All Things Cider

Re: hose, I used about 20' which is about what I needed to run from the bottom of the tote (carried in a Polaris, though not with the tote full) up to my left hand while I sit in the driver's seat. That way I can drive to a tree, stop, point the hose at the base of the tree, turn the pump on by clicking the switch on the cigarette lighter with my right hand, and voila, water!

re: link to the pump, let's try this one: http://www.westmarine.com/buy/rule-...rsible-electric-bilge-pumps--P011_330_001_535

Thanks LOL - Nice idea & thanks for the link! Are you using a garden type hose or smaller dia.?
Thanks!

Thanks LOL - Nice idea & thanks for the link! Are you using a garden type hose or smaller dia.?
Thanks!
I sized the hose based on the size of the output on the pump I chose. I think it was 3/4" and since I was at West Marine I just bought this, which was probably more expensive than I needed: http://www.westmarine.com/buy/shiel...reinforced-clear-pvc-tubing--P011_333_001_014

To get back to hard cider lol I bottled my batch of pure Honeycrisp hard cider and back sweetened it a bit and used corn sugar to carbonate. I got it very clear and hope there is enough yeast left to make some bubbles or will be drinking some pretty tasty still hard cider!!IMG_0723.jpg

Aero - that cider looks too good to be sitting there all alone !! Nice job ........ clear as a bell. Did you do the pure HC just to see what it turned out like, or did you have a prior exposure to HC cider ??

Looks good aero!

Just did it to try. It's so smooth. Am happy I got it so clear I have about 9 more gallons to bottle when I get back from vacation in Carribean ahhhhhhhhh

Good for you Aero! Where are you? Just took a trip w/ my son down to the Keys for some diving!

On my way to St Kitts. Still not too spoiled yet. We love it

Thanks it's only 82 here though ;)

Thanks 2nd hand. I will do about 7 gallons next week when I get home

Thanks 2nd hand. I will do about 7 gallons next week when I get home

I hope you are too sunburned ;);):mad::confused::cool:

Just kidding!

-John

Here's an update photo of the cider I am experimenting with. I am trying different yeasts and added sugars. The two gallon jugs on the floor were started yesterday.

image.jpeg

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    109 KB · Views: 2
Wow John looking good. What are some of your combinations or mixtures? No sunburn for me. I hide from the sun and keep hydrated with alcohol lol

Aero, Here's the different yeasts I am trying this year: Lalvin EC-1118, 71B, and K1-V1116, Red Star - Pasteur Red, and Cotes de Blancs and Danstar Nottingham. For sugars I have used different combinations and quantities of corn sugar, brown sugar and turbinado sugar. I will probably try bottling my first batch (started on 11/8/15) in March, with the rest to follow into May. Thanks! :cool:

Was watching the tube last night and they had a short segment on WI PBS about a hard cider producer up in Door County. Their orchard is actually on Washington Island so called Island Orchard Cider. They tend to make stuff in the style of northern France with cultivars from there or England. So looked interesting and googled them up after the program was done and an article mentioned on how the owners have been trying all sorts of apples varieties and one they liked a lot was called St Edmund's Russet. Would guess that being surrounded by Lake Michigan like that they are probably like zone 5a maybe. Just though I'd pass along.....

Yep the foodie show. Missed some of it but caught that they have a couple thousand trees planted and take all the apples off the island by the ferry to be processed near Ellison Bay. Based on the article I found later, they have a couple hundred of the St Edmund's Russet so maybe 10% of what they have.

Not to veer off the subject too much, but after watching some tail-gating videos of U. Wisc. and Green Bay Packers games ............ isn't EVERYONE in Wisc. a foodie ??? I think you guys could find a way to make firewood tasty !!! Soak in beer & cover with cheese ?? !! :) :D