Christensen Arms Long Range Mesa break in and testing

Native Hunter

5 year old buck +
My son recently purchased this gun in 300 Win Mag. I put the bases on it and scoped it for him. We recently tested the gun with some factory shells as we were going through the break in process recommended by the manufacturer. I went with all steel bases and rings and a Leupold scope. My observations:

• The porting surprised me at how much it tamed the recoil of the 300 Mag. Of course, the gun is heavy, which also helps. Due to these two factors, I couldn't tell that the gun kicked any worse than my light Tikka 308 when shooting from the bench with sandbags. It was a pleasant surprise.
  • Everything functioned well. The bolt throw is nice and I love the Tactical spiderweb stock. I also love the finish.
  • Even though they make their own actions, a standard Rem 700 base fits the gun.
  • Tried 3 factory shells. Two did awesome and the third was just so so. Shown below are the results with each ammo after break in:
    • Hornady Superformance 180 SST. Last two groups fired under 1/2 inch @ 100 yds.
    • Barnes Vortex 180 grain. Last two groups just barely over 1/2 inch @ 100 yds. I decided to leave the gun sighted in for this load since I have several on hand.
    • Nosler 180. Groups just a tad over an inch.
jeP91Cph.jpg

pohjcmjh.jpg

RPA09tLh.jpg

exPiZ8Ih.jpg

f1keDZWh.jpg

x5rEUpdh.jpg

raoMEmxh.jpg

v3ur4RNh.jpg

b7cMyjBh.jpg

Christensen makes some guns with carbon wrapped barrel that are much more expensive than this one. However, it's hard to imagine them shooting much better. This guns shoots factory loads so well I doubt son will want me to fool with reloading for it. But, I can whip him up a load if he wants one.

Hope you enjoy!

Buddy has that gun with the carbon wrapped barrel and he handloads. His elk last year was like 887 yards and he one shot killed it.

Your son has one beautiful gun Native Hunter! I love that spiderweb stock, is the gun crazy loud from the porting?

Your son has one beautiful gun Native Hunter! I love that spiderweb stock, is the gun crazy loud from the porting?

Thanks David. The ports are angled at about 45 degrees. If you happened to be standing behind the gun at just the right angle, it would be louder. I don't think the shooter gets much more noise, and of course, I wouldn't shoot it without good ear protection.