BWCA gopro failure

Greta&Gus

5 year old buck +
So I got a gopro for my bday and brought it to the BWCA this past weekend. I attached it to my net to record me bagging the 'big one'. I had a lake trout follow my rap up to the canoe and bite down but not run. I waited for him because I didn't want to pull it out of his mouth. Eventually he shook his head and the fight was on. I got the net into position and turned the camera on. Well, I ended up blowing the dang net job and knocked the fish off. Very disappointing but cool video.

Great trip otherwise though. Fishing was good in the evening and I caught a really nice pike.

I'll bet you will remember that longer than if you had landed him.

How big was he?

another lake trout story.

About fifteen years ago, I was into making wooden spearing decoys. I had a new type that was painted all white. No red on it yet, but I was just testing how it would swim. I was out on a bar in foggy's old lake, Big Trout. I dropped that decoy down and a big head popped in the hole. I grabbed the spear, but did not throw it as something did not look right. It was a nice lake trout and he came back several times.

I also saw several whitefish that day and they were so fast that I could not get them. Those are the only whitefish I have ever seen, but I have speared some nice tullibees.

I've got a collection of old spearing decoys going back over 50 years.

Sorry to steal your thread, Dan.

No worries, that is a great story. Fish stories are only second to deer stories. Much like your story I actually didn't know it was a trout a first because I had a lot of follow-ups from pike all weekend. Hard to say on size, but I would guess him in the 23 or 24 inch range. I was honestly depressed after it happened but on our way back to our camp I was trolling a rap and landed a 30 inch northern. A nice fish makes up for a terrible loss.

;)And you know, those stories remind me of my uncle's stories when he was in his 90's. Nobody was around to prove you wrong!

The fish story can grow if you never landed it and nobody can prove you wrong.

;)And you know, those stories remind me of my uncle's stories when he was in his 90's. Nobody was around to prove you wrong!

The fish story can grow if you never landed it and nobody can prove you wrong.
Yep.....that trout looks to be "at least" 30" from this angle. ;) Kinda like "net and release".