All Things Cider

Also, I think before you start on this project, you should figure out what style of ciders you like and try to emulate them to some degree. I have spent the last year or 2 tasting as many different types as I can. There are some fantastic ciders out there, but many are difficult to find down here. Some of my favorites I've tried---

Vander Mill Totally Roasted (MI)--Semi-dry, brewed with roasted pecans. Nice nutty, complex finish.
Virtue The Mitten (MI)--Semi-dry, Aging in used bourbon barrels adds depth and spice to the finish.
J.K.'s Scrumpy (MI)--Semi-sweet, only apples and yeast. Everyone enjoys this one
Millstone Farmgate (MD)--More traditional like most farms would have had in their barn barrel 200 years ago. Funky, dry, and less carbonated.
Albemarle Ciderworks Goldrush(VA)--quite dry, carbonated, good complexity with a long finish.

That's exactly what I've been doing.

I'd add Starcut Ciders octorock. It's a semi-sweet that is really well balanced.

That's exactly what I've been doing.

I'd add Starcut Ciders octorock. It's a semi-sweet that is really well balanced.

I didn't mention Starcut because I've only had the Pulsar. I loved it but it was too dry for my friends. When we were in VA we visited and tasted at Castle Rock Ciders which had some gems as well. Lots of great ciders out there once you get out of the grocery store. I've had many (men mostly) say they're not fans of cider (usually in a pretty macho fashion), but all they've had are the from concentrate supermarket ciders. To me, that is like comparing Boone's Farm to Gaja Costa Russi. I've actually turned several of my friends into cider drinkers after they have tried some of the aforementioned.

I didn't mention Starcut because I've only had the Pulsar. I loved it but it was too dry for my friends. When we were in VA we visited and tasted at Castle Rock Ciders which had some gems as well. Lots of great ciders out there once you get out of the grocery store. I've had many (men mostly) say they're not fans of cider (usually in a pretty macho fashion), but all they've had are the from concentrate supermarket ciders. To me, that is like comparing Boone's Farm to Gaja Costa Russi. I've actually turned several of my friends into cider drinkers after they have tried some of the aforementioned.

Pulsar is good, but not quite sweet enough for my taste. I guess I didn't find much flavor, whether it be sweet, bitter, sour etc....

Michigan certainly has no shortage of great ciders. I recently tried one called dancing elephant. Cherry semi-sweet. Very very good.

If you ever find them, try " Le perre joules". They have a cider and a perry. Both are incredible. The owner is one of my sister's friend's mom.

Yeah, the Pulsar is quite dry, which many people don't like. I enjoyed it, although I prefer The Mitten which is sweeter. I'll give the Octorok a try next time I'm up. Le Pere Joules is based in France--I'm assuming that's who you are referring to? The French definitely know how to make quality cider.

Yeah, the Pulsar is quite dry, which many people don't like. I enjoyed it, although I prefer The Mitten which is sweeter. I'll give the Octorok a try next time I'm up. Le Pere Joules is based in France--I'm assuming that's who you are referring to? The French definitely know how to make quality cider.

Yes sir. Le Pere Joules. They lived a few blocks over from me while I was growing up. It's a pretty new company.

Yes sir. Le Pere Joules. They lived a few blocks over from me while I was growing up. It's a pretty new company.
That's pretty cool--you should go visit, looks like they are in a big cider producing region. Speaking of which, forgot to mention, my family is from Antrim County, so I have a special place in my heart for Shorts/Starcut.

That's pretty cool--you should go visit, looks like they are in a big cider producing region. Speaking of which, forgot to mention, my family is from Antrim County, so I have a special place in my heart for Shorts/Starcut.

I'd love to go there, I just need to be able to pay for it :) ! I was talking to the owner a few weeks ago about cider, and she said when her makers come over here she'd give me a call. I'm sure I wouldn't be able to absorb all of it right now, but it'd still be cool to talk to them!

I was wondering how you ended up in Florida with property up here in Michigan. After going to Kalamazoo College, I'm a Bells man myself, but Shorts is my definite #3 after Founders.

