Are the glory days of deer hunting coming to a close?

You didn't mention how long those cards were out there. In the last two weeks, every buck on our cams has changed their pattern. Regardless, if inches are that important to you, I say keep moving west and north. 700 acres in Kentucky is probably worth at least 450 in MO. We have a neighbor that kills booners every year with a similar size property.

Seems like Native is in your state and clearly has deer that size or bigger, so I don't think it is just the soil. Maybe it is cover? Or maybe neighbors could all benefit from a pow wow to understand you're all looking for the same thing and willing to pass a few 125"s to get it?
If you look at our state, 90% of the record book bucks come from the Mississippi River Alluvial Delta. It is beyond a shadow of a doubt in this state the biggest deer are produced on the best soil. They grow beans, rice, corn, and cotton there. They grow pine trees, honey locust, persimmon, and cedar in my area. That said, some of the folks in areas like mine are making a difference feeding protein. I have seen it make a difference on my place.

What we have in my area is an abundance of cover, giving the deer a fighting chance to escape hunting pressure. Our g&f dept is fighting this, trying to make it easier and easier to kill the biggest deer. I fully expect in the near future for thermals to be legal😉

I never question soil fertility when I look at the pictures Native provides of his prairie. Also, I think that central area of the US has historically been easier on game. With changing climate patterns, than might not stay they same. We are used to 100 degree heat and two months without rain. It is a tough time for deer.

I think what you need to consistently produce big bucks - is two things - nutrition and age, or nutrition and genetics, or age and genetics. Bucks in my region average 115” according to g&f records. Yet, there are a fair number of 150” deer around because of age (cover). The more bucks you have of age, the more anomalies there will be.

Age is most important. I have proved in my area, with very mediocre average bucks, you can still scratch out a 150 every now and then - but we have quite a few make it to 5 yrs old.

Dawgs is not seeing his deer get age on them. Even with good nutrition and genetics, it is hard for a deer to make 150 at age three

@Howboutthemdawgs

I think when you settle in on your property and manage it for native habitat conducive to deer, you will be covered in huge deer.

@Native Hunter

Do you think deer in Kentucky are on the way down, or is it a great time for hunters if you manage your property long term for success?

1-2 weeks depending on the camera.
In theory my area is phenomenal. Our terrain and habitat is such that we could grow booners every year. My neighbor killed a 211 in 2013. Another a 195 a couple years ago. The region isn’t the problem. The people are. Between bait number one, crossbows, modern muzzleloader and 4 weekends of rifle they aren’t making it. I have high goals admittedly, only because I know what is possible here.
This guy has been regular every night. He is a direct product of allowing to put on age. I’ve had him for the last two years and somehow he’s escaped the gauntlet
View attachment 68153
You don't think that buck would break 125"?

3 properties. 700 acre. 9 card pulls. Zero bucks over 125”

just an anecdotal observation
Am I dreaming? I thought you’d recently posted some trail cam pics (in last 3 weeks) of some nice bucks.

That buck would be the biggest I’ve ever seen on my property! Apples and oranges Deep South to there I know but still.

lol yeah but he was technically on cell cam so not part of the card pull.

On a side note he just daylighted 5 minutes ago about 300 yards from where’s he’s been. Looks like he’s getting antsy.
IMG_5464.jpeg

Is it a verified trend that bucks are holding velvet longer than in years past?

Is it a verified trend that bucks are holding velvet longer than in years past?

I pulled cams yesterday and still have at least half the bucks still in velvet.

This is easily the glory days for me. I've had the opportunity to shoot the 6 biggest buck of my life in the last 6 years. I know it's changed some places but overall I don't think PA has ever been better. I remember when a 100" buck was a monster. There was a 185 killed in my county not that long ago. People shoot 140's in the area every year. A guy that works for me, lives near Pittsburgh and the suburb buck he sends me are unreal.

Am I dreaming? I thought you’d recently posted some trail cam pics (in last 3 weeks) of some nice bucks.
Yeah couple decent ones. But nothing crazy. maybe I’m naive but I would love to believe going into a season you’d have more than 2-3 mature deer on the properties I’m fortunate to hunt.
Let me clarify, I’m not complaining so much as making the observation that the quality (age) structure is not very impressive in my little bubble. I’m not alone I don’t think, I read a good bit and I’ve seen some guys i respect comment on the same in places like Illinois and Iowa.
I don’t necessarily want to relitigate the points in this thread on why. Just posting my 2024 preseason observations

Th
This is easily the glory days for me. I've had the opportunity to shoot the 6 biggest buck of my life in the last 6 years. I know it's changed some places but overall I don't think PA has ever been better. I remember when a 100" buck was a monster. There was a 185 killed in my county not that long ago. People shoot 140's in the area every year. A guy that works for me, lives near Pittsburgh and the suburb buck he sends me are unreal.
That’s awesome! It’s almost like some of the places that historically shot mainly yearlings are staring to pass on those and develop and age class and some of the top end places are going down due to pressure.

3 properties. 700 acre. 9 card pulls. Zero bucks over 125”

just an anecdotal observation

My camera sightings & activity is down also. Bucks may be starting to break up bachelor groups and dispersing.

That's the beauty of the rut. Never know who is going to show up chasing/looking for a hot doe. Keep the faith!

@Howboutthemdawgs

I think when you settle in on your property and manage it for native habitat conducive to deer, you will be covered in huge deer.

@Native Hunter

Do you think deer in Kentucky are on the way down, or is it a great time for hunters if you manage your property long term for success?
Great question Omicron. My deer hunting is gradually improving, but we still have some years that are not what I would like for them to be. As a general rule, I will have the oldest bucks in the area bedding on my place by early November. But, not all old bucks have great racks. That was the case last year - I had two older bucks, but they were both sub 140.

I did have that one Booner last year early on but he was a traveler when season came. People were getting his pictures over 2 miles from me. He came back for a while in late November, but a guy a mile away was still getting pics at the same time.

I think there are better big buck states than KY, and there are better areas in KY than mine. I believe my hunting is a little above average for the area because I have created a habitat oasis that is designed for fall draw, and I adjust my human intrusion accordingly.

Good luck to everyone.

I have also noticed if most of the properties in the area are smaller acres it is more unlikely to get older bucks just too many people to expect cooperation. So if everyone around your properties owns properties like 40aces, 50 acres 35 acres and so forth then very few older bucks. I think every land owner has a couple of relatives and maybe a friend that they invite to hunt but seems to me if they own 40 acres they invite 3 hunters but if they own 400 acres they still only invite 3 or 4 hunters. So by default the more larger land owners you have in an area then the more mature bucks that you have even all may claim to big buck hunting. Something I look for when shopping for land, if I can only afford 40 acres be best if my new neighbors own 600 acres on the west and 480 on the south side and so on and so forth. Around here most land is pretty broke up which means the best 2.5 dies and most 3.5 dies and it sounds like a war but I love it and it is better than it use to be, occasionally one slips through

Th

That’s awesome! It’s almost like some of the places that historically shot mainly yearlings are staring to pass on those and develop and age class and some of the top end places are going down due to pressure.
My dad passed up a legal buck last year! That's a historic moment in itself. LOL

It seems like stress is a big factor in addition to Age/Nutrition/genetics.

@BenAllgood has posted those pictures of monsters in non-hunting areas. I always get pictures from friends in the suburbs of absolute giants the likes of which I never expect to see anywhere I've hunted whitetails. No predators, limited competition, and monster bucks.

My best friend sent this (not his FB post), said this has been in his yard and he’s seen others of comparable size this year
D2189E67-67FC-41D5-ACD0-EC69447E7E21.jpeg

@BenAllgood has posted those pictures of monsters in non-hunting areas. I always get pictures from friends in the suburbs of absolute giants the likes of which I never expect to see anywhere I've hunted whitetails. No predators, limited competition, and monster bucks.
And age almost most importantly. A 190 isn’t a 190 at 2 and 3 and even 4

My best friend sent this (not his FB post), said this has been in his yard and he’s seen others of comparable size this year
View attachment 68157
I have way bigger bucks at my home here in suburbs than at my farm an hour away. It is stress for sure.

RE the suburban/sanctuary deer- be interesting to know how much is stress and how much is the lack of years of high grading by hunters.

Or how much having their heads stuck in a bird feeder every day!