All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Where Are the Biggest Booners Coming From Right Now?

CuivreDog

5 year old buck +
Two things really come as a small surprise. First, few expected Maryland to rank in the top 10. Delaware coming in just behind it only supports the fact that a pocket in the Northeast is prime big buck country. Secondly, select Midwestern states aren’t producing like they used to. Both of these things have been coming. But it’s still eye-opening data. Saw this on FB a few days ago but didn't have the time to post it.......have at it.......
biggrin.gif

9. Missouri

Entries (per square mile) the last five seasons: .00136

Top county for typicals: Lincoln (three)

Top county for non-typicals: Mercer (four)

This is just an all-around good state for deer hunting. It’s never been near the top. But it’s never really fell from grace, either. Call Missouri Old Faithful, if you will.

https://www.realtree.com/deer-hunting/articles/where-the-biggest-booner-bucks-are-coming-from-now

5. Iowa

Entries (per square mile) the last five seasons: .00285

Top county for typicals: Allamakee (seven)

Top county for non-typicals: Warren/Harrison (four)

Iowa is the heralded state that so many want to hunt. It’s the epitome of the deer hunting world for many bowhunters. No, it isn’t what it used to be. It’s dropped off significantly from where it was 10 to 15 years ago. Plus, it’s only cranking out half as many as Booners as Wisconsin and Kentucky on a per-square-mile basis. But it’s still Iowa.

6. Illinois

Entries (per square mile) the last five seasons: .00191

Top county for typicals: Bureau/Fulton/Marshall/Ogle (three)

Top county for non-typicals: Jo Daviess/McHenry (three)

The Land of Lincoln is No. 2 on the all-time list. But it falls to No. 6 when taking into account the size of the state and considering the most recent data. It might not rank as high as it used to, but it’s still offering pretty darn good deer hunting.

8. Kansas

Entries (per square mile) the last five seasons: .00175

Top county for typicals: Riley/Trego (three)

Top county for non-typicals: Pottawatomie (five)

You might be surprised that Kansas doesn’t rank higher on this list. I was. But I fear that within the next 10-15 years the Kansas legacy won’t be what it once was. We’ve already witnessed the continuous decline in past seasons. Only time will tell, though.

As you compare the two lists above, you’ll notice the huge differences between the all-time lists and the most recent data. You’ll also notice a huge difference between total entries vs. total entries per square mile. There’s a big difference. And things are rapidly changing across the deer hunting landscape. It looks like we’re witnessing the beginnings of a shift. We’re likely entering a new era.

It’s crazy how things have changed throughout the years. It used to be Illinois that everyone talked about. Today? Hardly a peep. Illinois deer hunting has greatly declined in the last 10 years. It’s No. 2 on the all-time list. It falls to No. 5 on the top states since 2010. Dial it in to the recent data even more by just looking at the last five seasons and it drops to No. 6. There are still some big deer to be tagged there, but nothing like it once was.

Other states have really come a long way in recent years. Indiana is one such state. It’s produced 133 total entries and .00371 entries per square mile to jump up to No. 4 in the last five seasons. That’s pretty significant. And when you have states like Kentucky, Ohio, Indiana, West Virginia and Maryland ranking in the top 15, and states like Oklahoma, Nebraska and Texas ranking outside of the top 15, there’s certainly a shift beginning to happen.

Two things really come as a small surprise. First, few expected Maryland to rank in the top 10. Delaware coming in just behind it only supports the fact that a pocket in the Northeast is prime big buck country. Secondly, select Midwestern states aren’t producing like they used to. Both of these things have been coming. But it’s still eye-opening data.

Well I can tell you my property isn't keeping Wisconsin in the top 10 :emoji_confused:

I think a lot of the changes have to do with how much someone wants to brag about their trophy. I think states that were in the top few, has learned that entering these large deer do nothing other then bring in many people, and increase property taxes. I have no want to have my name in a book for antler size, just to get more strangers wanting to hunt the area, poachers looking for a big rack, then property taxes going way up. No thanks! I am not saying I have passed up the opportunity in the past, but I am sure I had a couple close ones, that I know a lot of people would have had measured professionally. I am saying if I do get a monster, not too many people would know it, other then a few close friends, and it certainly wouldnt be in a book. I am sure I am not alone.

I know a bunch of people that have taken trophy deer and very few of them ever get mentioned. There was a big buck shot off our place a number of years ago and my cousin declined to enter it or talk to the guy that wanted to write an article about.

