Want to learn about deer & hunting? Steve Bartylla Shares for Free ...

Tree Spud

5 year old buck +
A lot of discussion recently about the YouTube/social media experts who are pushing habitat strategies which ultimately are just platforms for selling their products.

I have been following Steve Bartylla for years. Have talked to him and he and his brother did a plan for my property. Down to earth guys who actually focus more on deer hunting knowledge and hunting than just promoting stuff for "hits" on their site. Steve used to post a lot of good stuff here but ran out of time with all his other commitment's. I think he stopped doing land consulting several years ago and now writes for several magazines.

Here is a great article on understanding standing buck movement and seasonal shifts ... he also has several other good articles that are also free ...

Steve has been posting a nearly daily topic on deer via his Facebook page. Nearly every day he has a short read about some topic or the other. As said, he is a straight shooter and has great insight into property management and deer hunting. He is one of the best in the biz......IMO.

Steve has been posting a nearly daily topic on deer via his Facebook page. Nearly every day he has a short read about some topic or the other. As said, he is a straight shooter and has great insight into property management and deer hunting. He is one of the best in the biz......IMO.

Yes , I catch him on FB. He shares a lot of experience and keeps the marketing stuff to a minimum.

I am glad to hear positive things about SB. For a few reasons, he is one of my LEAST favorites. One, I can't stand his books. They are mostly his "stories" and lots of useless filler with very little content. I really don't care about his personal stories. Two, I found his habitat management design services via "virtual site visit" using Google Earth to be highly off-putting. You got to be pretty high on yourself to think that you can do right by a client by looking at Google Earth. Felt very scammy to me.

Maybe I'll give him another shot. He's got a FB page?

Another big fan of Steve. Straight shooter, down to earth guy.. I found a lot of info in his books and look forward to his articles in the various magazines he writes for .

I am glad to hear positive things about SB. For a few reasons, he is one of my LEAST favorites. One, I can't stand his books. They are mostly his "stories" and lots of useless filler with very little content. I really don't care about his personal stories. Two, I found his habitat management design services via "virtual site visit" using Google Earth to be highly off-putting. You got to be pretty high on yourself to think that you can do right by a client by looking at Google Earth. Felt very scammy to me.

LOL, I’m not sure if you’re serious or not but, having Steve do a plan for me I cam maybe offer my opinion on some points you brought up. He will be the first to tell you he can only get you 60-70% home with the aerial maps, He is a skilled cartographer and he also uses USGS topo maps and area maps for the design. Adjustability is built into the design for you to do as boots on the ground observations but I found he was pretty close with few adjustments needed. Second point is, he really never charged much for the service . Actually theres no way he made much money LOL. For his forum friends I think he only charged me $350 and I also got some discounts on cameras. Probably the reason he’s not doing them anymore and also his main job as a writer is his main concentration. On my personal property his plan took it from a 3 to a 9 as far as hunting improvement. So I was impressed. It took me about three years to complete the plan His attention to detail and designing around your personal goals got my attention. And frankly, if you ever have a question he’s there. The best thing is that all of the info and ideas needed to create a top notch hunting property are all right here on this forum. Contributors like Steve and Paul and others. You can’t beat the knowledge here.

I've never worked with Steve but got a "skeleton plan" done by the folks who bought his business and feel that i got way more effort and input than the $100 i paid ought to buy. Of course it's not the same as boots on the ground input but it costed 30 or more times less.

I found Steve to be very honest and up front on what his aerial evaluation was. he said his goal was to help me target mature bucks in the 140 class range. He confirmed some of my habitat efforts and pointed out a number of things to consider. We had several phone conversations and even revised the plan after talking to me with my input. Contrary to Sturgis who I was considering using years ago, he wouldn't even talk to me before his visit, asked no questions, and did not inquire about my property, just wanted his fee.

Regarding aerial review, it's a great tool as you can evaluate terrain, travel corridors, pinch points, etc. along with how surrounding properties impact. It's done here all the time btw when folks post their land and ask for input.

Here is Steve's FB page link ...

Steve Bartylla Outdoors FB page

He is a skilled cartographer and he also uses USGS topo maps and area maps for the design.
If a bit of effort is put into studying USGS topo maps, it's not hard to pick out spots to see a good amount of deer movement. I've used topo maps for decades to do just that - and it's worked pretty well for me. I'm no genius, but a good 7.5 minute topo map (if up-to-date) will show a number of places to likely see deer movement.

I have no experience with Steve Bartylla, or his sites / books. Not knocking him here either. I don't use other people's ideas to help me in the woods. Half the fun for me is reading the land, the maps, and deer sign itself to get me a shot. The deer - to me - are my best teachers.

I appreciate Steve having experience in farm and big woods country in the upper Midwest.

If your consultant doesn’t have experience in your area or your type of terrain, his advice is probably less accurate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had several conversations with Steve a few years back and found him nice and knowledgeable. He shared pics of deer he was growing on some of the properties he managed and I sent him some dvd's I had done all before he got bogged down with D&DH. My impression was that he knew what to do given manageable circumstances though we never worked together in any way. I would have enjoyed continuing the discussions with him.

I appreciate Steve having experience in farm and big woods country in the upper Midwest.

If your consultant doesn’t have experience in your area or your type of terrain, his advice is probably less accurate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I met Steve through having him prepare a plan for me right when he first started doing it. This was for 40s property in NY. I told him I was skeptical and had been to another consultants camp, read a chit ton of books and posts… but was stumped in my own head on how to start. I shared that there was concern on a Midwest approach for a NE property and for a guy w some times and even less for funds.

Long story short- he offered me a bit of a discount, a money back guarantee and the ability reach out whenever for support. Honestly his plan kicked butt and I went from a 120 Hail Mary gun kill to a Mid50s bow kill in two years. We became friends and I even had the opportunity to hang and hunt w him a few times. That guy has some brilliant stand sets; perhaps the best I’ve seen. He’s a good human too. We still swap texts on occasion.

Recommended him to some others around NY and PA and the consensus is the same. Great plan, great man and glad we did it. It’s a shame that offering if his is no more.

I’ve enjoyed his books and what content I see (though I don’t do the social BS anymore). Not sure what the one poster is talking about.

Steve is OK in my book. Down to earth, friendly and knows his stuff without the puffed up chest. I swear he's just as excited when you kill a nice buck as he is when he kills one.

I met Steve through having him prepare a plan for me right when he first started doing it. This was for 40s property in NY. I told him I was skeptical and had been to another consultants camp, read a chit ton of books and posts… but was stumped in my own head on how to start. I shared that there was concern on a Midwest approach for a NE property and for a guy w some times and even less for funds.

Long story short- he offered me a bit of a discount, a money back guarantee and the ability reach out whenever for support. Honestly his plan kicked butt and I went from a 120 Hail Mary gun kill to a Mid50s bow kill in two years. We became friends and I even had the opportunity to hang and hunt w him a few times. That guy has some brilliant stand sets; perhaps the best I’ve seen. He’s a good human too. We still swap texts on occasion.

Recommended him to some others around NY and PA and the consensus is the same. Great plan, great man and glad we did it. It’s a shame that offering if his is no more.

I’ve enjoyed his books and what content I see (though I don’t do the social BS anymore). Not sure what the one poster is talking about.
I generally do not hire consultants, as I prefer to live and learn I guess. However, I saw you like his stand set ups? That is interesting, as a guy can never have enough stands, and can always learn from others on where to hang them. I am a ladder stand and blind guy for the most part...not going to hang and hunt for age and safety sake. Any chance you could throw some notes on what he suggests, or what you have learned on stands?

LOL, I’m not sure if you’re serious or not but, having Steve do a plan for me I cam maybe offer my opinion on some points you brought up. He will be the first to tell you he can only get you 60-70% home with the aerial maps, He is a skilled cartographer and he also uses USGS topo maps and area maps for the design. Adjustability is built into the design for you to do as boots on the ground observations but I found he was pretty close with few adjustments needed. Second point is, he really never charged much for the service . Actually theres no way he made much money LOL. For his forum friends I think he only charged me $350 and I also got some discounts on cameras. Probably the reason he’s not doing them anymore and also his main job as a writer is his main concentration. On my personal property his plan took it from a 3 to a 9 as far as hunting improvement. So I was impressed. It took me about three years to complete the plan His attention to detail and designing around your personal goals got my attention. And frankly, if you ever have a question he’s there. The best thing is that all of the info and ideas needed to create a top notch hunting property are all right here on this forum. Contributors like Steve and Paul and others. You can’t beat the knowledge here.

Oh no...I was serious. That's good to hear buckly. Like I said, I am happy to hear so many guys talk positively about him. I am sure he is a good guy. He comes off as being very genuine on his TV show.

I found Steve to be very honest and up front on what his aerial evaluation was. he said his goal was to help me target mature bucks in the 140 class range. He confirmed some of my habitat efforts and pointed out a number of things to consider. We had several phone conversations and even revised the plan after talking to me with my input. Contrary to Sturgis who I was considering using years ago, he wouldn't even talk to me before his visit, asked no questions, and did not inquire about my property, just wanted his fee.

Regarding aerial review, it's a great tool as you can evaluate terrain, travel corridors, pinch points, etc. along with how surrounding properties impact. It's done here all the time btw when folks post their land and ask for input.

Here is Steve's FB page link ...

Steve Bartylla Outdoors FB page

Thanks for that link. I'll check him out. Glad to hear positive things about him. Too bad about Sturgis...though doesn't surprise me.

My favorite personality is Grant Woods. Though for the record, his book I also did not enjoy. It is way too technical for 95% of habitat managers and deer hunters.

Not sure what the one poster is talking about.

Are you talking about me? I am glad to hear that you had a good experience and enjoy his books. I'm sure he's a good guy. The useful technical info in his books, in my opinion, could have been condensed into a 10 page pamphlet. Again, I am just not into stories. When I buy a book for habitat management I really don't care to have to wade though 4 pages of "the time I got that big 12 in Iowa" every chapter.

Are you talking about me? I am glad to hear that you had a good experience and enjoy his books. I'm sure he's a good guy. The useful technical info in his books, in my opinion, could have been condensed into a 10 page pamphlet. Again, I am just not into stories. When I buy a book for habitat management I really don't care to have to wade though 4 pages of "the time I got that big 12 in Iowa" every chapter.
^. LOL. I DO understand what you are saying here about "just provide me the facts". I too like to get to the bottom line fairly quickly in many things. However.....lots of folks enjoy reading a book that sets a mood or a situation and love a good story. All too often....I also just want the cliff notes......but many like a long story woven together into a book. It may be your mind-set when you pick up that book. Grin.

Not sure which of his books, articles or contributions you’ve read but that doesn’t sound like any of them. I’m not a fan boy kind of character and also know steve well enough he’d be upset about folks arguing over his character.

Not always revolutionary approaches but the dude hunts pounded public, takes Managment mature bucks that are wise and just lack the racks his clients would want…

Didn’t mean to go fanboy or nasty toward you but I do disagree that there’s that much filler.