All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Any Interesting Hunting Land Improvements Coming Up?

M

MoBuckChaser

Wondering what is going through everyone's mind for any hunting land Improvements coming up this late winter early spring?

We are going to be building a wooded bridge over a washout that is terrible to cross with the tractor and implements. Built a small one in this spot last year and it got dislodged and washed down stream During heavy rains. Hope to build it longer and higher so that don't happen again.

We also have some nice Gunstock Walnut type trees to cut down and haul in if I can find the right buyer. That should be a fun project if I get time to get it done!

Mo- I think we will do a crossing as well on my Iowa farm.

What's your plan? Any pics?

Thanks

I am going to create 2 small one acre food plots, release about 20 apples, and thin out a 3 acre stand of spruce and replant it with about 25 hybrid oaks and chestnuts and about 40 various seedlings from the MDC. I am also going prune about 50 or so wild apples that I release 2 years ago.

I have a couple culverts I'd like to get in so I can get to the back of the property earlier, natural drainage. To work on improving cover by planting fewer but bigger spruce and cedar trees. Release some more wild apple trees.

Last edited:
Mo- I think we will do a crossing as well on my Iowa farm.

What's your plan? Any pics?

Thanks

My plan is to drop 3 pretty straight 12-14" oak trees if I can find them. Cut to 25' in length, and place them 5' apart for a 10' wide bridge that will be 25' long. Then nail some type of bridge planking on them cross ways and hope they stay put. I will take pictures of course if and when I get started.

Release some spruce in the tag alders, move a stand to a new spot and work on access, work on a deer crossing across a swamp, maybe a small bedding project in the red cedar woods.

Now that I have a tractor the food plot is going to get manicured. I need to fill the holes where stumps were pulled/dug out. Get it leveled for better drainage. Do more trail work and build a couple of man bridges to cross the creeks. I built one last fall and put in a hurricane anchor and tied it to that so come spring I wouldn't loose it.

No projects of my own, but that's ok. I am helping finish up the remainder of the road screen I started with a coworker last spring, and also helping another buddy find and release(he found 2 more during this past hunting season) some more apple trees on his uncles place.

Gonna take my Silky Zumbat into the alders and 'hinge' at heights to steer traveling bucks whereI can see them during the rut. Gonna be a lot of thumb sized shrubs cut staggered and haggard to see if I can get them to walk where I want them.

Nothing interesting for sure. I have already started some hinging and removing some junk trees to allow more light in so some oaks get released as well as thickening up the understory. Need to do some screening or some conifer planting, but it's all based on budget. The idea of a vertical foodplot has caught my attention so I may give that a shot with some common garden variety climbing bean just for an interesting project with my girls.

I was reading a post on the previous site a while ago that had a very interesting idea for building a crossing in a sticky situation. The idea basically was to buy an old low boy semi trailer and just place it there. Thought it would be cool.

I was reading a post on the previous site a while ago that had a very interesting idea for building a crossing in a sticky situation. The idea basically was to buy an old low boy semi trailer and just place it there. Thought it would be cool.

That is a good Idea if a guy can buy them old flatbeds with the deck still good.

Last edited by a moderator:
Having a .5 acre pond built. Dam will be right where this water hole is in below pic . While the dozer is there I will be expanding the left side of this field. You cant see it but their is an old home place and several out buildings a ways back in the cedar thicket. That will be dozed as well. I got mixed emotions about that but its falling over and will just be a place for my boys to step on a nail! I will get the tin off the roofs for tower stands. I plan to plant a row of various pears behind the row of chestnuts the entire length of this field. I will plant them in the gaps about 11 steps toward the wood line. I am having some ground logged on my back line to assist in funding this project.
image (2).jpeg

You have lots going on Jordan! All sounds fun to me!

I'll be building some good permanent stands this year. I usually work my butt off planting plots and run out of time to get this done. I want to make them big enough for my Dad to sit comfortably. I'm hoping to get him his first bow deer this year. Otherwise spruce trees, miscanthus, hinging, and man made funnels.

You have lots going on Jordan! All sounds fun to me!
Im excited about this project. Starting to make the place my own. Its come a long ways from a feral field with 10ft tall weeds. Wish I had my own high lift! Maybe some day!

Gonna take my Silky Zumbat into the alders and 'hinge' at heights to steer traveling bucks whereI can see them during the rut. Gonna be a lot of thumb sized shrubs cut staggered and haggard to see if I can get them to walk where I want them.
I'm hoping someone got me a silky Zumbat for a birthday present. We haven't celebrated it and it was on Christmas Day. :mad:

I'm hoping someone got me a silky Zumbat for a birthday present. We haven't celebrated it and it was on Christmas Day. :mad:

A bought the Sugowaza for a present........that I had bought for myself!:D

I will be going through a 10 year old tree planting and whacking back unwanted volunteer trees (mostly sweet gum) that have come up and are competing with the ones I planted. I started this last year and will finish it this spring. The trees are getting so big I can no longer mow the rows with a tractor and bushhog, so its high on my priority list to get this done while I can still get through. Trees were planted in rows, 13 feet wide.

I will be going through a 10 year old tree planting and whacking back unwanted volunteer trees (mostly sweet gum) that have come up and are competing with the ones I planted. I started this last year and will finish it this spring. The trees are getting so big I can no longer mow the rows with a tractor and bushhog, so its high on my priority list to get this done while I can still get through. Trees were planted in rows, 13 feet wide.
What kind of trees did you plant NH?

Last edited: