What are you planting? ... Spring 2022

I got them from Midwest Habitat Management in Minnesota. Scotch Pine & Black Hills Spruce!

Red Oak, Plum, crabapple

(5 row windbreak)

Planted 36 Fraser Fir, the last 14 will wait til next weekend. These are intended for sale as Xmas trees in a few years.

You can see the color of the sand I dug up. I mixed it with my composted horse manure when filling the hole back in. Then use that compost as mulch on top. Lots of worms in it.
PXL_20220424_183023690.MP.jpg

You midwest foks have some nice sources for plants. Just what I order, or bareroots from SWCD spring sales. Glad to have them though. Taking a break, allergies beat me up this time of year. Just done planting everything. Now to weedmat and cage. Got 7 apple trees in regular pots, need to repot them once the airpots come in.

I did something yesterday that most of you will never get the chance to do...... I planted some of my trees in the snow. Snow is still 1-2 feet deep in some places in my woods. However, the ground is completely thawed. I even "watered" the trees by throwing snow onto the weed mat. I figured it could slowly melt and feed the tree.

14 red pine (1 gallon pots)-caged
18 red splendor crab apple bareroots-tubed
25 balsam fir transplants
2 white spruce transplants

I was up north for work (roofing the neighbors house).... I figured there was no way the ground was thawed so I only brought half my trees with. Had limited room anyways. Could have planted everything if I had it with.....

IMG_8767.JPGIMG_8768.JPGIMG_8769.JPGIMG_8780.JPGJCYY9581.JPG

Last couple of weekends have planted 60 apple trees, 100 Blue spruce, 100 Norway's, and 100 black spruce. This weekend we have another 25 apple trees, 200 Norway, 100 black spruce, and some willow & ninebark to plant.

IMG_20220429_160146.jpg

Tried buying some apple trees for first time from our local Masters Gardening club. Bought 4 Dabinett apple & 2 Hyslop crabs. The Hyslop are great pollinators. The Dabinett were on M111 rootstock and looked to be healthy 3/4" caliper trees with some nice 1st level scaffolds started. They are great hard cider apples and are supposed to hold their apples into Nov/Dec.

IMG_20220429_160221.jpg

My trees from Cummins had an impressive Virginia Hewes apple tree. Was probably almost 1" caliper near the top.

IMG_20220429_160302.jpg

I did something yesterday that most of you will never get the chance to do...... I planted some of my trees in the snow. Snow is still 1-2 feet deep in some places in my woods. However, the ground is completely thawed. I even "watered" the trees by throwing snow onto the weed mat. I figured it could slowly melt and feed the tree.

14 red pine (1 gallon pots)-caged
18 red splendor crab apple bareroots-tubed
25 balsam fir transplants
2 white spruce transplants

I was up north for work (roofing the neighbors house).... I figured there was no way the ground was thawed so I only brought half my trees with. Had limited room anyways. Could have planted everything if I had it with.....

View attachment 42652View attachment 42653View attachment 42654View attachment 42655View attachment 42656
Check the wolverine tree spade^^^^^^

My dibble bar has been "retired"

bill

I didn’t take any pictures, but I have a Wolverine tree spade, and it works great for bare root, but for digging holes for potted trees I use a lighter spade for digging holes.

The wolverine works just like a wide dibble bar.

I got them from Midwest Habitat Management in Minnesota. Scotch Pine & Black Hills Spruce!

Red Oak, Plum, crabapple

(5 row windbreak)
Jason is a good dude. I bought some switchgrass, CRP, and pollinators from him this year. He's very helpful and generous with his time for asking questions.

I received my 75 Norways on Thursday from the PA Game Commission. Of course, with no notice, and on the weekend of the first day of turkey season and my daughters birthday party. Got to say I was pretty disappointed in them. Some were more or less 3-5" plugs. They were already starting to brown. I took them out and put them in a bucket with some water. Only got about half planted over the weekend. Not sure how you guys plant so much. I put the rest in a slurry of topsoil mix and water and put them in the shade. I hope they'll be ok until next weekend.

I didn’t get all of mine planted this weekend either. This week and weekend will be overly busy for me, and I have to get trees planted as well.

One of these days I will have some free time to kick back and relax, but that won’t be this year.

I dont know how you guys do it. I have planted about 300 trees, and about 250 various cuttings. I am wiped out. I have been doing them by myself since the middle to end of April, I am down to about 10 trees left. Between my every day chores and my job, and family, I feel like I havent had a rest in a month. Not sure how you guys can do, 300+ and not be wiped out. Unless you have a digger, or a bunch of help.

Just making cages was a weekend chore, cutting weed mats was easily an afternoon, but I broke that up in a few different days. After my last trees, I think I will get the boat out, and take that out for a couple evenings or R&R.

I dont know how you guys do it. I have planted about 300 trees, and about 250 various cuttings. I am wiped out. I have been doing them by myself since the middle to end of April, I am down to about 10 trees left. Between my every day chores and my job, and family, I feel like I havent had a rest in a month. Not sure how you guys can do, 300+ and not be wiped out. Unless you have a digger, or a bunch of help.

Just making cages was a weekend chore, cutting weed mats was easily an afternoon, but I broke that up in a few different days. After my last trees, I think I will get the boat out, and take that out for a couple evenings or R&R.
I can feel you on that...I planted 59 trees between my house and a friend's. All caged and weed matted with screen and gravel around the bases of about 1/3 of those. Thank goodness for an auger or I would be more tired. Gonna try and turkey hunt and fly fish to get some R&R in...good idea on that!

400 trees tubed, weed matted for NRCS contract
40 fruit tubed weed matted
25 oaks not on contract tubed weed matted
25 Chinese Chestnuts tubed weed matted
75 acorns plugged and staked in roundup treated beds(I’ll tube what germinate)
25 thuja
25 BHS

5 RM18’s with trees started in them
35 bench grafts in nursery at the house.
Multiple hundreds of acorns randomly plugged this spring around the property

My spring has also been busy but I have three sons 10,14 and 18 years old they help a lot. Also cages are way more work if your cutting and making them. I bought 300 twenty foot rebar and hot sawed them twice to give me 600 stakes for this year’s planting.

I got about 35 of 75 Norway's planted and weed matted. I was tired. The boy wanted to go home and I said, ya I think that's a good idea. Let's go get a milkshake. Was sick this past weekend plus mothers day activities kept me in. Hopefully the rest will make it until Saturday.