Any Interesting Hunting Land Improvements Coming Up?

Tree planting and adding food plots. Tree planting seems to be a fixture of the spring. I've got to get trails in the woods as well as small watering holes in the 'woods' plots. Cabin remodel is underway and the demo is almost done, so hoping we can be outside playing come spring...adding one large food plot so we can watch deer from our deck. Make it fun for us to enjoy deer watching while grilling :)

Tree planting and adding food plots. Tree planting seems to be a fixture of the spring. I've got to get trails in the woods as well as small watering holes in the 'woods' plots. Cabin remodel is underway and the demo is almost done, so hoping we can be outside playing come spring...adding one large food plot so we can watch deer from our deck. Make it fun for us to enjoy deer watching while grilling :)

Right on!

-finish a corduroy bridge over a wet spot for access to the back 40
- finish up a new 1 1/2 acre woods food plot for planting
- hinge cut a known bedding area in the ash swale and plant 50 each of black spruce, white spruce, and balsam fir.
- plant my internal trails with clover/ chicory
- enhance some existing deer trails connecting bedding and food into deer "side walks"

-finish a corduroy bridge over a wet spot for access to the back 40
- finish up a new 1 1/2 acre woods food plot for planting
- hinge cut a known bedding area in the ash swale and plant 50 each of black spruce, white spruce, and balsam fir.
- plant my internal trails with clover/ chicory
- enhance some existing deer trails connecting bedding and food into deer "side walks"
What are you using for the corduroy bridge?

One interesting suggestion has been laying chain link fence down and letting the grass grow through it.

What kind of trees did you plant NH?

Jordan, I screened the road with white pines and planted the following:

Hardwoods in the center of the planting:
8 different varieties of oaks
Ash
Yellow Poplar
Hickory
more white pines

Fruit and mast trees on the eastern side of the planting:
Serviceberry
hazelnut
witch hazel
4 varieties of crabapples
persimmon
8 varieties of apples
Chinese chestnut
Dunstan Chestnut
5 varieties of pears
arrow wood viburnum
red osier dogwood
several other miscellaneous species

Here are some pics of where I worked on it last year in the late spring:

I have a big pile of landscape timbers and will cut some similar sized trees if needed. All I'm doing is laying them down and driving over them. They work into the ground and disperse the weight of the atv so I don't rut the trail up during the spring when wet. I like the chain link idea. Ground is mossey covered so it would work. Have some unused chain link lying around. Think I'll try it in a few spots and see how it works. Thanks.

Looks like some sweet fern in that last pic?

Stu, its definitely some kind of fern, but I don't know the exact species. There is another variety that's a little different which I see growing near the stream.

I have a big pile of landscape timbers and will cut some similar sized trees if needed. All I'm doing is laying them down and driving over them. They work into the ground and disperse the weight of the atv so I don't rut the trail up during the spring when wet. I like the chain link idea. Ground is mossey covered so it would work. Have some unused chain link lying around. Think I'll try it in a few spots and see how it works. Thanks.

I do the same thing PRK. I have several low areas where my trails go through that are always wet. I cut balsam and spruce into 7 foot lengths and lay them across these areas. Works great!

Nothing too interesting...planting some spruce, pine, and shrubs for screening and security cover around my main plot.

Will be helping a friend set his property up. We have some plots to start carving out and some bedding and travel corridors to install as well.

I was reading a post on the previous site a while ago that had a very interesting idea for building a crossing in a sticky situation. The idea basically was to buy an old low boy semi trailer and just place it there. Thought it would be cool.

A neighbor used a Mobile home frame and that worked pretty well.

Same old, same old for me. Planting 100 saskatoons in the orchard and replacing some dead pines, working 3 food plots, building a new rifle stand, mowing around the spruce I planted last year, and maybe some grafting if I have time.

Same old, same old for me. Planting 100 saskatoons in the orchard and replacing some dead pines, working 3 food plots, building a new rifle stand, mowing around the spruce I planted last year, and maybe some grafting if I have time.
Where are you getting your saskatoons? I have thought about planting Saskatoon but wasn't certain what variety.

Where are you getting your saskatoons? I have thought about planting Saskatoon but wasn't certain what variety.
I'm getting them from Saskatoon Michigan jerry. They're commercial varieties and a bit more expensive then the wild ones but I'm looking to sell these in the future once they mature. I'm not sure how they'll grow but thought they'd be interesting to try.

I'm getting them from Saskatoon Michigan jerry. They're commercial varieties and a bit more expensive then the wild ones but I'm looking to sell these in the future once they mature. I'm not sure how they'll grow but thought they'd be interesting to try.
Sell them as berries or as trees? Are they for health? I have thought about planting fruit for health but need to put together a list for my area.

They are a bush and I think they sell them in small 3-4" planters. They are for health and supposed to be high in antioxidants.

They are a bush and I think they sell them in small 3-4" planters. They are for health and supposed to be high in antioxidants.
As in Juneberries or Serviceberries? I've planted mine for a second time last spring. I've been having issues finding seedlings large enough for planting. The first go around I got leafed out seedlings that were only about 2-3" long.

On the whole project list for this year, the one I'm most excited in, is our plan to put in a spruce runway from the road all the way to our dense cover. We're trying to eliminate the need to cross open country to get from A to B for our deer. We're going to connect this runway to each plot on the way, so it won't be perfectly straight. To ensure we're staying on course, I'm planing to run a string the whole route and put 5 or 6 trees across this string to compose the runway.

As in Juneberries or Serviceberries? I've planted mine for a second time last spring. I've been having issues finding seedlings large enough for planting. The first go around I got leafed out seedlings that were only about 2-3" long.

Yep, same plant just that these are varieties bred for taste and production.

Yep, same plant just that these are varieties bred for taste and production.

Another name for them here is "Sarvis." That's what lots of old timers called them.

Just signed on with a forester to get my stewarship plan written so I can get my land enrolled in the SFIA program. I also have one more food plot to get in, hinge cutting to do, and my ongoing driveway improvement project.

Just signed on with a forester to get my stewarship plan written so I can get my land enrolled in the SFIA program. I also have one more food plot to get in, hinge cutting to do, and my ongoing driveway improvement project.
The plan made a difference in my taxes.