All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Any Interesting Hunting Land Improvements Coming Up?

Yep, same plant just that these are varieties bred for taste and production.
Shad bush on the east cost....blossoms are usually concurrent with shad running up the rivers.

The plan made a difference in my taxes.
Hoping this will give me a little more cash to put into my other projects.

Hoping this will give me a little more cash to put into my other projects.

What kind of tax break do you receive?

What kind of tax break do you receive?
After the plan was done and submitted to the county, I had the choice of two different programs to go into. I can't remember the specifics, but the assessors office said some parcels were better for one program or the other. I kept it simple and stuck with one program.

I am always skeptical of these government plans and changes in funding, regulations, etc.

After the plan was done and submitted to the county, I had the choice of two different programs to go into. I can't remember the specifics, but the assessors office said some parcels were better for one program or the other. I kept it simple and stuck with one program.

I am always skeptical of these government plans and changes in funding, regulations, etc.

How long is the tax break for and is it transferable to another party if the land is sold like most programs?

I believe both SFIA and a 2C plan can transfer to another party. I have in my head that its not an option for SFIA...it has to happen (could be wrong) or there's a penalty of sorts. With a 2C plan, there are fewer restrictions (actually none that I can think of). 2c reduces your taxes, while SFIA gives you a credit (payment). I think SFIA provides a higher benefit, but I wasn't a fan of the restrictions (penalties/restrictions on future land divisions mainly).

Same for me!

I am in Green Acres and that I know transfers. Still, unfortunately our property taxes are still to high. That is one thing putting a damper on the sale of our home farm here. The young couple was stunned at Property Taxes at over $400 a month added on to there loan. And then the Farm and Ranch insurance is another $300 a month. $700 a month is over and above the farm payment. Isch!:eek:

Yup, I think it is required to transfer and if the new owners don't follow it they end up being the ones that pay back taxes and penalties. You are pretty much required to be in it 12 years I think. 8 year minimum and 4 years to withdraw.
http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/foreststewardship/index.html
http://www.revenue.state.mn.us/propertytax/factsheets/factsheet_09.pdf

It looks like for SFIA the payment is $7 per acre for everyone?

I think the 2c program reduces your taxes by about 35% instead of paying the landowner.

Yup, I think it is required to transfer and if the new owners don't follow it they end up being the ones that pay back taxes and penalties. You are pretty much required to be in it 12 years I think. 8 year minimum and 4 years to withdraw.
http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/foreststewardship/index.html
http://www.revenue.state.mn.us/propertytax/factsheets/factsheet_09.pdf

It looks like for SFIA the payment is $7 per acre for everyone?

I think the 2c program reduces your taxes by about 35% instead of paying the landowner.

35% would be huge!

$400 a month for a home, outbuildings (I assume a good number?) and how many acres? $4800 annually is nothing to sneeze at...but I paid more than that on my old place and 11 acres in Dane County, WI.

Lots of Bldgs for this farm and business. Big detriment.

home.PNG

And then the Farm and Ranch insurance is another $300 a month. !:eek:

Does every farm carry this? I ask as we are 1/4 owner in the family farm and I don't know if there is 'farm insurance' on it . we added a liability policy to our homeowners...

Big detriment or big asset...all depends on the buyers. Taxes don't seem outrageous to me, but then I'm from WI :eek:

With all the farms purchased in Missouri having taxes at either side of $2............MN is high and Scony is really high!

Does every farm carry this? I ask as we are 1/4 owner in the family farm and I don't know if there is 'farm insurance' on it . we added a liability policy to our homeowners...

1/4 mil in equipment, $200,000 in stored grain, and a $2 million dollar Liability policy for someone that may sue........ It is all part of my policy, as well as the bldgs.

I carry it!

Mo- I think we will do a crossing as well on my Iowa farm.

What's your plan? Any pics?

Thanks

I just found a buddy with 3 good 30' phone poles I may use now. Now I am looking for 10' used bridge planks.

That is the route that I am going to take, used telephone poles.

Same for me!

I am in Green Acres and that I know transfers. Still, unfortunately our property taxes are still to high. That is one thing putting a damper on the sale of our home farm here. The young couple was stunned at Property Taxes at over $400 a month added on to there loan. And then the Farm and Ranch insurance is another $300 a month. $700 a month is over and above the farm payment. Isch!:eek:

sheesh thats allot to uncle sam John! This gonna be a deal breaker on the sale of your place? I Hope not

I have a busy year
1. Just had my pond doubled in size before gun season. Have to have all the dirt spread come spring and plant grass around. Aerator is in already and I will have hybrid gills and bass stocked either late spring or in the fall.
2. Build a new 8x5 tower stand over one of my plots. The stand will also be our kids playhouse when we are up. I'll document the build once I start. Should start in the next couple of weeks. It will be nice for the kids sake.
3. Plant 20 crabapple trees. 8 in each of my two main plots then 4 up by the cabin.
4. Plant 30 3 ft Norway spruce.
5. Plant around 3 acres of plots
6. Hinge cutting when I can, going to do some this weekend when I am up.

It's nice to see a few different guys with fish ponds on their place. I hope someone gets a fish pond thread going here even though it's not related to deer. I'm going to be stocking this spring also. Habitat projects have kept me busy over the years but I can't wait to start fishing on my pond with my kid.

It's nice to see a few different guys with fish ponds on their place. I hope someone gets a fish pond thread going here even though it's not related to deer. I'm going to be stocking this spring also. Habitat projects have kept me busy over the years but I can't wait to start fishing on my pond with my kid.

Here's a few pics of the pond. Lots of dirt to spread into the field come spring. Pond is 8-12 feet deep. Should hold a bunch of fish!image.jpg
image.jpg image.jpg

Since I'll have a loader available, I'll be doing a lot of projects up north. Widening trails, adding culverts to a couple areas, probably moving some dirt, cutting and stacking trees. I'm gonna be busy this year!

What have you had to do to get a pond started? Permits, regulations, etc.