Barrel Swap Project

Jordan Selsor

5 year old buck +
I have been on an AR kick lately. Took a 223 rifle and did a barrel swap to 6.5 Grendel last night. The Gren will be used as a light weight deer and varmint rifle. Wanted to take a safe queen rifle and turn it into something I can get some use out of. I went with the 6.5 Grendel b/c I currently reload for 6.5 creedmore and have a variety of bullets on hand for reloading. I bucked up and ordered a fairly pricey faxon SS/nitrated match barrel. By my standards anyway. This was after ordering a cheaper barrel and sending it back b/c it was horrendous. Lesson learned. You get what you pay for. First pic is the barrel I sent back. I put this note in the box with it. lol
image1 (9).jpeg
IMG_0899.JPG

Last edited:
The rifle. Waiting on a muzzle brake to arrive in the mail. Hope to test fire it this wk. The faxon barrel is a thing of beauty with perfect machining an tooling
IMG_0892 (1).jpg
IMG_0871.jpg

Nice ar Jordan. I too have a few ar15s. They are fun to build. Where did you get your barrel from?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Great build, and whoever machined the end of that first barrel needs fired. The insert must have been beat to hell on that tool!

looks like it was dropped breech end down on blacktop........ how did the box it arrived in look?

It may have been dropped, but if you look close you can see ridges and lines from a worn out tooling insert as well as burrs on the edges. The gouges actually like like leftovers from an insert breakage.

How in the world did that first barrel make it out of the company's quality inspection area? Made in America used to mean something and by the look of your second barrel it still does to some companies. Your note was spot on and hilarious also! One of the members of my gun club has a 6.5 Grendel upper for sale and I have talked to him about it once already. What brand of muzzle brake did you order? I have a few different AR-15 ones and find they work great but the trade off is the extra loud sounds they produce. Not great if you have shooters on either side of you on the shooting line.

How about this for sending gasses down the shooting line?
b0843afe8a033d458f8a62227d76366a.jpg

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I shoot at my own home range most of the time. When I need to shoot at longer distances I go to my gun club which has a range out to 1,000 yards. When I go to the gun club, I always try to take the bench at either end of the shooting line and inform others that I have a muzzle brake on my rifle. I really like all my muzzle brakes and find the recoil reduction a help in better shooting and for faster follow up shots.

Nice ar Jordan. I too have a few ar15s. They are fun to build. Where did you get your barrel from?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Thanks Jimmy. Barrel came from primary arms out of Texas. They run great sales and get stuff shipped really quickly.

looks like it was dropped breech end down on blacktop........ how did the box it arrived in look?
Barrel came packed really well. No damage to the box. The receiver feed ramp end appeared to have some wear on it. I have a theory that this was taken off a returned rifle and the chatter marks are from rust between a muzzle brake and barrel end. Unbelievable they would send something like this out the door!

How in the world did that first barrel make it out of the company's quality inspection area? Made in America used to mean something and by the look of your second barrel it still does to some companies. Your note was spot on and hilarious also! One of the members of my gun club has a 6.5 Grendel upper for sale and I have talked to him about it once already. What brand of muzzle brake did you order? I have a few different AR-15 ones and find they work great but the trade off is the extra loud sounds they produce. Not great if you have shooters on either side of you on the shooting line.
Yep don’t see how Diamond Back could send this out.
I ordered a Ghost brake from GRID defense on black fri for $20. Brake sure made a big difference on my AR 10 308. I hunted with it this yr. Had a blast shooting does!
Here is the brake
http://www.ghostrifles.com/ghost-axe-muzzle-brake-black-nitride-308/

Last edited:
How about this for sending gasses down the shooting line?
b0843afe8a033d458f8a62227d76366a.jpg

Nice LOL
That looks like a big boy? 338 or 50?

Loud!!!!
My buddy claims he got a concussion after shooting his Barett 50bmg to many times over a weekend shooting course in Texas! After shooting his a couple times I believe it!

Loud!!!!
My buddy claims he got a concussion after shooting his Barett 50bmg to many times over a weekend shooting course in Texas! After shooting his a couple times I believe it!
VERY LOUD! I made a huge brake for it so recoil is not bad at all, but it sure blows stuff around. Even with good hearing protection the concussion of the shot kind of rings your bell. Shoot too much and it leaves you with a headache and a little nauseous... and light in the wallet.

like that grendel. I am anxious to see someone shoot that .458 HAM'R. I have not seen one yet. but it has my interest.

Last edited:
oh.. SUPER NICE TRICON SCOPE DUDE!! wow. impressive.

Shot a .50 cal once. That was enough for me lol....crazy gun

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk