WI gun opener coming up

Peeps

5 year old buck +
I had a great bow season and now I'm getting ready for our gun season next weekend. I'll be sitting with my 11 yr old son hopefully coaching him to his second buck. He is super excited!! My wife bought her first ever licsense and she will be sitting in a pop up with our 8 yr old daughter hoping for a crack at her first buck. They are super excited too!! I just checked the extended forecast and so far the weather looks good with temps in the mid 30's and 10 mph winds out of the NW. The guns are all sighted in including the smoke pole incase buck tags are unfilled for muzzleloader season. I love this time of the year. Everyone else getting excited too?

I had a great bow season and now I'm getting ready for our gun season next weekend. I'll be sitting with my 11 yr old son hopefully coaching him to his second buck. He is super excited!! My wife bought her first ever licsense and she will be sitting in a pop up with our 8 yr old daughter hoping for a crack at her first buck. They are super excited too!! I just checked the extended forecast and so far the weather looks good with temps in the mid 30's and 10 mph winds out of the NW. The guns are all sighted in including the smoke pole incase buck tags are unfilled for muzzleloader season. I love this time of the year. Everyone else getting excited too?

You betcha. I am a bowhunter first but gun season is right there. That is when the family gets involved and it is a very special time with Thanksgiving and such

It's a fun time, just not sure where I'll be set up yet.

I used to not even look forward to gun season.... As a die hard bow hunter there were just too many things that go on during gun season I didn't care for.

I've evolved past that, now its more about getting Jake out with me to harvest a deer, visit all of the local deer camps, hang out with old friends and make new ones.

I'm looking forward to it now!

-John

Never heard of it?

Bow hunting is really something I do on my own. Occasionally my nephew will join me; however, he now has a girl friend so he is constantly in rut.

The whole gun hunting week is a lot more social. Opening weekend is just the guys, but we have thanksgiving up at our place and friends & family are through all week with some hunting with us.

I then really look forward to muzzle loader & late bow as it is quiet again.

I'll be out looking to shoot a doe. Gun season used to be great and everything but since my grandpa is gone, it isn't the same. Not to mention I get tired of listening to my cousin complain about how the neighbors shot this 2 year old or they shot a mature buck and blah blah blah.

Since I took up bowhunting, gun season is more of a social event. My two brothers, 1 nephew and my son all get together. It's all about trying the the nephew and son a deer. We all have to go back to work or school the next week (well, i don't..but I'm not hunting by myself). The last weekend, after Thanksgiving we'll usually go out for a bit as well.
It's a special time of year, that's for sure.

Rifle season is a PIA, but it is the only season I deer hunt now, so I deal with it. Not the same now that the old man sold the place and moved to WY. My uncle can't hunt this year due to medical reasons and my daughter is in SD. Other than my buddy that I introduced to hunting last season, I will likely be the remaining "lone wolf" of a one time party of 20+ guys hunting in our old public stomping grounds. So be it I guess. Even though "our group" is down to 2 guys, the pressure on those public grounds seems to get heavier each season.

Info from WI DNR on next weeks noon chat session:

http://dnr.wi.gov/news/releases/article/?id=3772

I must be weird. I can't wait to get my hands on the Regs and read them way back in late August. I never understood the "figure stuff out now and buy your license at the last moment" and have to stand in line crowd.

Huh what? E registration? Since when? When did they propose that. Boy that DNR slips this stuff through without telling anyone. Those poor bars won't get any business. How can I see what the Andersons shot down the road now?

What zone do you hunt in sir? 77B. Ahhh no sir, its by county now. What? Since when?

What do you mean I have to buy a public and private land tag? Damn the DNR just wants more money. What do you mean no public tags? How are we supposed to do our drives?

I must be weird. I can't wait to get my hands on the Regs and read them way back in late August. I never understood the "figure stuff out now and buy your license at the last moment" and have to stand in line crowd.

Huh what? E registration? Since when? When did they propose that. Boy that DNR slips this stuff through without telling anyone. Those poor bars won't get any business. How can I see what the Andersons shot down the road now?

What zone do you hunt in sir? 77B. Ahhh no sir, its by county now. What? Since when?

What do you mean I have to buy a public and private land tag? Damn the DNR just wants more money. What do you mean no public tags? How are we supposed to do our drives?

LMAO,....that's a pretty good synopsis!

Rifle season is a PIA, but it is the only season I deer hunt now, so I deal with it. Not the same now that the old man sold the place and moved to WY. My uncle can't hunt this year due to medical reasons and my daughter is in SD. Other than my buddy that I introduced to hunting last season, I will likely be the remaining "lone wolf" of a one time party of 20+ guys hunting in our old public stomping grounds. So be it I guess. Even though "our group" is down to 2 guys, the pressure on those public grounds seems to get heavier each season.

Info from WI DNR on next weeks noon chat session:

http://dnr.wi.gov/news/releases/article/?id=3772

That's too bad, Wiscwhip. If it wasn't for my Brothers and son, I sure wouldn't go. If I had more than 50 acres to hunt on, I'd invite you over to Waushara Cty.

LOL thanks for the thought! It really is strange that as much as the hunting has changed(completely for the worse) in that area in the last 39 years for me(I was out helping make drives at the age of 8 with our group when we weren't hunting stands on our own properties), I feel drawn and compelled to at least go back there for a few days of hunting each season, even though the deer where I live(LaCrosse) are more abundant and the bucks are by far larger. I think when that feeling finally goes away for good, I will likely give it up altogether.

Growing up I don't remember my dad ever bow hunting. It was all about gun hunting with the smooth bore 12 ga and every deer harvested was celebrated no matter how small the rack was as it was meat on the table. If one was lucky enough to get a "hunters choice" tag the pressure was on for that hunter to get a deer for the family. When I turned 12 I asked if we could go to the range to sight in our guns. My dad looked at me funny and said why would we do that. Slugs cost money and the guns were on last year. I finally talked him into letting me shoot 4 slugs before opening day. Boy did I get some stink eye when I started passing up the lil bucks. I've brought my son up vastly different when it comes to hunting but I wouldn't trade my memories hunting with my dad for anything. He is the one who lit my fire for hunting. So even tho I love bow hunting much more, gun hunting will always have a special spot in my heart.

I know what you mean..... until I bought this property we still drove over to Chippewa, stayed with my mom, and hunted on the same crap piece of public land outside of Thorp that we had since 1970...even though we seldom saw many deer.

Like others I enjoy the gun season probably more for the social aspect than anything, especially now that my kids, nieces and nephews are at the age they can hunt. There is always a story to be told, maybe a few times, especially if they were successful.

I must me the exception. ...I don't bow hunt and enjoy gun season. Enjoy muzzleloader season even more.

I know what you mean..... until I bought this property we still drove over to Chippewa, stayed with my mom, and hunted on the same crap piece of public land outside of Thorp that we had since 1970...even though we seldom saw many deer.

Chippewa is my home town!!!

-John

The only time of year I get to hunt 4-5 days in a row is during gun season. Combine that with tradition, friends, family, and usually a deer harvest or two and that = Good Times

I must me the exception. ...I don't bow hunt and enjoy gun season. Enjoy muzzleloader season even more.
I would hunt the muzzleloader season if they would allow me to use a blackpowder revolver.