A few habitat pics I thought you might enjoy

Native that pear looks brown on the wildlife group webpagecthey describe Galloway as green. That is not what I expected though I'd be happy with it if that's what I get!

f37169e18ca33f7f11acb1a0591bfda4.jpg

This is the picture that accompanies Galloway on their website and what I was thinking it would look like.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

f37169e18ca33f7f11acb1a0591bfda4.jpg

This is the picture that accompanies Galloway on their website and what I was thinking it would look like.

Nehawg, I had seen that picture before but it had been a long time since I looked at it. I'm going to bet that they mis-labeled my tree. But, after tasting one of those today, I'm not going to complain about it. It was super sweet. I had already thought that it seemed too early for Galloway, but most are still hanging and I figured maybe some just ripened a little early. I'm not sure what it is, but whatever it is I like it.

Last edited:
I thought it may be the Arthur Ledbetter tree. Supposed to ripen early to mid Sept.

Here is the description of it from there website.

3f762391db6a8d9b652a1b9762a24115.jpg

Not big enough for Arthur Ledbetter I think. Not sure what it would be that they have.

I have a wild tree with pears about that size, but they aren't fit to eat....

Thanks for the update. Your place always looks awesome.

NH I don't know what that small pear is either, but I bet it will be a great wildlife pear. I like the looks of it.

NH I don't know what that small pear is either, but I bet it will be a great wildlife pear. I like the looks of it.

Thanks MH. I'm going to watch for when the last ones finally drop. I have to believe the ones already down are ripe, because they just tasted too good.

I said I wouldn't walk to this plot until after season - I didn't - I drove to it - so I didn't lie. :D

Thrilled with this - 19 days since planting with two rains not that great - the low area made the difference - other plots ok but not nearly this good. The trees are the head of a ditch, so moisture here is good to go.

Thanks for sharing Steve! I always love the pictures of your place.

Thanks for sharing Steve! I always love the pictures of your place.

Thanks wiscwhip, I enjoy the work, and like sharing the pictures too.

All looks good, Steve - situation normal at your place. That extra moisture put the gas to those radishes / turnips. Dad looks good. Tell him " hello " and keep his trigger finger limbered up !! Thanks for sharing the pix.

All looks good, Steve - situation normal at your place. That extra moisture put the gas to those radishes / turnips. Dad looks good. Tell him " hello " and keep his trigger finger limbered up !! Thanks for sharing the pix.

Thanks Bowsnbucks, and I will tell Dad hello for you. I hope all is well with you and that you are getting ready to enjoy some good fall hunting.

I think dad is ready for the fall coyote thrashing on the farm south of mine when they cut the hay. He has them thinned down so much that I've only been getting one on camera lately, but hopefully the mowing will draw some in for him to hunt.

I got a daylight picture of the wide 8 in one of the new plots yesterday morning. My son likes that deer so hopefully he will get a shot at him during the upcoming October Smokepole season. The will be the first time for us deer hunting this year.

When I checked cameras yesterday, I saw a lot of pattern changes in the deer. The bachelor group was only together part of the time, and I could see velvet shedding on some of them. They were also back at the mineral licks for the first time since spring. I also noticed that they were on a new route early in the morning and it looks like bedding location has changed.

I hit our shooting lanes one more time with the bushhog yesterday. Surely it is late enough now that I won't have to do that again. I'm in idle mode on habitat work now for a while - eating some good apples and pears in the meantime.

Place looks good!
I see fish gig is still on deck.

I've also noted major changes in thier patterns over the last few weeks. No easy early pattern kill in the cards this year unless someone falls back into a routine. :(

Place looks good!
I see fish gig is still on deck.

I've also noted major changes in thier patterns over the last few weeks. No easy early pattern kill in the cards this year unless someone falls back into a routine. :(

Thanks Bill.

Yea, I think the only way I could get that old fish gig to leave is in the bed of a pickup truck - which is exactly what I have planned for him...:D

He's a beauty, Native. I hope your son gets a clear crack at him.

He's a beauty, Native. I hope your son gets a clear crack at him.

Thanks.

This deer seems really content here, and I would be surprised if he left. But who knows what a crazy deer might do...:D