A few habitat pics I thought you might enjoy

Love the green snake!!! Great pictures, great place. A work of wildlife habitat art! Do you have any trail cams set up on your fruit or chestnuts??

Thanks Jordan. I was crossing the gate and almost put my hand right on that little green snake...LOL.

I have my cameras on the food plots and around the outside perimeter right now. I've moved some around in the past to different trees and do get a few pictures that way.

Beautiful property NH!! Lots of hard work is looking great.

Thanks NH Mountains. It's funny hard work at habitat doesn't affect us the same as hard work in the office.:) The habitat work gives us energy instead of zapping energy.

Beautiful pics NH. When I think of the millions of people that live in cities and towns in apartments and postage stamp sized lots I feel so blessed to own enough land to be able to enjoy this great hobby of creating habitat for wildlife.

Beautiful pics NH. When I think of the millions of people that live in cities and towns in apartments and postage stamp sized lots I feel so blessed to own enough land to be able to enjoy this great hobby of creating habitat for wildlife.

Thanks greyphase, and I will add a big "Amen" to that. And once you get a taste of country life, its in your blood forever. I have a neighbor who grew up in New York City. He can't quit talking about how much he loves the country.

Is this a mix of switch and goldenrod? I like it better than just switch.

Yes, that is goldenrod, and I agree with you that I like to see some of it in a mix. There is also some other NWSGs in that area too.

Mowing more seems to promotes the grasses, and mowing less seems to allow the goldenrod to get stronger.

Flowering dogwood.
As those flowering, the berries turn white?

As those flowering, the berries turn white?

The berries on these stay red and some get darker to a lavender color. The blooms in the spring are bright white and a few have a pinkish cast.

Squirrels love to eat them.

I love having a lawn mower on my farm. I had some pigweed issues in the new plot and took care of them today. Removed the pigweed and had some nice clover and oats coming in under the PW canopy. It won't have time to come back before frost. The following are some pics from today and recent.

Old plot by the new plot:

Final mowing this year of the road through the grass jungle to my blind.

Nearby tight bark hickory with some nice nuts.

The Sea of Pea

28 day old chicory with no fertilize. Being browsed hard already.

Ugly pears due to late spring freeze.

My apple net is a winner.

All for a few days. Thanks - Steve

Great pics! I like the road thru the jungle grass great way too sneak in. That parteidge pea/native grass looks really thick.

Great pics! I like the road thru the jungle grass great way too sneak in. That parteidge pea/native grass looks really thick.

Thanks. Yep, I would hate to travel through that without the road. Makes it easy to slither through without being detected and keeps you dry.

I built a road but not out of gravel or asphalt. I used oats, chicory and clover. The deer are eating this hard right now, and I think its cool how some of them pull the chicory and oats out by the roots, turn it in their mouths, and take it down bottom first.

Surprised to see my plots so busy this week with all of these now laying on the ground.

I've been calling this fall food plot invader "Perilla." Is that what you call it????

Your chicory lane is beautiful along with all the other pictures! That rd looks like a great place to reach out an touch one with the 260;)

Your chicory lane is beautiful along with all the other pictures! That rd looks like a great place to reach out an touch one with the 260;)

Thanks Jordan. That road is actually down wind of where I enter my primary rifle stand, and I can see most of it from there. So, I can usually enter without being detected. It borders a good bedding place, so it could be a nice place for a buck to come out and take an early bite in the afternoon. I only did about 100 yards of road for an experiment, but could add another 200 - 300 yards easily later on. My truck in the pic is setting where the plot road currently ends.

Last edited:
I thought I was through working for the year and ready to hunt, but got a call from someone who raised a bunch of Dunstan Chestnut trees from seed this year. Said he had 8 trees he didn't need and I could have them for $5 each. Well, I couldn't resist. Guess I know what I will be doing Saturday.

Also got my first chestnuts this year from a grafted tree (Eaton River Chestnut) that I planted. Really, I planted this one for myself rather than the deer since it is supposed to be a great eating DR timber type chestnut.

Three different paw paw trees in my yard with vastly different leaves. Just thought I would take a pic to illustrate:

Always somrthing isn't it, good find and nice looking trees.

Always somrthing isn't it, good find and nice looking trees.

Yep, I always have time for a new chestnut, because I like them right out of the hull as well as the deer do.:D

I'm going to plant two at home for myself and the rest at the farm for the deer. How's that for not being selfish...LOL.

Love that grass tunnel also. That looks awesome !

No concern from you guys about the golden rod over powering the switch?

Love that grass tunnel also. That looks awesome !

No concern from you guys about the golden rod over powering the switch?

Thanks. And yes, goldenrod is a fierce competitor. If it gets a good head start on native grasses, your native grasses will never establish at all. I have areas where the grass outcompetes it, but other areas where it outcompetes the grass. One good thing is that you can knock goldenrod back anytime you want with nothing but 24D. Next year I'm going to hit some spots where it tries to dominate, but not bother it where its just a few scattered plants.