What are you planting? ... Spring 2022

I dont have a big open field to plant them in, so I am just plopping them randomly in lines, or pockets throughout my property, which I think is the sucky part. I walk by a spot and think, I can put 4 right there, then I get there, and it is all rock, or roots. So on to the next spot.

I just finished planting the last of them, now I just need need to go back and put mulch on the ones I put weed mats on, which will be wet rotten straw. I am not sure if it is bad to just have the weed mats exposed to the sun, if that will heat them up too much? But some of these I planted a couple weeks ago, and matted, and caged, but never put more then an arm full of dead wood that was laying around the area on each. I see some of the trees I first planted are growing, and some of the cuttings I planted have green buds on them. So at least I didnt completely fail yet.

I have planted over 1000 white pine plugs in the past, not a single one made it through to the next spring. Bud caps were just laying next to where they were planted.

Most of my plantings have been in an 12 acre creek bottom pasture that I’m no longer going to use for pasture ground so easy easy on layout. I have another 10 acre strip between two row crop fields that I’ve been planting some stuff in also. It has a pond and seasonal creek cutting through it so it’s not nearly as easy to layout. Nice thing about that planting is I can see it from my shooting bench’s for the 1000yd rifle range. It will be around 500-550 yds to cover the entire planting should make for some interesting hunts in the years to come for my boys and I.

The place I ordered most of my trees and bushes from this year sent me an email for 30% off the rest of their inventory. They have decent prices to begin with, but to take 30% off was tempting, but I resisted. When I looked yesterday they still had a quite a few options still in stock. If anyone is interested in more things to plant, check them out.

The place I ordered most of my trees and bushes from this year sent me an email for 30% off the rest of their inventory. They have decent prices to begin with, but to take 30% off was tempting, but I resisted. When I looked yesterday they still had a quite a few options still in stock. If anyone is interested in more things to plant, check them out.

Why did you have to go and post that link? I have enough to do but I don't think I can pass on those prices. How do I tell my wife the bathroom remodel will have to wait a bit more? :emoji_astonished:

Why did you have to go and post that link? I have enough to do but I don't think I can pass on those prices. How do I tell my wife the bathroom remodel will have to wait a bit more? :emoji_astonished:
Dont tell her. When the new order shows up, just say, damn, its about time, you thought they lost your order.

Better to beg forgiveness than ask for permission ...
embarrassed-smile-smiley-emoticon.gif

Those are great prices, especially after the 30% off discount. I wonder what kind of shape the plants will be in when they arrive if they're already budding leaves.

Anyways, I ordered 50 arrowwood vibernums and 50 nine bark shrubs since I don't have either at my place. Great deal, even with paying for shipping! Thanks!

The ones I got 2 weeks ago didnt have any growth on them at all. I planted all the ones I ordered, and most have some growth now, and they were all decent size.

I planted 18 red splendor crabs this spring from the local NRCS. I put them all in 5 foot tubes. I think 2 or 3 died. The rest are pretty much out of the tube already. Primary goal for them is grouse food. Hopefully the bears dont destroy them. Probably gonna get some 5-6 foot cages installed on them in the next year. They have received 4+" of rain since I took these pictures last weekend.

IMG_8780.JPGIMG_1053.JPGIMG_1058.JPG

Wow. None of my grafted crabs have come close to that type of growth this year.

38” of growth on this BH Danville Kieffer Pear is insane growth for my place, especially for the first year in the ground. 6 pears and 5 Persimmons plus some direct seeded acorns and all survived so far, most are doing extremely well.

My MG survived winter, pretty stoked about that. Planted my first food plot with Buckwheat and Sun Hemp followed by a fall planting 2 weeks ago of Brassicas, Chicory, PTT and underseeded with clover for spring green up. I’ll sprinkle in some WR and fill in the bare spots if I have any.
48D3D81E-4AE1-4DFA-A08F-0EE283872BAA.jpeg

My first nuts on Allegheny Chinquapins, this is their 5th summer in the ground. Still small in size but seeing nuts gets me a lil hard 😜
4E73F99B-4217-4704-8929-2C8A17F9E5A5.jpeg