Back to school

Will be interesting to see when these kids turn 18 and apply for jobs or college and only have High School equivalency of completing their sophomore and a bit of junior class work.

I say if the teachers dont go to work, dont pay them! I have to work every day, and dont have the option, like many other people, if I dont want to go to work, no big deal, the boss will just fire me and replace me with someone that will!

Well, I'm a teacher and I keep hearing this argument...as if teachers "don't want to go back to work." Online teaching the last 3 months in the spring was a joke..most teachers absolutely hated it. My students half-assed most of their work. Quite happy to return to work to be with my students and athletes and do what I am very good at.

Huge classes of 30 kids in small classrooms. That's probably a concern, no? Bussing the kids? A concern? Feeding a school population of 600 kids all within an hour or so...probably a concern, no? An inadequate ventilation system for the entire building of 600? I have a feeling there are many, many challenges and concerns about returning to school in the fall besides the "lazy ass teachers don't want to go back" narrative.

Hey, but if we don't go back, don't pay me. I am quite happy to forgo my paycheck and apply for unemployment like everybody else....I'll be quite fine either way.

Well, I'm a teacher and I keep hearing this argument...as if teachers "don't want to go back to work." Online teaching the last 3 months in the spring was a joke..most teachers absolutely hated it. My students half-assed most of their work. Quite happy to return to work to be with my students and athletes and do what I am very good at.

Huge classes of 30 kids in small classrooms. That's probably a concern, no? Bussing the kids? A concern? Feeding a school population of 600 kids all within an hour or so...probably a concern, no? An inadequate ventilation system for the entire building of 600? I have a feeling there are many, many challenges and concerns about returning to school in the fall besides the "lazy ass teachers don't want to go back" narrative.

Hey, but if we don't go back, don't pay me. I am quite happy to forgo my paycheck and apply for unemployment like everybody else....I'll be quite fine either way.

My wife is a high school teacher, and I know all about her wanting to go back, dealing with cheating students, at least until the governor said everyone would pass, then few tried anymore. But there are many other jobs out there that need to deal with people, and need to be open or they lose everything they ever worked for. But for some reason schools should be treated completely different. The age group that has seen the least amount of issues with this virus. This virus isn’t even close to being as bad as the flu, yet we have have the world in panic, and willing to forgo millions of people life savings.

To bad for you the rut is in November. If you’re off you could get some good hunting in. Unfortunately, I predict a mid November cure.

Although that might work, late October early November covers a good bit of the whitetail action. Probably to early for that snow you like to tromp around in though. :emoji_stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

If schools are going to make all people within the entire school system wear masks then they should be able to sit next to each other and eliminate the need for social distancing because the mask is keeping everyone safe correct? Will the next step be to wear a mask AND stay 6' apart? If you keep your distance then you should be safe without a mask correct?

To bad for you the rut is in November. If you’re off you could get some good hunting in. Unfortunately, I predict a mid November cure.

Although that might work, late October early November covers a good bit of the whitetail action. Probably to early for that snow you like to tromp around in though. :emoji_stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

8acaf5cc436a0c6c12e9dfcf41dfc797.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know you didn’t mean to but, your post makes it sound like your school system doesn’t even know how to handle square one! I drive by factories every day with 1000 cars in the lot. Light manufacturing parking lots full. Home Depot and every fast food restaurant out there. Plus Malls.and retail stores They all came up with a plan. A plan that allows them to stay in business and be as safe as possible. If They all did It why not a school? Maybe they need input from the rest of the world just how to come up with a workable plan. Now if the school systems think that they can come up with a plan that keeps the virus out totally , well that’s not possible. That’s been proved within nursing homes And others. They test everybody and have all these protocols but it still gets in. You can’t keep it totally out of anywhere so the plan has to allow for when cases are found. And how it should be handled. But make no mistake it will get in. If the NYC subway system can operate then I think the local school buses can operate So I hope they can work it out and the teachers work with the school because I fear there’s already been a lot of educational damage from how the year ended. These kids are going to be set back and it’s going to have repercussions for years. I’ve already heard the Buffalo teachers Union is going to sue if they even try to start school. That’s not going to work out for anybody. Anyway, Hope it works out for you. Good luck.

Funny Bill.

I know you didn’t mean to but, your post makes it sound like your school system doesn’t even know how to handle square one! I drive by factories every day with 1000 cars in the lot. Light manufacturing parking lots full. Home Depot and every fast food restaurant out there. Plus Malls.and retail stores They all came up with a plan. A plan that allows them to stay in business and be as safe as possible. If They all did It why not a school? Maybe they need input from the rest of the world just how to come up with a workable plan. Now if the school systems think that they can come up with a plan that keeps the virus out totally , well that’s not possible. That’s been proved within nursing homes And others. They test everybody and have all these protocols but it still gets in. You can’t keep it totally out of anywhere so the plan has to allow for when cases are found. And how it should be handled. But make no mistake it will get in. If the NYC subway system can operate then I think the local school buses can operate So I hope they can work it out and the teachers work with the school because I fear there’s already been a lot of educational damage from how the year ended. These kids are going to be set back and it’s going to have repercussions for years. I’ve already heard the Buffalo teachers Union is going to sue if they even try to start school. That’s not going to work out for anybody. Anyway, Hope it works out for you. Good luck.

