All Things Cider

Picked up a few EZ Top bottles on Craigslist today. Hope to bottle my first batch in about eight weeks.

image.jpeg

Last edited:
Picked up a new bench capper tonight - getting closer to bottling my first batch...

image.jpeg

Wow that's a beauty. I just use one of those hand cappers that are very inexpensive and plastic. Good luck bottling that first batch!!!!!

Wow that's a beauty. I just use one of those hand cappers that are very inexpensive and plastic. Good luck bottling that first batch!!!!!
Thanks Aero - it should last a lifetime. It weighs about 30 pounds.

Wow that's heavy. You will be capping bottles for 50 years with that thing. Good luck

Here's a photo of a batch using Nottingham Ale yeast that I racked tonight after storing in the refrigerator for about 12 hours to help drop the yeast. This was in primary for about 30 days. It's not as clear as other yeasts I have tried - I'll post a follow-up photo of this one in around three months.

image.jpeg

I think the party should be at your place wooohooo!!!! I use a little something to help clear it but can't remember the name right now

Next time your at your hunting place, I'll will have to swing around and get a taste. :D

Next time your at your hunting place, I'll will have to swing around and get a taste. :D
I may drive from PA just to taste all of his different cider recipes o_O

I may drive from PA just to taste all of his different cider recipes o_O

The end of April would a great time for a tasting party. I could break out the cider as soon as "WE" get the new apple trees planted :D;)!!

Aaaaaahhhhhh ..... Cider with strings attached !!! :eek::D

This is a question about sweet cider, but what stage or category is it when sweet cider starts to produce tiny bubbles ?? I remember my Dad getting jugs of sweet cider that he'd store on our back porch in late fall, and it would start to make bubbles and it got a lip-smacking tang to it. That was the best tasting cider I can remember drinking. He'd only let me have a few sips - I know why now. It was fermenting. When I read about the stages you guys identify when making hard cider, I just wondered what " stage " it is when tiny bubbles just begin to appear in the jug ?? Maybe it has no official name ?? Whatever it is ....... it tastes great !!! :)

Last edited:
Well I can't resist adding my two cents here.
First, thanks to aero for getting me started with some apples and info on making cider. This was my first year making cider and it was so enjoyable. After a few months of impatiently waiting and fermenting, I've finally finished fermenting my first batches of hard cider.
I was going to bottle my cider but instead I splurged and bought a kegerator to keg it instead. I did bottle some from the keg but I'm mainly enjoying drinking it from the tap.
Dream big and drink more cider. That's my new motto.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 9
Aaaaaahhhhhh ..... Cider with strings attached !!! :eek::D

This is a question about sweet cider, but what stage or category is it when sweet cider starts to produce tiny bubbles ?? I remember my Dad getting jugs of sweet cider that he'd store on our back porch in late fall, and it would start to make bubbles and it got a lip-smacking tang to it. That was the best tasting cider I can remember drinking. He'd only let me have a few sips - I know why now. It was fermenting. When I read about the stages you guys identify when making hard cider, I just wondered what " stage " it is when tiny bubbles just begin to appear in the jug ?? Maybe it has no official name ?? Whatever it is ....... it tastes great !!! :)
That's caused by natural fermentation which is from the wild yeast that is contained in apple cider that does not get pasteurized it's really the same as if yeast is added however a lot more yeast is pitched when force fermentation is done. If you let it go it would continue to ferment and turn into vinegar if it is not airlocked and continues to get oxygen. When the hard cider is made and fully fermented the sugar level is near zero and it is all turned into alcohol. At this point it has no sweetness. You would think it was bad so you can leave it u sweetened or back sweeten to your taste and preference

Well I can't resist adding my two cents here.
First, thanks to aero for getting me started with some apples and info on making cider. This was my first year making cider and it was so enjoyable. After a few months of impatiently waiting and fermenting, I've finally finished fermenting my first batches of hard cider.
I was going to bottle my cider but instead I splurged and bought a kegerator to keg it instead. I did bottle some from the keg but I'm mainly enjoying drinking it from the tap.
Dream big and drink more cider. That's my new motto.
Well How did the cider turn out? Did you back sweeten or add any spices or flavoring? Glad the one I gave you was not terrible and inspired you to make more lol. Happy cider drinking. You will need to come and try my new batch.

the cider came out GREAT IMO. i did not back-sweeten. i left it as-is and i loved it that way. a little dry, but still great. once i kegged it and carbonated it it got even better. i did not add any other spices or do anything else other than cider and yeast this year; next year i plan to experiment a little bit more, i want to make some "iced cider" with higher alcohol and sweetness.

my favorite thing about making hard cider is that it took VERY LITTLE SKILL and VERY LITTLE EQUIPMENT. i have a few friends who ferment beer and i was intimidated by the amount of equipment and knowledge needed. making cider is SO much more simplified. juice, yeast, a glass carboy and an airlock, and some time. if i can do it ANYONE can do it.

the cider came out GREAT IMO. i did not back-sweeten. i left it as-is and i loved it that way. a little dry, but still great. once i kegged it and carbonated it it got even better. i did not add any other spices or do anything else other than cider and yeast this year; next year i plan to experiment a little bit more, i want to make some "iced cider" with higher alcohol and sweetness.

my favorite thing about making hard cider is that it took VERY LITTLE SKILL and VERY LITTLE EQUIPMENT. i have a few friends who ferment beer and i was intimidated by the amount of equipment and knowledge needed. making cider is SO much more simplified. juice, yeast, a glass carboy and an airlock, and some time. if i can do it ANYONE can do it.

Sounds great. Yes almost anyone can make hard cider. The most important ingredient is patience once you get the juice LOL

Thanks Aero. I didn't know it was oxygen that caused the cider to turn to vinegar. With airlock it would become HARD cider ??

Thanks Aero. I didn't know it was oxygen that caused the cider to turn to vinegar. With airlock it would become HARD cider ??
The airlock keeps oxygen and other bacteria out so the yeast can tur the sugar into alcohol so yes the introduction of air will cause it to go to vinegar

The end of April would a great time for a tasting party. I could break out the cider as soon as "WE" get the new apple trees planted :D;)!!
:cool: Send me the "meeting invite".