Mass. Opening Day Buck - Tracking on Snow and Wet Leaves

Is that only on public or something where you can't leave the carcass?

Is that only on public or something where you can't leave the carcass?

During the Mass. shotgun season deer must be checked in at a check station, thus you can't pack out the meat.

In Vermont where I also hunt the entire deer must be checked in, so no packing meat out.

But now you've got me thinking. During Mass. bow season, it is not a requirement to physically check in a deer at a station. The law says that "the deer must remain intact until reported." So, it would legal in that case to check in the deer online via your PC or phone, and then pack the meat out if you so desired.

I hunt Maine occasionally. There the deer must be transported in full view and checked at a check station. However, the law does allow for the meat to be packed out. A successful hunter needs only to present the meat, head, and evidence of sex. But it's just not done. Packing out the meat is just not a part of deer hunting culture in the Maine (and generally in New England). The drag, the drive into town with the deer strapped to the hood or in the bed, the deer camp buck pole...those are all traditions that feature largely with most hunters. I have just never heard of anybody packing meat out, whether the law allows for it or not.

Last edited:
I just now found your thread, Natty. CONGRATS on taking a big-woods buck the Benoit way!!!!!!! Way to track 'em, Natty!! Great story too. No gut pile for the coyotes - regardless of any laws - nice. I've hunted Maine several times, and can appreciate your hunting / tracking method. I like your description of hunting like there's a deer behind every tree - watching you possibly. I don't envy that drag you had, though!!! Enjoy the venison. A mature, northern big-woods buck doesn't have to score 130+ to be a trophy!!! Yours IS a trophy.

Congrats again, friend!!! 👍

I just now found your thread, Natty. CONGRATS on taking a big-woods buck the Benoit way!!!!!!! Way to track 'em, Natty!! Great story too. No gut pile for the coyotes - regardless of any laws - nice. I've hunted Maine several times, and can appreciate your hunting / tracking method. I like your description of hunting like there's a deer behind every tree - watching you possibly. I don't envy that drag you had, though!!! Enjoy the venison. A mature, northern big-woods buck doesn't have to score 130+ to be a trophy!!! Yours IS a trophy.

Congrats again, friend!!! 👍

Thanks Bows. Appreciate that. I've never gotten a big 200+ lb. deer in Maine. Can't even imagine trying to drag a big Maine bruiser out of the woods. Don't think I could do it myself.
Five years to retirement though, and I'll be spending weeks on end up there chasing big woods Northern whitetails!