Back to school

Sometimes things are to crazy to comment on. We need good teachers and good schools. Kids don’t learn shit at home.
Well here in minnesota good teachers and good schools are about as common as a four leaf clover. We should either improve both of those things or get rid of them---period.jmho

The CDC finally admitting kids should return to school this fall.

"Based on current data, the rate of infection among younger school children, and from students to teachers, has been low, especially if proper precautions are followed. There have also been few reports of children being the primary source of COVID-19 transmission among family members."

"The best available evidence indicates that COVID-19 poses relatively low risks to school-aged children. Children appear to be at lower risk for contracting COVID-19 compared to adults. To put this in perspective, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), as of July 17, 2020, the United States reported that children and adolescents under 18 years old account for under 7 percent of COVID-19 cases and less than 0.1 percent of COVID-19-related deaths."

"Extended school closure is harmful to children. It can lead to severe learning loss, and the need for in-person instruction is particularly important for students with heightened behavioral needs."

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/community/schools-childcare/reopening-schools.html

If schools don’t open, and we continue with distant learning, that would mean 1 parent needs to quit work and stay at home with the child. Daycares are not going to be able to have several kids doing distant learning under their care. Seems like another way to just keep the economy bogged down until after the election.

School is just a babysitter for many. Sad but true. I think teachers are in a bad situation here. They do what their bosses tell them. I doubt Natty will be moving to IL anytime ever, but I'd love for my kids to have him as a teacher.

We have to "live" with the virus, get the kids back to school. If masks are so great, then there are no issues.

We have to "live" with the virus, get the kids back to school. If masks are so great, then there are no issues.

4th quarter Timmy isn't gonna do that. He is gonna punt and give individual districts the chance to keep their students home. That is likely the very least that Indoctrination MN will accept. No way in hell that all districts in MN are open with full classes. And of course they are gonna have their hands out looking for a huge pile of money no matter what.

4th quarter Timmy isn't gonna do that. He is gonna punt and give individual districts the chance to keep their students home. That is likely the very least that Indoctrination MN will accept. No way in hell that all districts in MN are open with full classes. And of course they are gonna have their hands out looking for a huge pile of money no matter what.
The F' ing teachers union of this liberal state will sue the Gov. if he sends the kids back to school.

The F' ing teachers union of this liberal state will sue the Gov. if he sends the kids back to school.
My understanding is it doesn’t matter what any governor does. If the union says no there isn’t shit they can do about it. Looks like we will have the option to send our kids to school two days a week. This is best case scenario but parents can keep kids home all 5 days if they choose. If this is the case I think I will keep my kids home. There is no reduced risk in going two days vs five so why go through the circus. My kids are fine with home school but there are many that are not.

My understanding is it doesn’t matter what any governor does. If the union says no there isn’t shit they can do about it. Looks like we will have the option to send our kids to school two days a week. This is best case scenario but parents can keep kids home all 5 days if they choose. If this is the case I think I will keep my kids home. There is no reduced risk in going two days vs five so why go through the circus. My kids are fine with home school but there are many that are not.
Your kids may be fine and get good scores but the quality of education they will receive will not be what it would be if they were in school.

Your kids may be fine and get good scores but the quality of education they will receive will not be what it would be if they were in school.
And it certainly won't be worth paying the same amount of taxes to support education.

Definitely not. I think the option should be 5 days, you are in or you are out. Let the teachers that want to come back teach in school and the teachers that don’t want to teach online. None of these half measure ideas. If five days was an option mine would be going.

I suppose if there is some positive out of all this, some are showing their real motives more openly.
Here in NY King Andy changed the law about Chicken Wings not being considered food about the same time we had 3 Covid deaths and 536 new cases statewide (on Saturday)... we are NOT even in a pandemic anymore. Politicians just don't want to give up their unfettered power yet.
Most of the schools I have heard from want to open 100% and see it as safe given the statistics from other countries that already opened.

These ridiculous demands from Teachers Unions are insane and have nothing to do with Covid.
"Their demands include implementing a moratorium on private schools, defunding the police, increasing taxes on the wealthy, implementing Medicare for all, and passing the HEROES Act, which allocated and additional $116 billion in federal education funding to the states."

https://www.kusi.com/a-los-angeles-...ould-not-reopen-unless-their-demands-are-met/

I know of several bars where chicken wings are the main thing they serve. How could you possibly say they aren’t a food. The city of Utica wouldn’t have a place to eat without chicken wings. I need to move.

School is just a babysitter for many. Sad but true. I think teachers are in a bad situation here. They do what their bosses tell them. I doubt Natty will be moving to IL anytime ever, but I'd love for my kids to have him as a teacher.

Thanks Mortensen. Those are very kind words.

Parent surveys that were sent home a month ago are now being made public around here (Western Mass.) as schools scramble to figure just what they are going to do in 4 weeks. Parents who responded that they WOULD NOT send their kids to school, full time, 5 days a week, with full student body and staff is averaging about 50 to 60%. That's huge. I am starting to see a shift in most districts around here to the 100% online and/or a hybrid model.

It's going to suck...whatever we do. Going back full time with masks, no fun labs, no timber frame classes, no sports, no cafeteria, no gym...it will take all of the fun parts of education and leave students with just English, science, history and math. Virtual education from home is as boring and sterile as it gets. Yes, it's less work for me...but it sucks. And the kids really don't get as good an education from home.

PA is starting fall sports practices as we speak. Around here anyway. And as far as the chicken wing Regulations. How does one not see that as just plain political bullying. Telling bars and restaurants that chicken wings aren’t real food. Power, power, power. They won’t let it go.

I keep wondering why teachers who say education success is all about their direct interaction and involvement with children that ensures results based education, are not out protesting themselves?

Wouldn't the greatest role model & leadership lesson to our kids be ... teachers protesting to their local city governments & school boards demanding that schools re-open?

Oh well, around here we have ample evidence of teachers once again working less in schools, continuing to be paid, while working at the Amazon fulfillment distribution center.

Seems double dipping for state/municipal employees is a skill set that private sector get to pay for ...