Want to learn about deer & hunting? Steve Bartylla Shares for Free ...

^. LOL. I DO understand what you are saying here about "just provide me the facts". I too like to get to the bottom line fairly quickly in many things. However.....lots of folks enjoy reading a book that sets a mood or a situation and love a good story. All too often....I also just want the cliff notes......but many like a long story woven together into a book. It may be your mind-set when you pick up that book. Grin.

I am a deer book nerd … the wensels, rothaar, Worthington, etc are so much more story based than SB. Steve’s habitat book is a great reference IMO and even if half is filler that’s more learning than most gray matter (starting with mine) can retain

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is not intended as a knock on Steve or any specific "pro". What I find interesting is the broad variety of approaches they all pitch as "the" approach worth paying for. Don't get me wrong. I use professional biologists and foresters in my area a lot. Whether they are from our wildlife department, USDA, department of forestry, or whatever. I like to hear a variety of opinions. The only one we pay is our private forester and that is only when he conducts and oversees a sale and is a percentage of the sale.

So, here is the real question...Which of these "pros" is right? What if I choose the wrong one? From my perspective, none of them are completely right and none completely wrong. Deer are not monolithic. There are no hard rules. There are probably a few generalizations that apply to the middle of the bell shaped curve of deer behavior. Deer in the suburbs, big woods, ag country, mountains, flat-land, north, south, east, west... all have unique behaviors. I doubt any of the "pros" has broad enough experience to give really good detailed advice unless they are from your neck of the woods and have spent most of their time working in that location.

I'm not saying we can't learn from them. I find little tidbits from most of them that may have some applicability and be worth considering. I find nothing that even begins to entice me to paying one. Once some of them start pimping advice or some product, I have no confidence in anything they say.

I have learned much more from bouncing ideas and experiences off others who are managing for deer than from any "pro". We see often on this forum how one person has a completely different experience than another. Both may be completely valid.

I don't criticize anyone paying a pro for their perspective. We all have different wallet sizes and priorities. I just can't see paying one myself. Part of the fun for me is figuring out my deer...which may be different from yours... 😊

I generally do not hire consultants, as I prefer to live and learn I guess. However, I saw you like his stand set ups? That is interesting, as a guy can never have enough stands, and can always learn from others on where to hang them. I am a ladder stand and blind guy for the most part...not going to hang and hunt for age and safety sake. Any chance you could throw some notes on what he suggests, or what you have learned on stands?

One place to start is he would build (or suggest) a plan for a tree that you can access and egress as the focal point. Build the features around that tree or blind location. Trees need to be as ideal as possible for location and concealment.

Every stand has been wind verified with thermals. Some bedding locations require later entry but are in the right spot rather than trashing the location by the classic pre dawn entry.

I’d suspect he rather skip having a set where damage will be done down wind than run the risk. Everything has a plan and place.

Another was a series of stands to which you work your way “in” hunting from the outside in and earlier to later food sources. At times even having late food sources on the outside working in then back out (if that makes sense).

He throws all sorts of hypothesis out there to see what works. Always experiments and trials before he puts stuff out there.

Big on mock scrapes and has been using scrape trees and mock limbs near stands long before YouTube was selling it.

Also takes safety (lifelines at every perm location) far more serious than most.

One place to start is he would build (or suggest) a plan for a tree that you can access and egress as the focal point. Build the features around that tree or blind location. Trees need to be as ideal as possible for location and concealment.

Every stand has been wind verified with thermals. Some bedding locations require later entry but are in the right spot rather than trashing the location by the classic pre dawn entry.

I’d suspect he rather skip having a set where damage will be done down wind than run the risk. Everything has a plan and place.

Another was a series of stands to which you work your way “in” hunting from the outside in and earlier to later food sources. At times even having late food sources on the outside working in then back out (if that makes sense).

He throws all sorts of hypothesis out there to see what works. Always experiments and trials before he puts stuff out there.

Big on mock scrapes and has been using scrape trees and mock limbs near stands long before YouTube was selling it.

Also takes safety (lifelines at every perm location) far more serious than most.

I have actually put stands up and called it Bartylla style. Easy hidden access, only hunt when the wind and thermals are on your side. Like headed to the neighbor or a void, (like a cow pasture) Steve isn't a wait until the rut to hunt guy. But he is a pick at the edges and don't stomp into the middle until the rut guy. I actually picked up more hunting strategies from his last book then anything.

I've picked up tips from a few of the big names over the years. I've said this before, if a guy is making his living on this stuff, I can learn something from him. not everything but something.

A couple thing about Steve’s books, he does get long winded about his own hunts, but I do find some of the hunts interesting.

I like the fact he doesn’t fill the books with ads, or plugs for BOB type products.

I have read one of Sturgis books, and I honestly spent more time re reading paragraphs over and over to figure out if that is exactly what he was saying. Not to knock Sturgis, but the book I bought, just doesn’t apply to my small property at all.

Not sure which of his books, articles or contributions you’ve read but that doesn’t sound like any of them. I’m not a fan boy kind of character and also know steve well enough he’d be upset about folks arguing over his character.

Not always revolutionary approaches but the dude hunts pounded public, takes Managment mature bucks that are wise and just lack the racks his clients would want…

Didn’t mean to go fanboy or nasty toward you but I do disagree that there’s that much filler.

I don't recall which books I bought....I gave them all away here on the forum for free a few years ago. It was 2 or 3. Just not impressed. I just checked out Amazon.com though since you don't think this sounds like any of his books. Based on the front covers, I do recall buying Big Buck Secrets, Bowhunting Tactics, and I am pretty sure Advanced Stand Hunting Secrets.

Everybody here is supporting him, which I said is very good to hear. Here is a quick screen shot of an excerpt from one of his chapters from Bow Hunting Tactics where he goes on for 4 or 5 pages about one of his hunts. And this was pretty much the MO for each chapter. You are a friend of his...I am sure you enjoy these kind of stories. I don't. He even admits in the chapter that it is a long story. Hard to deny that.

I never bought his Habitat Management book because when it came out in 2016 I had already read and given away the other 3 books. I just didn't want more 5 page stories. But if you are telling me that it is not full of fluff I'll give the guy another shot and I will buy it today.

Screen Shot 2022-07-19 at 6.28.46 AM.png

Last edited:
I don't recall which books I bought....I gave them all away here on the forum for free a few years ago. It was 2 or 3. Just not impressed. I just checked out Amazon.com though since you don't think this sounds like any of his books. Based on the front covers, I do recall buying Big Buck Secrets, Bowhunting Tactics, and I am pretty sure Advanced Stand Hunting Secrets.

Everybody here is supporting him, which I said is very good to hear. Here is a quick screen shot of an excerpt from one of his chapters from Bow Hunting Tactics where he goes on for 4 or 5 pages about one of his hunts. And this was pretty much the MO for each chapter. You are a friend of his...I am sure you enjoy these kind of stories. I don't. He even admits in the chapter that it is a long story. Hard to deny that.

I never bought his Habitat Management book because when it came out in 2016 I had already read and given away the other 3 books. I just didn't want more 5 page stories. But if you are telling me that it is not full of fluff I'll give the guy another shot and I will buy it today.

View attachment 44633

I find writers or nowadays promoters via the internet that just don’t seem knowledgeable or trustworthy or even worth the time to listen( or read their writings) to their works. A number of non worthwhile sources in my opinion, are mentioned in this thread.

Natty, don’t buy the book if you don’t care for his style or his information. It is all personal choice. I find some of these how to books on deer management (or you tube videos) mostly old information or having information that just doesn’t make sense from my point of view and in my habitat.

In short personal choice, much like who you like to visit with and those others that you just want to say, ‘Hi, how are you doing?’ and then move on without listening to their answer.

Some writers are story tellers and like to use personal experiences to allow others to learn what they're trying to teach. Other writers aren't story tellers. Buy books/follow who writes the way you prefer.

I like to read John Grisham books.....and like the way he weaves a story and the surprise endings he puts together. He has a unique style. I think I have read all his books. I wonder if he could be persuaded to become a deer habitat manager / consultant? Grin. 😉

I haven't EVER found a book I can actually read from cover to cover of any type of writing. Way to short of an attention span.

I haven't EVER found a book I can actually read from cover to cover of any type of writing. Way to short of an attention span.

I usually read fiction on the deer stand, especially bow hunting as I don’t intend to shoot a deer anyway. I just hang my crossbow up.

I had a plan done by Steve years ago. We had a great conversation about sound fundamentals of hunting, of which I thought I was an expert, and I learned I was not. There were some very basic things that I was missing. He also advised me to quit with the brassicas. For my situation, I could never grow enough brassicas in my area to make it to November. After October 1st, food quality plummets, and the deer have a way of coming from every direction to clear off a stand out food source.

I thought it was a great value, and he was an honest and helpful dude. What I appreciated most was that he shared the why. That changed the way I hunt, plot, place stands, access, and manage my native habitat. He never said the words directly, but I almost felt as if he was also a "if it was meant to be there, it'd be there" kind of guy.

😁

Are you talking about me? I am glad to hear that you had a good experience and enjoy his books. I'm sure he's a good guy. The useful technical info in his books, in my opinion, could have been condensed into a 10 page pamphlet. Again, I am just not into stories. When I buy a book for habitat management I really don't care to have to wade though 4 pages of "the time I got that big 12 in Iowa" every chapter.
He's very long winded. I find reading his stuff is tiresome. I'm sure there's great stuff in there but I have a hard time getting through all his thoughts/ifs/thens/whatabouts/etc.

He's very long winded. I find reading his stuff is tiresome. I'm sure there's great stuff in there but I have a hard time getting through all his thoughts/ifs/thens/whatabouts/etc.

You said more succinctly what I was trying to say.

If I want to read stories I'll pick up my well worn copy of Pat McManus's The Night The Bear Ate Goombaw.

I have actually put stands up and called it Bartylla style. Easy hidden access, only hunt when the wind and thermals are on your side. Like headed to the neighbor or a void, (like a cow pasture) Steve isn't a wait until the rut to hunt guy. But he is a pick at the edges and don't stomp into the middle until the rut guy. I actually picked up more hunting strategies from his last book then anything.

I've picked up tips from a few of the big names over the years. I've said this before, if a guy is making his living on this stuff, I can learn something from him. not everything but something.

That's it! I've read 1000's of articles and videos over the years. You can start to pretty quickly tell the one's who have a few nuggets of knowledge to offer vs. the one's who are just pimping products. If you can pick one good tip it's worth it.

Last edited:
I found Steve to be very honest and up front on what his aerial evaluation was. he said his goal was to help me target mature bucks in the 140 class range. He confirmed some of my habitat efforts and pointed out a number of things to consider. We had several phone conversations and even revised the plan after talking to me with my input. Contrary to Sturgis who I was considering using years ago, he wouldn't even talk to me before his visit, asked no questions, and did not inquire about my property, just wanted his fee.

Regarding aerial review, it's a great tool as you can evaluate terrain, travel corridors, pinch points, etc. along with how surrounding properties impact. It's done here all the time btw when folks post their land and ask for input.

Here is Steve's FB page link ...

Steve Bartylla Outdoors FB page
I think the best thing that happened to me is that Sturgis never got back to me after NUMEROUS attempts on my part with phone/text/email/website AND YouTube