Where abouts in Florida are you? My parents have a place in Longboat Key. Right next to Sarasota.

Aero, What type of yeast are you using? I used the Lalvin EC 1118 for my 1st two attempts. I plan to try the following other types of yeast: Nottingham (Ale yeast), Red Star - Cotes des Blancs (wine yeast), Safale S-04 (Ale yeast), and WYEast 4766 (cider yeast). Look forward to hearing how your cider turns out! Thanks!
I used EC 1118 in all my batches and was very happy. I just moved my batches out of second fermentation into its 3rd to get it off the sediment and will let it go for a few months more before bottling it. I tasted all of them today and all were great including the pure Honeycrisp cider batch. Will take some pics and post soon. I think the peptic enzyme I put in did the trick on getting it crystal clear

Picked up a 300 gal water tank via craigslist tonight - will be used for hauling water to the newer apple trees:

image.jpeg

Fine looking cider, Aero !! Looks as clear as Jack D. or Dewars !! How much are they still working ??

Not really working now. Will back sweeten then charge to give it some bubbles and bottle. Then leave it for 2 months then start tasting. Should be above 6% alcohol

When I saw those fermentation locks on the bottles I thought it might be working yet. It looks good though !!

Will you haul with tractor ? With pto? If so can hook up roller pump with 2 hoses for easy watering
Hi Aero, I don't have a tractor yet - will haul with truck and gravity feed off hill. Thanks for the tip on the roller pump! Thanks!

Ignore my response in im. Gravity feed should work as long as you can get high enough or if you can but a simple motor that could drive a roller pump with the only issue as to how the pump would attach to the motor to spin the pump. I was wondering what you will haul that 300 gallon tank with as well? The 250 gallon tank I use to water mine really is a load even for my 75 hp tractor Does your tank have an outlet on the lower part of the tank? That would be a good thing to allow for better gravity flow You can probably make one if there is not one already

Ignore my response in im. Gravity feed should work as long as you can get high enough or if you can but a simple motor that could drive a roller pump with the only issue as to how the pump would attach to the motor to spin the pump. I was wondering what you will haul that 300 gallon tank with as well? The 250 gallon tank I use to water mine really is a load even for my 75 hp tractor Does your tank have an outlet on the lower part of the tank? That would be a good thing to allow for better gravity flow You can probably make one if there is not one already

Initially will use a pick-up truck to move the tank. Two of three orchards are on hill sides, so gravity flow will work for awhile but I will look at options to run a pump. No lower outlet yet, I will add one. The person I bought it from used it in conjunction with setting up above ground pools and used an electric pump. Thanks for your comments and suggestions!

It's probably overkill, but for a fun project I made a pump for my water tote with a submersible bilge pump (like this: http://bit.ly/1YoxgBL, *broken link, see fixed link below *) powered via a switched cigarette lighter adapter (like this: http://www.vetco.net/catalog/images/VUPN7724.jpg), hose, electrical wire, some connectors, and heat shrink tubing. It worked like a charm!

Last edited:
It's probably overkill, but for a fun project I made a pump for my water tote with a submersible bilge pump (like this: http://bit.ly/1YoxgBL) powered via a switched cigarette lighter adapter (like this: http://www.vetco.net/catalog/images/VUPN7724.jpg), hose, electrical wire, some connectors, and heat shrink tubing. It worked like a charm!

Thanks for the info L2L, How long of a hose did you run off the pump? Looks like the link to the pump has changed. Appreciate the info! Thanks.

Thanks for the info L2L, How long of a hose did you run off the pump? Looks like the link to the pump has changed. Appreciate the info! Thanks.

Re: hose, I used about 20' which is about what I needed to run from the bottom of the tote (carried in a Polaris, though not with the tote full) up to my left hand while I sit in the driver's seat. That way I can drive to a tree, stop, point the hose at the base of the tree, turn the pump on by clicking the switch on the cigarette lighter with my right hand, and voila, water!

re: link to the pump, let's try this one: http://www.westmarine.com/buy/rule-...rsible-electric-bilge-pumps--P011_330_001_535