I'm getting frustrated

Bill Loser

5 year old buck +
With my neighbor.
Guy has hunted the same stand no matter what the wind is every day but 1 for the last 2 weeks. Tonight he text to see if I was going to hunt I answered I wanted to but would get home after 5 ,to late to try to get in stand. 5:30 I get a text telling that he had just climbed in and talked about all the deer he kicked off the field and the ones that were on the woods edge he spooked. He has to walk 200 yards across a cut corn field to get to this stand. This is at least the 3rd time he went in late, last time he got in late( like 5 pm) then after 5 minutes decides it's to windy (blowing directly to where the deer come from I may add) and moves to the complete other side of the same field, walking right across the middle of the field .
My frustration is everything he does on his affects mine, the deer are coming out later and later and he can't figure out why.....
Nothing I can do, it's his land and not breaking the law so not my place to say anything. Just wanted to vent a bit.
I went from seeing 20 plus to nearly nothing and everything is spooky as hell now after all his stupid moves.

How much land you got there.

I have 20 acres.

Yea that sucks! I had a perfect little spot up in Nebraska that I got permission to hunt, it was a heavily thicketed draw located in mostly pasture ground with a little crop next to it. It was basically a oasis in the middle of nowhere. I saw a couple of huge bucks in there when I was trapping coyotes the year before. Apparently, someone else found the spot and got permission as well. Except the moron hung his stand on the other side of the property. He had to walk across a tiny cornfield out in the open to get to his stand. He continually hunted it with the wrong wind. I never saw a deer when I hunted it, I am sure he had spooked them out so many times they just left. I never went back after the 1st year.

Growing up my dad and I had permission to hunt the neighbors property. Such a great little spot. Called my stand the honey hole. Then out of towners bought the property next to it and proceeded to put a blind 60 yards from my treestand and directly upwind of where the deer come from. Completely ruined that spot.

We both have 20s. Mostly field and edges. I have a thicket /marsh type area they love to hang in.
It's mostly a food source here, not much bedding ,or cover. Doesn't take much to make them not want to come back. That's why I try to be as careful as possible.

Any way to screen the field off so deer on you don't see him?
The deer normally travel from his onto mine. I could screen but not sure what good it would do. It's kind of a weird ass trip with weird travel patterns from the deer. From that direction they travel from the southeast meandering to the north and west coming onto my property. From the north they usually come from the northwest and meander through to the south and east onto his.
He isn't a bad guy, we've always gotten along and have open permission from both parties to enter and or shoot onto each others land.
I'm very cognizant of doing anything on mine that affects his land so it sucks when I don't see that coming back. Hell last spring when I was cutting up downed trees on his woods edge I even drug all the brush up to the east side of his stand to try to push the deer to the west (predominant winds here).of his stand. So that said I have no intention at this point to say anything to him. How he hunts is his business, BUT how he hunts is affecting my hunting. I think the worst for me is that I'm actually hoping for bad luck for him, something I've never felt before for any law abiding hunter.

It sounds like you have a good relationship with him. How about sitting down with him over beer and discussing how to collectively work together to improve both of your hunting properties. I assume with his hunting tactics he isn't shooting anything and might be open to some collaborative efforts to improve his hunting. Maybe also introduce him to the HT forum in an effort to increase his knowledge of deer hunting, just don't let him read this thread!

The deer normally travel from his onto mine. I could screen but not sure what good it would do. It's kind of a weird ass trip with weird travel patterns from the deer. From that direction they travel from the southeast meandering to the north and west coming onto my property. From the north they usually come from the northwest and meander through to the south and east onto his.
He isn't a bad guy, we've always gotten along and have open permission from both parties to enter and or shoot onto each others land.
I'm very cognizant of doing anything on mine that affects his land so it sucks when I don't see that coming back. Hell last spring when I was cutting up downed trees on his woods edge I even drug all the brush up to the east side of his stand to try to push the deer to the west (predominant winds here).of his stand. So that said I have no intention at this point to say anything to him. How he hunts is his business, BUT how he hunts is affecting my hunting. I think the worst for me is that I'm actually hoping for bad luck for him, something I've never felt before for any law abiding hunter.
Maybe a screen and cut a few access for deer? Maybe herd them through those alleys when he is acting like a dumbass.

I always try to beat my neighbors to the woods if I can and use them for driving the deer to me if possible. Not always able to do it in the morning but if I stay out all day they push deer to me after they go in for lunch and a nap or whatever they do. When they go back out for the evening hunt they make a push and don't know they're doing it.

What Doublewide said or maybe just get into a discussion about how YOU play the wind. Maybe he will see the error of his ways……and maybe not. It can’t hurt !

Literally he's been in that stand every night since I first posted this.
walks across the field to his stand 10 to 15 minutes before dark, walks back and forth peering into the woods...gee where do you think the deer might be right now?
Then last night he texts lamenting how it's been so slow down there lately. I answered, maybe they're sick of seeing you? He chuckled and said he's heard that before. Then asked why I haven't been out, told him winds been wrong for my stands and I've been getting home late and would get out before 10 or 15 minutes before dark and don't want to spook deer on my way out.
Dude just don't get it. He's always been a little off, usually shoots everything he sees, now he's a BIG buck hunter. Lol

Literally he's been in that stand every night since I first posted this.
walks across the field to his stand 10 to 15 minutes before dark, walks back and forth peering into the woods...gee where do you think the deer might be right now?
Then last night he texts lamenting how it's been so slow down there lately. I answered, maybe they're sick of seeing you? He chuckled and said he's heard that before. Then asked why I haven't been out, told him winds been wrong for my stands and I've been getting home late and would get out before 10 or 15 minutes before dark and don't want to spook deer on my way out.
Dude just don't get it. He's always been a little off, usually shoots everything he sees, now he's a BIG buck hunter. Lol
I laughed out loud when I read this. Only saving grace is while they're looking at him, they're not looking for you!

I laughed out loud when I read this. Only saving grace is while they're looking at him, they're not looking for you!
Yeah, I've never seen him like this before.its like he's blinded by blood lust or something. Not sure what's going on with him

Sounds like he just doesn't know how to hunt.

Reminds me of a guy my cousin let Turkey hunt on his place one time. As he walked across a wide open field he would be running a box call.

I wonder sometimes if the sheer volume of whitetail hunting information that exists causes some people to completely miss the most basic fundamentals.
I've experienced a neighbor ruining a small property before as well. Very small woodlot and he plops his redneck blind down in the middle of the bedding+ setting up a camera in front of it which he checked regularly. Deer need some place to be, they don't just appear out of thin air 30 minutes before dark.

I wonder sometimes if the sheer volume of whitetail hunting information that exists causes some people to completely miss the most basic fundamentals.
I've experienced a neighbor ruining a small property before as well. Very small woodlot and he plops his redneck blind down in the middle of the bedding+ setting up a camera in front of it which he checked regularly. Deer need some place to be, they don't just appear out of thin air 30 minutes before dark.
That's what I need to get through to my neighbor. He doesn't seem to realize that every time he bumps them he changes their patterns, they start coming out later, then move their travel corridors, after that my fear is they will vacate the area completely. Then we are both screwed.
In the bright side, for right now they moved to the north side. Which helps me, for now.

Serious question but since I don't know the guy I don't want to make assumptions... How old is he? Is there a possibility that dementia is setting in? I've know a few people who have/had different types of dementia. It can be a weird thing. A guy can seem perfectly normal in almost all aspects but makes no sense in a singular thing that he used to be good at. From my experience it's very frustrating for the people around them (until they know what's going on then everything that had been going on adds up). Good luck with resolving the situation. From what you've posted I can't think of anything I'd done differently, other than maybe help him fill his tags so that he'll quit hunting for the season.