Rifle performance - barrel length

Not that uncommon. Good safety measure. With some it leads toward a tendency to take multiple shots at a running deer and target fixation becomes a real problem. I'm not sure I'd want to see semi-autos for deer in our state.
No reason to try and justify a loss of freedom to me brother I don’t live there I have no dog in that fight.

No reason to try and justify a loss of freedom to me brother I don’t live there I have no dog in that fight.
The loss of freedom for one may be a greater freedom for another. :emoji_relaxed:

I don't believe PA allows semi auto rifles for deer hunting.
Correct. Been that way as long as I know here.

This rule was in effect probably since before ar's were created. No new loss of freedom. Even if it were legal, I wouldn't use one. They feel like schit in my hands and I own one.

Come on now fellas. You gotta consider this: An AR can do bolt action rifle things. But can a bolt action rifle do AR things? I was born long after the big print was on, so I gotta get multiple things done with a single tool to avoid costly redundancy like owning a flail mower, and 8 other implements for which the flail mower can also cover.

Foggy?

I would say that each type of firearm has things it does better than others and things it does worse. I don't think some kinds firearms are supersets of others. They are just different tools. I can use a wrench to pound nails, but I'd much rather have a hammer. I could probably use a hammer to loosen a bolt too.

Like most things we do, it is fitting the tool to the tasks you have at hand. There is not much I do that would benefit from owning an AR.

Having said that, I've accumulated a lot of firearms over the years because when I found a better tool for a particular job and could afford it, I'd buy it. For some reason, I just couldn't bring myself to part with the ones I had. It worked out in the end and I often lend them out to bring new hunters into the sport.

I'm sure there are many tasks where an AR outshines other firearms. They just aren't tasks in my wheelhouse.

Thanks,

Jack

Come on now fellas. You gotta consider this: An AR can do bolt action rifle things. But can a bolt action rifle do AR things? I was born long after the big print was on, so I gotta get multiple things done with a single tool to avoid costly redundancy like owning a flail mower, and 8 other implements for which the flail mower can also cover.

Foggy?
Guys need to use the most appropriate tools for their needs. I can't use an AR in pa for hunting, so I have next to no use for them. 'BUT', if I was down south where there were plenty of pigs, I'd be whackin' the hell out of them with an AR. That would be a blast!

I own two AR's. Both of them in 223. One is a very compact, lighweight affair I bought when Mills got out of the AR Biz. I paid $400 for the "Huldra Arms" unit. I keep that in MN for a SHTF event. I've owned an HBAR Colt since they were introduced in the 90's. Used it to develop some gun smith tools back in the day (bore guides, OAL Guage) and bipods. It's quite accurate and I have shot prairie dogs with it a few times. I keep it in OZ for a SHTF event. I always enjoy shooting those guns......I just dont see them as hunting guns for my purposes. As said above maybe if I was on a hog hunt?

I appreciate wanting to own one tool to do many tasks......but don't bring a pitching wedge to the Tee Box. Grin. It's all good.

EDIT: One good thing about owning guns is that the values seem to hold up in times like this. Buying an asset is never spending your money....your simply re-investing it another way.

Last edited:
This rule was in effect probably since before ar's were created. No new loss of freedom. Even if it were legal, I wouldn't use one. They feel like schit in my hands and I own one.
I didn’t intend my comment to mean the law was new I had simply never heard of such a law it is new to me. I believe Ohio has some unusual hunting regs regarding firearms also. AR’s are not my favorite deer hunting rifle but they do shine for some hunting situations. Hogs as mentioned, predator hunting and I personally like them for prairie dogs also. Last time my brother and I took our oldest boys prairie dog hunting I loaded up 3000 handloads and threw my 8 AR-15’s in the truck and we headed to western Kansas. We shoot on any one rifle until the barrel is hot to the touch and switch guns for a cool one when the shooting is really hot and heavy.

Last edited:

Foggy?

Attachments

• SD.jpg
    SD.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 15
I got all my parts and pieces ordered last night to get going on finishing the setup on the new gun. I did a little youtube watching last night and decided I could take this thing apart and do all this myself. I've been meaning to brush up on my disassembly skills all my life, and I'm finally getting after it. I'm putting on sling adapters, but as of now, I'm not planning to put a sling on. I just wanna have the option later on.

Thank goodness I already had the scope and bipod or this was gonna be a pantload more expensive. Just the extra parts and tools to put the accessories on are gonna run $140. I always thought they should give these guns for free if you agreed to buy the accessories from the dealer.

I got all my parts and pieces ordered last night to get going on finishing the setup on the new gun. I did a little youtube watching last night and decided I could take this thing apart and do all this myself. I've been meaning to brush up on my disassembly skills all my life, and I'm finally getting after it. I'm putting on sling adapters, but as of now, I'm not planning to put a sling on. I just wanna have the option later on.

Thank goodness I already had the scope and bipod or this was gonna be a pantload more expensive. Just the extra parts and tools to put the accessories on are gonna run $140. I always thought they should give these guns for free if you agreed to buy the accessories from the dealer.
Can you install that compensator yourself? does it just thread-on in place of a flash suppressor?

Can you install that compensator yourself? does it just thread-on in place of a flash suppressor?
Pretty sure the banish 30 he owns is typically a standard 5/8x24 thread pitch. If the flash hider isn't tacked on permanently its as simple as screwing off flash hider and screwing on the suppressor. May need to screw a thread adapter on if the factory thread is not 5/8x24.

Lots of suppressors offer options to attach via adapter rather than standard muzzle threads. One of my ARs wears a flash hider that doubles as a suppressor adapter mount. If there are good muzzle threads there is typically a simple solution to mount a suppressor.
tbac.jpg

Last edited:
What Gypsy said. I got the AR wrench coming to get those stock gizmos off. I tried bare handed and couldn't get it off. When I bought the suppressor, I also bought the adapter.

PA is pretty 2A friendly. No pistol permit needed, and you can legally own full auto guns......

The PA hunting rule I do not like is no hunting on sunday. Used to bring my flintlock over there in january.

PA is pretty 2A friendly. No pistol permit needed, and you can legally own full auto guns......

The PA hunting rule I do not like is no hunting on sunday. Used to bring my flintlock over there in january.
PA requires a carry permit, to carry concealed
as for being a machine gun class II device friendly state, that is a YES and NO at times
I sold class III and II weapons and devices,
you still need a local law enforcement to agree to you owning things ,
one example I can give for PA, that is about as DUMB as can be is this
I had one customer buy 5 different class II machine guns off me, local sheriff was FINE with him having them, BUT when he applied for the 6 th one, he was shot down/denied,
and the legal reason given ,
was he already had 5 and didn;t need a 6th one!
it ended up in court, he got the 6 th one, but cost him a LOT of extra $$ to do so, so, FRIENDLY on class III things, yes and NO!