Who is your least favorite author or "T.V. Hunter"

Btw ... don't know what his wife looks like and he doesn't own 4000 acres of prime Iowa whitetail land. šŸ˜‰
i hear ya on the wife part, however, I don't hate on a guy like Lee for having 4000 acres of paradise. He created that. He gave up a lot of other things I wouldn't in order to achieve that. Borrowed money I wouldn't, and laid it all on the line for that land. Good for him. I'm not interested in giving up some of the things he did in order to get there. But I can't hate a guy for doing so.

Same with Chuck Adams from what I've heard. He gave up family, marriage, etc in order to hunt. My family means more to me than any set of antlers.

If you want to learn how to scout and hunt whitetails, follow Dan Infalt. His Blood Brothers videos on marsh, farmland, and hill country bucks are outstanding. Almost all of his bucks are from public land.

His hunting beast YouTube videos are also worth watching. He is the blue collar, real deal bow hunting guy.

Btw ... don't know what his wife looks like and he doesn't own 4000 acres of prime Iowa whitetail land. šŸ˜‰

Dan is awfully likable. I think his wardrobe is 90% made up of walmart hoodies and t-shirts from tourist trap t-shirt stores. I bet the elite product pimpers and outdoor industry hate him because he shows everyone you don't need crap to get it done.

Remember when you had to go to the local VHS video store to find hunting shows. They were amateur and awesome! Any of you guys ever watch "Whitetail Eye to Eye" with Alan Altizer from around 1990? Most inspiring hunting vid I ever watched. I became somewhat proficient at taking deer while still-hunting on the ground due to that video. Got pretty good at it with the compound. Whole new level trying to do it with trad bows.

Remember when you had to go to the local VHS video store to find hunting shows.
I have a couple bow hunting vids by Gene & Barry Wensel, and I think Gene Bidlespacher (sp.?) was the camera man. I also have a couple of their books. Some of their advice put me onto several bucks I got with a bow. Back-tracking bucks and reading little-noticed sign have been 2 tactics I learned from the Wensel brothers that have paid off. I'd love to take them on a walk in some of my deer territories to get further schooled ........... just watching what they look at.

Don't know much about Lee Lakosky. But saying he outworks anyone on this board is a bit presumptuous, no?

Not really. What people see is his kill videos, not the days and nights he spends on a tractor.. preparing, planning, planting, etc with the level of agronomy that most farmers would envy. He started from zero and built it to what he has today.

The Drurys have a lot of ā€œhelpersā€ with that. And they donā€™t go to near the level that Lakosky does. They are plotting, Lee is farming.

I have a couple bow hunting vids by Gene & Barry Wensel, and I think Gene Bidlespacher (sp.?) was the camera man. I also have a couple of their books. Some of their advice put me onto several bucks I got with a bow. Back-tracking bucks and reading little-noticed sign have been 2 tactics I learned from the Wensel brothers that have paid off. I'd love to take them on a walk in some of my deer territories to get further schooled ........... just watching what they look at.

+1. Their books are outstanding.

Dan Inflat tops my list. Never understood his cult-like following. His videos look like they're recorded on a 90s shoulder mounted camcorder. Editing of his videos looks like it's done by a child. Any and all the info he provides in his video is aimed at pure novices of the sport. I've tried to sit through his videos on several occasions but they're just too cringeworthy for me.

I'm not into this television hunting stuff, so I've never even heard of a lot of the people you guys are talking about. But, Fred Bear's feelings are going to be hurt if someone doesn't mention him...... šŸ˜¬

No up votes for Roger Raglin? I used to love watching his show. He's a good story teller.

I'm not into this television hunting stuff, so I've never even heard of a lot of the people you guys are talking about. But, Fred Bear's feelings are going to be hurt if someone doesn't mention him...... šŸ˜¬
As long as were going down this path.....what about Marlin Perkins.....and Jim for crying out loud! Those guys really did some amazing film back in the day.

As long as were going down this path.....what about Marlin Perkins.....and Jim for crying out loud! Those guys really did some amazing film back in the day.
If you want to see them wrestling the giant anaconda, you can find it on Youtube....hillarious.....

No up votes for Roger Raglin? I used to love watching his show. He's a good story teller.
Lol, I was just scrolling down the list thinking I should throw Roger R into the mix. Lives just down the road from me (2hrs) and I love to hear him talk. Talk about enthusiasm!

Man growing up Roger was my absolute favorite still remember when my mom would be gone my dad and I woukd run to town grab and pizza some dr pepper and rent one of his videos on vhs! Brings back some memories

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

Fred Bear was a pioneer. But dang, he'd never make it today. arrow flinging, poison pod using, unethical shot angle all day long.

The double standard cracks me up. But then again, he was doing it before it was a thing, and I'm grateful he did.

Fred Bear made excellent recurves!

And roasted venison ribs!!

Yummy!

Another one that was really good, and was the reason I took the leap from hunter to habitat manager was Chuck Sykes and The Management Advantage. When I was in college, we got the outdoor channel. I loved that show.

Bill Winke has a good weekly series back on utube about starting over with his new farm
I have been watching those. Still canā€™t get my head wrapped around how spending 20 nights sleeping at your stand sites surrounding the same buckā€™s core area doesnā€™t put a bunch of human scent in said buckā€™s daily travels. Must have extremely consistent winds and thermals there. I plan every day elk hunting out west around the thermals and donā€™t recall situations where they are so solid that they wouldnā€™t blow scent the wrong way in a situation like Winkeā€™s.

Last edited:
Another one that was really good, and was the reason I took the leap from hunter to habitat manager was Chuck Sykes and The Management Advantage. When I was in college, we got the outdoor channel. I loved that show.
For a few years the Outdoor Channel and the Sportsmans channel had a wide variety of hunting show and shooting venues.....but not so much on land management till later years. I watched a number of good shows back then and was really into long-range shooting and western hunting. I liked The Best of the West, Jim Zumbo's Show, Larry Wieshun's programs, Babe Winkleman's Outdoor Secrets, and many more. Crazy times as many of the gun writers of that time scrambled to become TV personalities too. A few were good on camera.....but almost any of them survived for a few years. I stopped allot of magazine advertising I was doing at the time and spent some money on the better outdoor shows. They all sold allot of product for me. šŸ˜‰

What was surprising to me.....is the sheer numbers of viewers from the midwest metro areas. The demographics sold the product......and the north central part of the nation was where the money was. That may not be true for the land management shows today.

Last edited: