A few habitat pics I thought you might enjoy

Wow! You've got a French restaurant going there, Native. That's a huge variety of grub for the critters and your family. Nice tower, too. If you're gonna build it - go big or go home! As far as apples go, I'd agree with OhioShedder on the Enterprise. Great apple for DR and it's a mid-October & later ripener in Pa. We have 3 planted at our camp with 2 more to come for next spring. ( along with more Liberty, Dolgo, Kerr ). Thanks for the tip on Black Limbertwig - gonna have to try it. Look up Goldrush apple. Very late dropper and a DR tree. ( We also have Goldrush at camp ). Thanks for the tour & aerial shot.

Thanks Bowsnbucks,

If you build it they will come.:D I will check into the cultivars you mentioned.

Thanks for the feedback on the apple trees NH. That's just the kind of info that I was looking for. I have been grafting and planting some of the more obscure varities also and hope in a few years to have experiences to share about them.

Rick

Sounds good Rick. We will be looking forward to hearing about your grafting and growing experiences.

I will add some more info and pics to this thread soon.

This is the Striped June apple I mentioned:

This is weeping mulberry. I grow these at home but could add them at the farm too. Great taste. Crop failure for the first time this year due to late freeze. Also affected many apples but didn't seem to hurt pears.

A better mulberry - Illinois Everbearing - but you better be quicker than the birds.

Moonglow Pear. FB can't touch it:

Tame Blackberries I grow at home. Many wild ones at farm - Don't need to plant any.

Bevan's Favorite prior to ripening:

Black Limbertwig a few weeks before ripening last year:

Moonglow this year - still far from ripe and should have been thinned:

Unknown variety that I need to graft or lose. New Road is taking it. Does anyone know what it might be? FB and CAR resistant.

Terry Winter early in the season:

Wild Berries at the farm:

Found something this year I had no idea existed in our country. Came up after logging when sunlight started hitting the ground. I'm going to keep an area of these going. They are Lowbush Blueberry according to F&W contact. Taste is great. And since I am a failure at growing blueberries at home - this is nice.:D

Here is an apple tree I will sell you cheap. Anyone want any scions from this one.:D

I had a few minutes this afternoon to post some more recent pictures.

This is the Priscilla Apple I mentioned. It is ripening right now. Apples were hit hard by the late freeze this spring so the crops are smaller this year on some. And, some apples this year are odd shaped due to the freeze - especially the Liberty apples I had this year.

This is Myers Royal Limbertwig.

Clover and Chicory rebounding nice from the recent mowing. The numerous rains are making it take off good.

Looks like a lot of stuff coming up in the recently planted plots. This had a grain mixture with clovers and a light dusting of turnips. Planted just a few days ago. I know less about food plots than anything else I do. This is only my third year plotting.

I noticed sticktight is blooming today. I've read its a good deer plant, but I can't say I've ever seen it browsed very much. Maybe too much other stuff to choose from.

I had to fry some worms on one of my chestnut trees. They had really worked on it.

This dogwood must think its fall.

And candy is starting to rain from heaven. Better than last year but still a light crop from what I see,

I wondered what would finally come up in this loggers road from last year. They tore the ground up good. Looks like some native tickseed sunflower seed were in the ground. This is at the edge of my property line. I hope they grow a little taller as I need some screening in this spot. You can see one of my no trespassing signs in the back of the pic. Everything but this spot is screened well here.

I will end today with a pic of my primary mowing rig. A TN 70D with a 10 foot woods. This is a great outfit. I'm pretty much done with it for the year, but it will get a lot of action next spring.

Thanks, and hope you enjoyed the pics today.

Never tire of looking at your pics. I grafted a couple Meyers Royal Limbertwigs this spring. How are they for fresh eating? That Priscilla will be on my scionwood list for next spring. That's a big rig in that last pic, nice.

Never tire of looking at your pics. I grafted a couple Meyers Royal Limbertwigs this spring. How are they for fresh eating? That Priscilla will be on my scionwood list for next spring. That's a big rig in that last pic, nice.

Thanks greyphase. This is the first year the Myers has fruited for me, so I'm getting ready to taste them for the first time. Last year was the first time for Priscilla, and I thought the taste of it was fantastic.

The Myers had a few limbs that showed FB, but not really too bad. This was a serious year for FB here.

My tractor and hog gets the job done, and dad has a larger tractor with a 15 foot bat wing. He offered to help me mow next year, and I said "YES."

Another Limbertwig that I've not got to try yet is Caney Fork. The lady I bought it from at the nursery is a school teacher and she said they took samples of all the apples they grew to school for the kids to try. CF was chosen as the favorite by more than any other. My tree is growing well but had no blooms this spring, so don't know yet how it will be with FB. It has some moderate CAR spotting but not severe enough (I think) to bother it much when it gets to fruiting.

Yeh geat pictures, enjoyed them quite a bit!

Did some walking yesterday and checked a native persimmon tree I've been watching for a few years. When I get into persimmon grafting I plan on using scions from this tree.

Also noticed a bumper crop on Black Gum this year. The fence row I walked has a lot of these. Leaves already turning and falling.

White clover mowed recently rebounding nicely. I whacked a few of those purple mint plants (can't remember the name) out of it with a weed eater. No other serious weed problems at the moment.

Looking at the plots from about 150 yards away - up high!

Dark green is the red clover and chicory I posted pics of earlier this year. Ground just beginning to green is one of the new plots. I love this view. Hope you enjoy.

Great pics!

It never fails. Any tree that falls has to find my fence. This one came from the neighbors woods and into the prevailing wind...LOL. I did the sawing and my hero (my dad) brought the Super M and helped me put the fence back up.

Not a professional looking job but not bad for the moment.

Pear tree set this spring looking great.

Fall is arriving:

It's nice to be able to do things with your Dad - even chores. Dads are there to help when a need comes up. No stranger to the tractor either I guess? Pear tree looks REAL good.

It's nice to be able to do things with your Dad - even chores. Dads are there to help when a need comes up. No stranger to the tractor either I guess? Pear tree looks REAL good.

Thanks, and yes, he fits that tractor like Dale Junior fit his race car.:)

What type of tree is that?

Its one of our native dogwoods in this area. It was in the fence row beside the place I did the repairs, and we have lots of these around here. I think it would be a "Grey Dogwood."

Thanks. Here are just a few random pics from this weekend I thought I would post.

Love the green snake!!! Great pictures, great place. A work of wildlife habitat art! Do you have any trail cams set up on your fruit or chestnuts??