Hey Buckly, I agree that this is hurting education. I have a 14 yo daughter and a 10 year old son. They missed their sports last spring and will probably miss sports this fall and winter...probably all sports for the entire year. Their online work last spring was inadequate. My daughter had about 15 minutes of work each day. They need to be in class. 100% agree. And, I see all the same things you do....Home Depot is packed. Restaurants open. Retail open. As far as schools learning from this about a workable plan? I also see cases are spiking in almost the entire country....71,000 cases just overnight. Not sure how workable that is.
I'm just a classroom teacher. I have no clue what the actual concerns are with schools that superintendents are having to work out. I was throwing out a list of concerns that I think they have to deal with. Feeding 600 kids (and that's a small school) seems to be a big one. If you can't even eat in a restaurant with table spaced less than 6' apart there is NO POSSIBLE WAY to feed our entire student body. I'm sure they are working that one though.

As I said...I'm quite happy to go back, as are most teachers. I get sick of the anti-teacher narrative I see sometimes here on the forum. Funny, nobody ever complains about the Saturday mornings I spend driving to the sawmill to grab a load of timber for my classes. Or the nights and Holidays I spend prepping a lab or correcting papers. But man, teachers work from home? People go nuts.

My wife is a high school teacher, and I know all about her wanting to go back, dealing with cheating students, at least until the governor said everyone would pass, then few tried anymore. But there are many other jobs out there that need to deal with people, and need to be open or they lose everything they ever worked for. But for some reason schools should be treated completely different. The age group that has seen the least amount of issues with this virus. This virus isn’t even close to being as bad as the flu, yet we have have the world in panic, and willing to forgo millions of people life savings.

If your wife is a teacher you MUST understand how quickly colds and flus spread through schools. Schools are unlike other businesses....immature kids who don't understand hygiene and washing hands. Schools are virus factories. With the Covid-19 virus now spiking in most of the country does it really make sense to send 50 million kids back to school? This Covid-19 thing already has Americans pitted against each other. So pathetic...in my opinion. When did we become a nation full of idealogues...unable to unite around a common challenge? Black vs. white. Red vs. blue. Now we are going to pit teachers vs. anybody else who has to work?

As I said...send me back to work. I'm 100% fine. Or don't pay me and I'll collect unemployment. 100% fine with that too. Either way, I'm collecting a check. Makes no difference.

I have to ask about your statement that Covid-19 "isn't even as close to being as bad as the flu?" The flu kills about 30,000 on average. This thing has killed 140,000 in just 6 months. It seems to be more contagious. And the crude mortality rate is about 3 times higher...about 0.1% for the flu, vs. about 0.3% for Covid-19. Just trying to understand what you mean by that? I guess I see it differently...and not because I'm a teacher who "doesn't want to go back to work." I'm pretty sure I'm cut from the same political cloth as most of you guys on the forum...so I am not taking the side of science because I'm a "damn hippy." Just trying to genuinely understand what you mean by that. Maybe I am missing something. Just like I am quite happy to go back to work...I am quite happy to be wrong and learn something new.

Last edited:
As I said...send me back to work. I'm 100% fine. Or don't pay me and I'll collect unemployment. 100% fine with that too. Either way, I'm collecting a check. Makes no difference.

I know you're just making your point, but as a tax payer who has to pay his health insurance out of pocket, his own retirement, and support what seems like everyone thru this manufactured emergency, that attitude pisses me off.

I have seen enough of you on here here that I am not directing it at your personally. I'm just frustrated that the producers in the world are continually commanded to keep producing in spite of all the takers taking more. Then being told their evil for doing it.

I am increasingly aware of just how little my morals, standards, and lifestyle line up with what is portrayed in the rest of the country and world. And, though i'm still not 35, i'm ready to check out and let everyone else burn.

Go back and look at the statistics from the swine flu and then report back. No shutdown, lockdown, schools closed etc.

Agree with others, the news around here said the schools would reevaluate in November (not even trying to hide the political piece of this).

My son in law is a teacher and a football coach, he has been extremely stressed over all of this. Not sure exactly if they will have a season or what type and how it will go, they are practicing for now. We talked the other day about it and it is just so iffy for now, it only takes one kid on the football team or apposing team to get everyone quarantined. It kind of goes the same with the kids at school if they go back. Very very strange times we are living in.

And how is this not crippling the big cities with inner city schools? Many of those poorer kids will be so far behind it will be extremely hard to ever catch up. Some don't have computers, if school sends one home to them it could be sold by an idiot parent or stolen so they just don't even have a chance to make it. It just perpetuates an already failing system with the underprivileged and continues a downward spiral of ignorance that is no fault of their own just bad luck.

Hey Buckly, I agree that this is hurting education. I have a 14 yo daughter and a 10 year old son. They missed their sports last spring and will probably miss sports this fall and winter...probably all sports for the entire year. Their online work last spring was inadequate. My daughter had about 15 minutes of work each day. They need to be in class. 100% agree. And, I see all the same things you do....Home Depot is packed. Restaurants open. Retail open. As far as schools learning from this about a workable plan? I also see cases are spiking in almost the entire country....71,000 cases just overnight. Not sure how workable that is.
I'm just a classroom teacher. I have no clue what the actual concerns are with schools that superintendents are having to work out. I was throwing out a list of concerns that I think they have to deal with. Feeding 600 kids (and that's a small school) seems to be a big one. If you can't even eat in a restaurant with table spaced less than 6' apart there is NO POSSIBLE WAY to feed our entire student body. I'm sure they are working that one though.

As I said...I'm quite happy to go back, as are most teachers. I get sick of the anti-teacher narrative I see sometimes here on the forum. Funny, nobody ever complains about the Saturday mornings I spend driving to the sawmill to grab a load of timber for my classes. Or the nights and Holidays I spend prepping a lab or correcting papers. But man, teachers work from home? People go nuts.

I don’t know if you‘ve been to any lumber stores lately but everything here is sold out. You can’t find a stick of lumber anywhere. I was in HD yesterday and every single shelf of lumber was empty. There’s a local Amish that has a factory and builds trusses and pole Barnes. He has millions of dollars worth of lumber stocked. People are coming from 200 miles away and cleaning him out of stock. I wouldn’t want to be tearing into any building projects right now.

I don’t know if you‘ve been to any lumber stores lately but everything here is sold out. You can’t find a stick of lumber anywhere. I was in HD yesterday and every single shelf of lumber was empty. There’s a local Amish that has a factory and builds trusses and pole Barnes. He has millions of dollars worth of lumber stocked. People are coming from 200 miles away and cleaning him out of stock. I wouldn’t want to be tearing into any building projects right now.

I'm in the middle of a blue collar building area, lumber isn't an issue here that I've heard of

We could have reached herd immunity a couple of months ago and be looking at all of this in the rear view mirror.
i actually saw quotes that said "if hillary had been elected, we'd be back to normal already..."

This is why I'm out...

If your wife is a teacher you MUST understand how quickly colds and flus spread through schools. Schools are unlike other businesses....immature kids who don't understand hygiene and washing hands. Schools are virus factories. With the Covid-19 virus now spiking in most of the country does it really make sense to send 50 million kids back to school? This Covid-19 thing already has Americans pitted against each other. So pathetic...in my opinion. When did we become a nation full of idealogues...unable to unite around a common challenge? Black vs. white. Red vs. blue. Now we are going to pit teachers vs. anybody else who has to work?

I have to ask about your statement that Covid-19 "isn't even as close to being as bad as the flu?" The flu kills about 30,000 on average. This thing has killed 140,000 in just 6 months. It seems to be more contagious. And the crude mortality rate is about 3 times higher...about 0.1% for the flu, vs. about 0.3% for Covid-19. Just trying to understand what you mean by that? I guess I see it differently...and not because I'm a teacher who "doesn't want to go back to work." I'm pretty sure I'm cut from the same political cloth as most of you guys on the forum...so I am not taking the side of science because I'm a "damn hippy." Just trying to genuinely understand what you mean by that. Maybe I am missing something. Just like I am quite happy to go back to work...I am quite happy to be wrong and learn something new.

Natty,

I hope you dont think we are attacking you as a person, I respect teachers, and anyone that hunts. I also like your storys of your hunt. I think most of us are just sick of this BS, we want life to be back to normal, and we are looking at things from the big picture. This thing isnt as bad as advertised, but it seems some people keep holding onto it, rather then down grading it to what it should be. I know teachers are around the little germ factories all day long, and they pass things non stop back and forth, but, that is how they build their immune systems.

Everyone knows the numbers have been skewed to make it worse then it was, the majority are the elderly that would have passed if they would have gotten the flu anyhow. I am not saying that is an excuse, but it is the reality. If this Covid-19 is so bad, why hasnt there been more people in the US that have died from all causes this year then the past 5, for the first 6 months of the year?

Kinda funny that most democratic cities, say schools cant open in the fall, but we will re evaluate in November. Seems funny the vaccine is going to be ready in December, seems funny when the NY governor says, there is no sense opening early, to help Trumps economy. Then says Trump just wants to open it early because of politics. Seems like life will be shut down until November 4th, after that we will realize it wasnt as bad as advertised.

Oh, I want to add, my governor is an idiot!