Habitat Consultants - MN

Wind Gypsy

5 year old buck +
I have done some searching and found old threads but nothing particularly recent on this topic. I purchased a 40 acre parcel about a month ago and all the reading and ideas makes my head spin. I'd prefer to hire a pro to help me come up with a plan for laying out improvements, stand locations, access routes, and hunting strategy so I have less chance to mess things up with my incoherent ideas. I don't expect this spot to produce monsters due to the neighborhood (pressure and lack of age class management) but my hopes are to regularly have 3+ YO bucks using it.

I have consumed a lot of Jeff Sturgis's content. He makes things seem simple to me and I like that about how he explains things. I sent an inquiry via his website last week but haven't heard back.

Google has turned up a couple other MN (or close enough) options:
https://www.habitatprollc.com/ - I sent Joe an inquiry today. Have not previously heard of him, anyone familiar with him or his work?
https://www.kanatiwildlife.com/ - They are located very close to where I work and not far from my land which may be convenient. Seem pretty new and I haven't found much for reviews or proven results.
https://www.whitetailhabitatconsulting.com/about - Steve Bartylla's brother Joe does actual land visits and consulting which I prefer in theory to a remotely marked up topo. I know Steve is well respected here but I wasn't sure if folks felt similarly about Joe.

Don Higgins' minimum fees of $5k might be more than I'm bargaining for but Wes Delks consults through Higgins for a minimum fee of $2500 which seems more in line with the going rates.

Below is an aerial of the parcel (edit:deleted for now). Biggest opportunity for improvement IMO is the SW corner. Need to screen it from the road but i'm also kind of at a loss on how to create food plots, cover, and access routes that would allow me to hunt it without burning it with pressure. The deer use the immature timber and swampy stuff directly adjacent to it as bedding.

Any input is appreciated!

Last edited:
If I were in your shoes I'd take Wes Delks (First choice because of field visit) or potentially Bill Winke now that he's started some of that. I doubt JS is in your price point if Higgins is out at $5k. JMO..

If I were in your shoes I'd take Wes Delks (First choice because of field visit) or potentially Bill Winke now that he's started some of that. I doubt JS is in your price point if Higgins is out at $5k. JMO..

Thanks for your input. Whitetail habitat solutions website says $2450-2950/day for Jeff, $1950-2450 for "WHS team member". I have heard the odds of getting a slot on Jeff's calendar can be pretty slim.

Thanks for your input. Whitetail habitat solutions website says $2450-2950/day for Jeff, $1950-2450 for "WHS team member". I have heard the odds of getting a slot on Jeff's calendar can be pretty slim.

Gotcha. Personally not a fan of JS.. I'll just leave it at that. :emoji_slight_smile:

I would hand a stand or set up a blind in the Ne corner of the big field for starters.

Last edited:
Where are the property boundaries? I always look at topo to overlay as well. Things tend to jump out a little better this way..

Gotcha. Personally not a fan of JS.. I'll just leave it at that. :emoji_slight_smile:

x2 on Sturgis ... I thought about hiring him once. Wanted to speak with him before his visit to understand what he needed before the visit to start his evaluation. Also wanted to know what his evaluation process was so I understood what I was paying for. He was very evasive and not willing to call me before a visit. Learned over time most of his approach was taken from the old QDM site and from here.

My experience with Steve & Joe Bartylla was very good. Only did an aerial/topographic review of the property but they took the time to discuss some good plans that I had not thought of.

Personally, i would wait a year or 2 before hiring a consultant. You need to learn about your property before you can digest a consultants view. Some recommendations may be good, but some may not be appropriate. Spend more time here and learn for free also. There are some pretty experienced people here that stay away from the buck beds & doe factory non-sense.

You are on the right track with road screening, opt for spruces first as they are a long term solution. Post up pic with property boundaries and a larger view pic showing surrounding properties.

How long have you been on the property? The reason I ask is because you are going to be asked a ton of questions about the property from a habitat perspective as well as based on how the deer use the property, how you like to hunt and the like. A consultant is there to help you...but most of them are going to try to get as much info from you as possible. YOU should be the foremost expert on the piece of property. If you are not comfortable with that...then you need to take some time and learn and understand what you have. Understand what food sources you have where the cover is the deer use and WHEN they use it and all those sorts of things. I say all of this because it's easier to work WITH what you have vs trying to force some "plan". The more you understand what you have the less you have to focus on those things and can focus on the things that are lacking and thus have a greater/faster return on your efforts.

A map serves little purpose if you have no idea where you are.

I have to correct what I said above---I meant North East corner of the big field. Mondays!

Honestly, you can learn as much or more about habitat from places like this website and podcasts and YouTube as some guy like Jeff Sturgis or Bill winke or steve b can teach you. What is their educational background to do this stuff? If I were to ever pay someone to come to my land it would be a guy like Craig Harper or bronson Strickland or Steve Demaris or Marcus lashley. Not to mention after digging deep you come to realize it’s not rocket science.
Second hand, but I’ve heard from people that grant woods isn’t very impressive when he comes to your property. Two different people have said you can learn all he’s gonna say from watching his YouTube shows. Had a buddy have Steve demaris out and said it was fun having him but for the $7k they paid he said stick to the podcast.
Good luck and if you are relatively new to this it could possibly cut the leaning curve some I suppose. Just stay away from Jeff s.

