaller scale than all of you) who I have been using for a few years.
Their prices are still the same as last year's and I have had good success with their products.
Now I have to just keep myself from frost seeding too early....

I have been using Welters Seed for about 10 years now. I am typically buying 600-1000 lbs of seed from them every year. Knowledgeable people, great variety, and i get what I order in about 2 days.

Just had 400 lbs of cow peas, sudan sorghum, & sun hemp delivered to my loading dock on a pallet. Had the guys fork lift the pallet into my truck..

The y have some nice deer mixes which range from $2-$4/lbs, pretty good pricing. see link below. when i want a quick broadcast mix for mid summer it works well.
I started buying at Welter as a result of the recommendations by "Lick Creek" back in the day. Have bought from them nearly every year....but have tried a few others too. Going to check out their mixes once more. May need to add to my order.

I have been using Welters Seed for about 10 years now. I am typically buying 600-1000 lbs of seed from them every year. Knowledgeable people, great variety, and i get what I order in about 2 days.

Just had 400 lbs of cow peas, sudan sorghum, & sun hemp delivered to my loading dock on a pallet. Had the guys fork lift the pallet into my truck..

The y have some nice deer mixes which range from $2-$4/lbs, pretty good pricing. see link below. when i want a quick broadcast mix for mid summer it works well.
Was that a mix?

thanks

bill

Was that a mix?

thanks

bill

I have used both the Big Buck perennial mix and Big Buck annual mix with good results. Disclaimer ... the do not put a picture of a big buck on the bag ... no BOB seed. 😀😜

you can always buy some additional seed types to mix in as they will sell in small increments.

I've planted some of the Big Buck Annual ^ mix with good results. Never paid much attention to their Perennial Mix....but that now looks appealing too....and the price are good considering some of those contents gets a little $$$ when bought alone. One thing I do wonder at times on mixes tho.....is combining small seeds and big seeds.....when some need to be planted deeper than others. I know allot of guys say to not worry about such stuff......but ??? (not these mixes as said here.....tho those peas in the annual mix should likely be planted deeper than the others?. Also why I like two seed boxes.

I've planted some of the Big Buck Annual ^ mix with good results. Never paid much attention to their Perennial Mix....but that now looks appealing too....and the price are good considering some of those contents gets a little $$$ when bought alone. One thing I do wonder at times on mixes tho.....is combining small seeds and big seeds.....when some need to be planted deeper than others. I know allot of guys say to not worry about such stuff......but ??? (not these mixes as said here.....tho those peas in the annual mix should likely be planted deeper than the others?. Also why I like two seed boxes.

I agree, don't like mixing large seed with small seed. Depth is an issue but also too much small seed getting through beyond seeding rates.

That big buck perennial sounds very interesting. Haven't heard of burnet as a food plot seed in many years. Mixing this with some boston plantain I have on order might be the ticket where I plant.

Just reached out to agassiz seed and supply for a quote because I thought the area rep might be local to me. Turns out he's a friend of my cousins and uncle and can drop seed off at my house without shipping charges. Score! Prices were a little higher per # than on welters or green cover websites but still comes out quite a bit ahead with no shipping even on just the small seeds.

Ordered some Frosty Berseem clover, dynamite red clover, spring forage barley, and rape seed. I'm going to frost seed the small stuff (need to research the rye part) at my parents place that were pure brassica plots that will be barren because we neglected to overseed with winter cereals / clover.

@Foggy47 - I know you've got your challenges planting fall plots into perennial clovers. My current game plan to minimize that fight is going to be this: Fall plots whether brassicas, LC'ish grain mix, or both together, will all get a blend of Fixation balansa, dynamite red, kentucky pride crimson (more winter hardy than dixie) planted as well. My logic for this: brassicas and grains will mostly outcompete the clovers in the fall but they'll come on strong in the spring and do the nitrogen fixing for the following year. Balansa and crimson will die easily and wont compete with the following fall's planting. Red clover component is in the mix in case a brutal winter with minimal snow cover kills all the fixation/crimson. That's the theory at least, we'll see how it plays out in practice!

Last edited:
You’re like a scientist with your mixes Gypsy!

Balansa and crimson will die easily
Doesn't Balansa clover set a lot of hard seed (for the seed bank) to extend the plot for a number of years??

Doesn't Balansa clover set a lot of hard seed (for the seed bank) to extend the plot for a number of years??
Yep.....read that too. With all the various seeds I've been dumping on my land the past few years.....one would think the seed bank will contribute lots of good things going forward.

I've read that it can but it didn't seem like something a guy should count on as a sure thing? They are more attractive to me for the idea of killing easily and not competing with new plantings. The only perennial planting I plan on maintaining is about a 10' wide ring around the perimeter of my plots.

Just a novice who spends too much time reading and mentally masturbating about these things!
that is probably the strangest way I have ever heard of obsessing about food plots BUT I think the majority of us spend far more time thinking about what to put in our plots and where and when or what trees should go where and when and how than we do about alot of other things....(at least I know I do haha)

I planted Fixation Balansa one fall in zone 3. The next summer I had a crop thick and dense just like they show on their website. I don’t know if anything ate it all spring/ summer.

I’m not exaggerating to say there was 4” of thick matted clover with stems 5’ long. Without tillage there was no way for me to get the next crops seed to the ground. It was that thick.

It looked like this picture I copied off the internet somewhere.

f47fa1229747e2daac2aacbf29571793.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I planted Fixation Balansa one fall in zone 3. The next summer I had a crop thick and dense just like they show on their website. I don’t know if anything ate it all spring/ summer.

I’m not exaggerating to say there was 4” of thick matted clover with stems 5’ long. Without tillage there was no way for me to get the next crops seed to the ground. It was that thick.

The idea that it takes a couple of seasons for deer to get used to new food sources seems real. If it grows that good for you then I wouldn’t hesitate planting it again.

Seems strange the deer didnt eat it. That looks like fantastic biomass. Wonder how a flail mower would work in that stuff. Was this grown in Kooch County?

Last edited:
Or just broadcast fall crop and spray with gly and 2-4d.

Seems strange the deer didnt eat it. That looks like fantastic biomass. Wonder how a flail mower would work in that stuff. Was this grown in Kooch County?
Yeah. It was up at my old place. I tried to broadcast WR on top then mow it down. It "sort of" worked.

Or just broadcast fall crop and spray with gly and 2-4d.
I've always heard that 2-4d has a carryover effect on newly seeded crops....and you need to wait 10 days after spraying to plant new crops. No?

Last edited: