What are you planting? ... Spring 2022

Tree Spud

5 year old buck +
Well we are in mid March and temps are starting to move in the right direction. I am spending lots of time prepping for spring planting. Cutting cages & varmint screens, cleaning tools, stakes, etc. Also have been fertilizing ~500 conifers I have planted last few year and pruning apple trees.

Here is my list for planting stating mid April if the weather cooperates. Apple trees for deer food, cider & eating apple orchard, and conifers for bedding cover & screening.

What is everyone else planting?

Apple Trees
Freedom Apple 2
Big Lou 4
Chesnut Crab 4
Big Dog 6
Buckman Crab 4
Kerr Crab 2
Enterprise 4
Turning Point 4
Harrison 2
30-06 4
Droptine 4
Winter Gold Crab 2
Redfield 2
Shepnose 2
Wicksen 4
Droptine 6
Crossbow 4
Golden Russet 1
Hunt Russet 2
Golden Russet 3
Winter Wildlife Crab 3
Roxbury Russet 2
Viginia Hewes 2
McIntosh 2

Conifers
Black Spruce 2'-3' 100
Blue Spruce 12"-18" 100
Norwegian Spruce 200
Black Hills Spruce 50
Ninebark 50
Hybrid Poplar 50

Well we are in mid March and temps are starting to move in the right direction. I am spending lots of time prepping for spring planting. Cutting cages & varmint screens, cleaning tools, stakes, etc. Also have been fertilizing ~500 conifers I have planted last few year and pruning apple trees.

Here is my list for planting stating mid April if the weather cooperates. Apple trees for deer food, cider & eating apple orchard, and conifers for bedding cover & screening.

What is everyone else planting?

Apple Trees
Freedom Apple 2
Big Lou 4
Chesnut Crab 4
Big Dog 6
Buckman Crab 4
Kerr Crab 2
Enterprise 4
Turning Point 4
Harrison 2
30-06 4
Droptine 4
Winter Gold Crab 2
Redfield 2
Shepnose 2
Wicksen 4
Droptine 6
Crossbow 4
Golden Russet 1
Hunt Russet 2
Golden Russet 3
Winter Wildlife Crab 3
Roxbury Russet 2
Viginia Hewes 2
McIntosh 2

Conifers
Black Spruce 2'-3' 100
Blue Spruce 12"-18" 100
Norwegian Spruce 200
Black Hills Spruce 50
Ninebark 50
Hybrid Poplar 50
Damn Tree Spud. That is ambitious. Now I feel bad about complaining about planting 75 Norways.

Is it bad to say I dont remember what I all ordered?

My first year in 15+ years, I wont be planting apple trees.
The wife wants a garden, I have no clue what she wants me to plant in it.
I have ordered some BHS, I think 50
Replanting a bunch of Norways seedlings from my land, to places I want them to be.
Plucking, and replanting White pine from my brothers land to mine.
I have I believe 25-50 white cedars ordered, I dont remember.

Several different bare root shrubs, including ROD, Ninebark, Chokecherry, American Plum
Then I am getting some cuttings from generous members of ROD, willows, and elderberry.

I am also edge feathering my food plots to thin out the over reaching trees that are grasping for open skies above my plots.

I have purchased a new wood boiler for this next season, so I need firewood, and I am opening the canopy in certain areas, and I plan on fencing off some of the stumps to allow stump sprouts to form.

In the next few years, the deer should have food to eat year around. I am planning on backing off from the food plots, and only planting winter rye, and clover in them all, and plan on supplying as much fresh browse as I can, along with fruits, mast, and cover.

Apples/Crabs:
2-Eliza's Choice-Willis
9-Midwest Crabs-Cold Stream
1-Sheepnose-NWC
1-Wickson-NWC
1-Gray Ghost-NWC

Conifers
6-White Pine-Cold Stream
5-Black Hills Spruce-Cold Stream
6-Norway Spruce-Cold Stream

Others
4-Hybrid Poplars-Cold Stream
9-Washington Hawthorn-Cold Stream

15 grey dogwood
25 redosier
25 silky
15 golden willow
10 laurel leaf willow
Eldeberry cuttings
Streamco willow cuttings
Flame willow cuttings
2 Trailman crabs from TCN

Not sure how many cuttings I will plant, I will cut them within the next 2 weeks, all other trees are coming from the local SWCD.

I finally decided I better quit ordering trees last week.

3-4 doz CAR resistant apples from 3 sources.
Cedars
RMJ
Ninebark
Willows
ROD
Elderberry
sumac
cottonwoods
lilacs
russian olives
american plum.

That's off the top of my head.

I'll have about 20ac of switchgrass to plant as well. Be a good way yo break in my new drill, if/when that shows up.

All I know at this point is its a lot.

I finally decided I better quit ordering trees last week.

3-4 doz CAR resistant apples from 3 sources.
Cedars
RMJ
Ninebark
Willows
ROD
Elderberry
sumac
cottonwoods
lilacs
russian olives
american plum.

That's off the top of my head.

I'll have about 20ac of switchgrass to plant as well. Be a good way yo break in my new drill, if/when that shows up.

All I know at this point is its a lot.

Russian olive?

Very invasive plant, poor browse species, and not much screening ... why are you planting it?

I also question the cottonwood. I have always hated all the damn sperm it spreads all over everything. I guess my hatred has always kept me from checking if there is any wildlife value to them.

Russian olive?

Very invasive plant, poor browse species, and not much screening ... why are you planting it?

I've got some very poor soils (alkaline) in one area. After soil tests the biologist agreed it was probably the only species of choice. Lots of critters use them in my area. Mostly as cover and to tear up.

Last edited:
I also question the cottonwood. I have always hated all the damn sperm it spreads all over everything. I guess my hatred has always kept me from checking if there is any wildlife value to them.

I like them around the edge of cattail sloughs. They volunteer there and create great habitat for all kinds of game living within the cattails. You can get seedless cottowoods as well. Its just a female version IIRC. I like the natives though as I want the seed to spread on its own.

They can be used almost like a willow in my area although I've never saw them sucker.

I did look them up, and it sounds like they have a lot more wildlife value then I thought. But since I live on my land, I would rather not have the cotton flying all over during the summer.

I did look them up, and it sounds like they have a lot more wildlife value then I thought. But since I live on my land, I would rather not have the cotton flying all over during the summer.
Your Air Conditioner thanks you;)

Taking it easy on tree planting this year. I only have a couple large grafted dolgo and Early gold pears. Transplanting antovonka and renetka crabapples( 5 each). Then putting in a bunch of cuttings in rod, silky, yellow twig dogwoods, sandbar willows, and maybe some elderberry.

4 pear trees, 9 chestnuts, and have 20 pear rootstock coming in to graft. I don't know if those will get planted this year or wait until they've grown out in the garden a year.

2 Chestnut crab
2 Dolgo
2 Franklin
2 Hewes
2 Yates
2 Keener
2 Bog Dog
2 Kerr
2 Elisa’s Choice
3 Novamac
2 Sundance
1 Granny Smith
1 Novaeasy Gro
10 pear seeding
15 pear rootstock for grafting
20 apple rootstock for grafting
2 AU Goobler
4 AU Buck 3
4 AU Buck 4
30 Seedling Chestnut

50 Persimmon
50 Pawpaw
50 Shumard
50 NRO
50 Black oak
50 Scarlet oak
75 Nutall
25 Black Jack oak
25 Pin oak

Direct seeded Sawtooth oak

Sure I’m forgetting stuff

Taking it easy on tree planting this year. I only have a couple large grafted dolgo and Early gold pears. Transplanting antovonka and renetka crabapples( 5 each). Then putting in a bunch of cuttings in rod, silky, yellow twig dogwoods, sandbar willows, and maybe some elderberry.
Where did you get the Renetka?

25 - chinkapin oak
30 - mystery swamp whites (maybe schuette's)
15 - pin oak ( possible red cross)
15 - english
10 - sawtooth
15 - whites
3 - chestnut oak ( possible English cross)
25 - hazelnut
6 - shumard x northern red cross
6 - pin x nuttall cross
9 - wildwood Elderberry
50 - dolgo rootstock
Countless norway spruce seedlings

My plan is for this to be the last "oak" year for me and switching to apples the next few years.

Tha
Paint creek nursery. I wanted a smaller crab for the grouse and turkeys. Only $4 for 3-4 ft trees.
Thanks I’ve been looking for some of them