Last edited:
Probably one of the most difficult things you'll ever do in terms of managing your property will be having the patience to not do a bunch of work before you really know and understand it.

I wish we had a better idea how wildlife were using our area before we started creating cover, putting in food plots and tree stands.

x2 on Sturgis ... I thought about hiring him once. Wanted to speak with him before his visit to understand what he needed before the visit to start his evaluation. Also wanted to know what his evaluation process was so I understood what I was paying for. He was very evasive and not willing to call me before a visit. Learned over time most of his approach was taken from the old QDM site and from here.

Paul Knox used to school him pretty hard on farming and food plots back when they were both on MS Forum..

I'd plant a spruce screen along the road next spring and hunt it for a year or two before doing anything or bringing in any habitat consultants. Once you learn where the deer currently bed, feed and like to travel you will be able to tell a future consultant how they currently use the land. Then you will have an idea of what what bucks are currently using your land and compare that to after the consultant is involved.

I like Jeff's videos. I purchased a web class on design, and has good info. I reached out by emailing the website 2x, calling but VM always full, texted like they tell you to do. All with no response. Reached out in the comments section of a Youtube and he gave me Diane's email. Emailed her twice with no response. Third time a charm and she said it was all going to spam. Took my info and said Dylan would be the guy that would come. Never heard anymore after that. Have sent 2 more emails to her with no response. My guess is he's making enough from Youtube or class sales that the visits aren't worth the time. If I have to work this hard to have somebody sell me something, not sure I want to buy!

I agree with everyone saying to hold off on any improvements. Take some time and watch natural movements and try to enhance your opportunities at those deer. Most of these habitat guys have youtube channels. Watch as much as you can on there and try to determine what works best for you. For the most part they all tell you the same thing.

Agree on “do nothing” the first year . I learned that over time. I mean leaving crop standing or something minor like that is fine, or small access trails.

Hunt and learn the first year, then develop a game plan.
Good luck … what part of Minnesota?

Probably one of the most difficult things you'll ever do in terms of managing your property will be having the patience to not do a bunch of work before you really know and understand it.

I wish we had a better idea how wildlife were using our area before we started creating cover, putting in food plots and tree stands.

Spot on!

Where are the property boundaries? I always look at topo to overlay as well. Things tend to jump out a little better this way..
[edit: apologies, deleting overly revealing images] It's that square that has the #1 tag in it. 1/4 mile by 1/4 mile. Here are some screen shots from Onx Topo, OnX hybrid, and the county GIS aerial with topo. The stand icons are where the previous owner left existing stands. The highly concentrated spots are where I attempted last minute throw and roll fall plots immediately after purchasing.

Last edited:
I like the plot potential there in the top right field (assuming that's NE). Prevailing westerly wind? Is that all commercial Ag? Just a preliminary thought, and after you find out where the deer are bedding and where they like to enter those fields, I think I'd leave it in commercial ag and establish some kill plots just inside the wood lines of the fields. Think about your access and where you can get in and out without spooking anything.

Looks like you have a nice variety of habitat. Don't rush it, enjoy the process.

How long have you been on the property? The reason I ask is because you are going to be asked a ton of questions about the property from a habitat perspective as well as based on how the deer use the property, how you like to hunt and the like. A consultant is there to help you...but most of them are going to try to get as much info from you as possible. YOU should be the foremost expert on the piece of property. If you are not comfortable with that...then you need to take some time and learn and understand what you have. Understand what food sources you have where the cover is the deer use and WHEN they use it and all those sorts of things. I say all of this because it's easier to work WITH what you have vs trying to force some "plan". The more you understand what you have the less you have to focus on those things and can focus on the things that are lacking and thus have a greater/faster return on your efforts.

A map serves little purpose if you have no idea where you are.

I closed on it exactly a month ago. I planned on going through this season and learning how animals use it as is but i'll probably still have a lot to learn. Really my biggest urgent desire is to get some security cover and screening in the SW field next year but I didn't want to mess things up right off the bat.

Personally, i would wait a year or 2 before hiring a consultant. You need to learn about your property before you can digest a consultants view. Some recommendations may be good, but some may not be appropriate. Spend more time here and learn for free also. There are some pretty experienced people here that stay away from the buck beds & doe factory non-sense.

You are on the right track with road screening, opt for spruces first as they are a long term solution. Post up pic with property boundaries and a larger view pic showing surrounding properties.

I had planned on doing egyptian wheat or something like this https://northwoodswhitetails.com/product/food-plot-screen/ next year but also planting spruces as a more permanent solution. Here is a zoomed out look at the area. [edit: sorry, deleted images]

Last edited: