What are you planting? ... Spring 2022

Flax
Vegetables
Fruit
Ditch spruce

I'm beginning to hybridize my deer food plot into a deer/human food plot. To be clear, I'm planning to eat the forage, not trespassing humans, for now.

You guys are busy little beavers........ Feel lazy.

Putting a bit more cover between the backyard and the new house behind it. 25 blue spruce 25 poplar. I york raked some of the grass up and frost seeded clover with some pelletized lime on it too.

Frost seeding my plots up north in a week or two. They're getting dumped with a foot of snow saturday. 2 or 3 spots will be broke in with oats n clover up there too. These spots are back on the property. Spent the last 2 years getting the easy low hanging fruit on the logging lease. Snowmobile trail and 3 old log landings by the road. The snowmobile trail had a temporary reroute into the road to the area. I will be putting a few spruces in the opening. I may try a tetraploid ryegrass clover mix in the neighbor's club portion of the trail. A few buck n hours of work will pay off well if we need a favor from them. They were nice of enough to let me mow it. Almost hit a sled in a tight spot over there, I opened up the trail with a mower and got of obstacles. The groomer can get it twice as wide now.....

I have rather modest plans compared to some. I am adding:

1 Crossbow - NWC
1 Droptine - NWC
1 30-06 - NWC
1 Bonkers - Cummins
1 Wickson - Cummins
1 Kerr - Cummins
25 Red Oak – NYS

The apples get full protection. The oaks get planted in the tops of recently cut trees, but other than that, they are on their own.

Has anyone had luck transferring natural growing oak seedlings into other spots? In the spring, before the ferns overtake the forest floor, I find a lot of foot tall oak seedlings growing, but they are always under larger oak trees, and won’t really stand a chance to ever become something because of the canopy. Would it be worth it to dig/pull these out and move them somewhere else? Or would they need to be transferred to a container?

Has anyone had luck transferring natural growing oak seedlings into other spots? In the spring, before the ferns overtake the forest floor, I find a lot of foot tall oak seedlings growing, but they are always under larger oak trees, and won’t really stand a chance to ever become something because of the canopy. Would it be worth it to dig/pull these out and move them somewhere else? Or would they need to be transferred to a container?
Oak has a taproot and doesn’t transplant well unless your digging very very small trees no bigger than 6” tall has been my experience.

Thanks, My woods is rather diverse with trees. I have a decent amount of oaks already, and I would need to open up an area just to replant them somewhere, but I was wondering.

Not planting any apples this spring but have a dozen seedlings I planted in fall to graft.

Also planting 50 Frasier Fir with the intent to sell them as Xmas trees when they get of size.

For plants with distrurb roots, it's good advice to partially shade them where you transplant them. Sometimes just need to do during the summer only. There's not enough root to overcome the misture loss. Over water them can cause the roots to rot. Hilling them helps the root rot. Oaks are one of the easier trees to plant from seed.

Would it be practical to put a cage around a couple and see if they grow? Or will they be doomed because of the canopy and will never get much sun?

If I had some young oaks and they where in deep shade I would simply open the canopy above them by cutting down or chemically killing a couple crap trees that are overtopping them. Giving them light to grow. I spend time wondering around my place looking for crop trees to release with some regularity I truly enjoy the walking to find them I make a mental note of where they are to latter release. Sometimes I just wonder around with an boys axe and bottle of Tordon RTU and do it all at once. I have found that almost completely ringing the tree to be killed is best. Last year I axed several smooth bark hickories with maybe 4” gap between axe hits and put Tordon RTU in the cuts. This year I happened to make it back to some of those locations and dropped a few of those same trees it was obvious that the hickory trees where still alive in the gaps between hits I should of snapped a couple photos to post I didn’t think of it at the time. So my recommendation is near complete ringing of trees marked for removal if not cut down.

Taking it easy on tree planting this year. I only have a couple large grafted dolgo and Early gold pears. Transplanting antovonka and renetka crabapples( 5 each). Then putting in a bunch of cuttings in rod, silky, yellow twig dogwoods, sandbar willows, and maybe some elderberry.
How tall do the Renetka crabs get?

Russian olive?

Very invasive plant, poor browse species, and not much screening ... why are you planting it?
My wife wants Russian olives?

ughhh

I just planted 45+ bare roots from Willis orchards.

oak,hickory,persimmon,butter nut,crab apple,catalpa, paw paw,chink pin,hazel nuts Mulberry

i got 300 plus tree seeds in pots, in a heated garage, l keep over 40 but no above ground sprouts yet

My wife wants Russian olives?

ughhh
Arrh, I'm fighting either autum olive or Russian olive in the back at my home. The birds must be landing in my trees and dropping seeds. It is growing right next to every willow planting I have done. It just showed up the last few years. Starting to piss me off. Nasty thorns, not a fan.

I've got a busy spring;

40 apple in the new orchard
8 pear in new orchard
25 hazelnut new property
25 American plum new property
4 pecan New property
10 more BHS around pond

12 apple Big Woods
2 pear Big Woods
12 persimmon Big Woods
And messing with a bunch of willow cuttings

Pottedtrees.com
3 Concolor fir (caged)
3 Douglass fir (caged)
6 Canadian hemlock (caged)
3 Frasir fir (caged)

Chief River Nursery
12- 12-18" Tamarack seedlings (no cage)
2- 8-16" (4 yo) Canadian hemlock transplants (caged)
2- 8-15" (4 yo) Black hills spruce transplants (no caged)
16- 10-18" (5 yo) White Pine transplants (caged)
6- 2-3' Swamp white oak seedlings (caged)
3- 2-3' Dolgo crab seedlings (caged)

University of Idaho plugs
10- Burr oak gambel (tubed)
5- Grand fir (caged)

Meeker NRCS
12- 2 gallon white cedar pots (caged)
12- 1 gallon red pine pots (caged)
5- two gallon austrian pine pots (caged)
25- red splendor crab apple trees (tubed)

200+ white spruce and balsam fir mixture of road ditch trees

I will install a weed mat on all of the trees I buy, and some of the ones from the road ditch. Taking it easy this year.

How tall do the Renetka crabs get?
Ranetka seedlings are standard size trees like Siberian and Dolgo crabs which make up their genetics so 20-30 ft. Mine are still a bit young to be that tall yet but have Siberians that are 25-30 ft tall and have seen Dolgos where they get the best care (arboretum) pushing over 35 ft.