A few habitat pics I thought you might enjoy

Looks great! You just be getting timely rains down there. My clover is brown..

Bill, yes our rains have been incredible. I planted my last plot 3 days ago in wet soil and packed it in. I had lots of germination today. Never saw seed germinate that fast.

Two weeks ago I mowed that clover plot with a lawn mower. I overseeded some grains and brassicas into it before mowing.

Last edited:
A few recent pictures:

g5ShmY5h.jpg

zkxDW7eh.jpg

y6CURG4h.jpg

yRa7eLth.jpg

3vv3KxBh.jpg

VXCD877h.jpg

Vulhw4Zh.jpg

Y9DEkdEh.jpg

vF1WvZVh.jpg

Looking good, Native! All nature is putting on a show as summer wraps up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Wow. That's what rain and hard work can do?

Nice to see the progress! All your soft mast pics give me hope that I will some day have apples for my boys to slay deer over!

I'm a happy camper tonight. I recently let a guy start trapping on my land for coyotes. He sent me the first two pic below tonight. He got these two today.

I'm so happy to see this with fawning season coming up soon. Plus, as you can see in the other pics, I got overrun with them recently.

znAEQC1h.jpg

Rv0frJ5h.jpg

jvba8f4h.jpg

bCaZysih.jpg

Maybe he will also catch the HUGE CAT......

UMdLEZCh.jpg

Native - Reference the bobcat: Is everything you grow there BIG ??? That's a healthy cat for sure.

Good to see some yotes in the traps. Keep us up on the tally the trapper gets.

Native - Reference the bobcat: Is everything you grow there BIG ??? That's a healthy cat for sure.

Good to see some yotes in the traps. Keep us up on the tally the trapper gets.

Bows, that bobcat is really massive. He has spent the last few winters here but seems to change his range in the summer. I've shown close up pics of him to a few trappers before, and they all say he is the biggest one they have ever seen. Even though he is like an Icon here, I hope the trapper gets him too.

Thanks, and I will let you know if he catches anything else......

Good deal. I think I have to do this.
I had an older gent stop a few years back inquiring. Said he'd come in for two weeks after deer season, hit it hard and be gone until the following year.

Good deal. I think I have to do this.
I had an older gent stop a few years back inquiring. Said he'd come in for two weeks after deer season, hit it hard and be gone until the following year.

I'm going to start doing it every year. Hunting them is fine, but I think in the long run that trapping is more effective and takes out more of them for the time spent. It's a great time to live for anyone who wants to trap. If he wanted to, I bet he could catch 15 coons at my place and probably that many possums....

I'm going to start doing it every year. Hunting them is fine, but I think in the long run that trapping is more effective and takes out more of them for the time spent. It's a great time to live for anyone who wants to trap. If he wanted to, I bet he could catch 15 coons at my place and probably that many possums....

If you are trying to get rid of racoons, get a dozen dog-proof traps and some chain. They love marshmallows and cat food.

If you are trying to get rid of racoons, get a dozen dog-proof traps and some chain. They love marshmallows and cat food.

Yes, I've heard that from several people. I'm hoping my trapper will thin them some for me. I think he can trap until the end of February.....

Native - Just from the tire track in the pic and imagining a guy standing there next to the cat - it looks like the cat would be over knee high at it's back !!!! It would be cool to have that one full-body mounted.

I hate Eastern coyotes. I hope your guy gets them all.

Native - Just from the tire track in the pic and imagining a guy standing there next to the cat - it looks like the cat would be over knee high at it's back !!!! It would be cool to have that one full-body mounted.

Yes, he is a hoss. Here is a pic from about 3 or 4 years ago:

eEsvYnBh.jpg

Here is one from last year:

21EGTQAh.jpg

Good lord! That's a big bobcat.

Good lord! That's a big bobcat.

Yep, I had a 100% sure shot at him a while back - perfectly legal during season - but, he moved into cover just seconds before I could grab the rifle and get set up.

My place is literally covered with bunny rabbits, so he eats well. I get pics of a few others at times, including a female with a radio tracking collar by the F&W. I gave them her picture and they furnished me with a map showing her ever movement for a year. Her core is a little over a mile south of me on a creek.

As much as I hate coyotes and coons, I have a thing for bobcats because I have never seen one, and they are mysterious. Still, would love to get a big one and have it stuffed. Cool animals.

We have cats all over at camp and I don't see any impact on deer. We have so many mice, shrews, voles, squirrels, chipmunks, etc. - they eat well. Coyotes much more danger to deer / fawns. We have a trapping season for them, (cats), and guys take a few here and there. I've had them stalk me while squeaking with my lips, jump up on trees and look at me, and also look at me, then continue on down a trail like I was no big deal. I like seeing them - wild and untamed critters, and great mouse killers.

Thanks for the cat pix, Native.

Trapper has had a terrible week for trapping. Rain, rain, rain and everything like a swamp. But he caught a collared cat today and has managed to catch a few coons.

We believe this is the same one I had on my place in 2014 with a collar that F&W gave me info on.

Plot Twist: I gave him all the info on this cat that the F&W gave to me back in 2014. He thinks he was the one who caught it originally about 6 miles from here and gave it to F&W. Wouldn't that be unusual? Guy catches the cat and a few years later catches the same one again about 6 miles away from original location.

Note that the long black antenna has broken off at some point....

LhIz6p4.jpg

GNr04S8.jpg