Two things really come as a small surprise. First, few expected Maryland to rank in the top 10. Delaware coming in just behind it only supports the fact that a pocket in the Northeast is prime big buck country. Secondly, select Midwestern states aren’t producing like they used to. Both of these things have been coming. But it’s still eye-opening data. Saw this on FB a few days ago but didn't have the time to post it.......have at it.......
biggrin.gif

9. Missouri

Entries (per square mile) the last five seasons: .00136

Top county for typicals: Lincoln (three)

Top county for non-typicals: Mercer (four)

This is just an all-around good state for deer hunting. It’s never been near the top. But it’s never really fell from grace, either. Call Missouri Old Faithful, if you will.

https://www.realtree.com/deer-hunting/articles/where-the-biggest-booner-bucks-are-coming-from-now

5. Iowa

Entries (per square mile) the last five seasons: .00285

Top county for typicals: Allamakee (seven)

Top county for non-typicals: Warren/Harrison (four)

Iowa is the heralded state that so many want to hunt. It’s the epitome of the deer hunting world for many bowhunters. No, it isn’t what it used to be. It’s dropped off significantly from where it was 10 to 15 years ago. Plus, it’s only cranking out half as many as Booners as Wisconsin and Kentucky on a per-square-mile basis. But it’s still Iowa.

6. Illinois

Entries (per square mile) the last five seasons: .00191

Top county for typicals: Bureau/Fulton/Marshall/Ogle (three)

Top county for non-typicals: Jo Daviess/McHenry (three)

The Land of Lincoln is No. 2 on the all-time list. But it falls to No. 6 when taking into account the size of the state and considering the most recent data. It might not rank as high as it used to, but it’s still offering pretty darn good deer hunting.

8. Kansas

Entries (per square mile) the last five seasons: .00175

Top county for typicals: Riley/Trego (three)

Top county for non-typicals: Pottawatomie (five)

You might be surprised that Kansas doesn’t rank higher on this list. I was. But I fear that within the next 10-15 years the Kansas legacy won’t be what it once was. We’ve already witnessed the continuous decline in past seasons. Only time will tell, though.

As you compare the two lists above, you’ll notice the huge differences between the all-time lists and the most recent data. You’ll also notice a huge difference between total entries vs. total entries per square mile. There’s a big difference. And things are rapidly changing across the deer hunting landscape. It looks like we’re witnessing the beginnings of a shift. We’re likely entering a new era.

It’s crazy how things have changed throughout the years. It used to be Illinois that everyone talked about. Today? Hardly a peep. Illinois deer hunting has greatly declined in the last 10 years. It’s No. 2 on the all-time list. It falls to No. 5 on the top states since 2010. Dial it in to the recent data even more by just looking at the last five seasons and it drops to No. 6. There are still some big deer to be tagged there, but nothing like it once was.

Other states have really come a long way in recent years. Indiana is one such state. It’s produced 133 total entries and .00371 entries per square mile to jump up to No. 4 in the last five seasons. That’s pretty significant. And when you have states like Kentucky, Ohio, Indiana, West Virginia and Maryland ranking in the top 15, and states like Oklahoma, Nebraska and Texas ranking outside of the top 15, there’s certainly a shift beginning to happen.

Two things really come as a small surprise. First, few expected Maryland to rank in the top 10. Delaware coming in just behind it only supports the fact that a pocket in the Northeast is prime big buck country. Secondly, select Midwestern states aren’t producing like they used to. Both of these things have been coming. But it’s still eye-opening data.

Unfortunately all your stats are designed to promote tourism ... If you want odds at a booner outside of Canada ... historical averages strongly favor IA, IL, MO, KS, & WI any way you look at it. WI led the P&Y field for 10 years with earn-a-buck.

Good luck ... no one I know has ever focused on the eastern shoreline for anything other than waterfowl ... :)

What a bunch of crap, there are no big deer left in WI! Nobody should ever come here to hunt.

Peter

I'd guess the largest amount of B&C class bucks are being eon game farms LOL
after that its on WELL maintained private lands, where W+QUALITY QDM has been in effect a while, and that can be in any state or providence!
its way too hard to track Honest naturally wild B&C deer anymore, due to SO many places , the cards have been sort of stacked , by folks with both deep pockets/wallets

and as others said, NOT all that shoot one want the spot light of doing so!

IMO< naturally wild B&C bucks will always come from the HIGH Ag area's, where better food is, and the larger the tracts of land and lower hunting pressure is, the better there able to age to get there
Own enough land, and you can about grow them any where to be honest!
just look at the states that used to kill mostly ALL young deer, and as of last 10+ yrs started changing the mind sets, and so many again doing QDM on there lands, B&C's are showing up all over!

It is a common knowledge that many B&C bucks that are killed are never recorded in the actual record books as many folks don't want the limelight, are afraid of internet scouters, worry about trespassers sneaking onto their land, etc. but I can see no reason why the unreported percentage would be any higher in any one state versus another unless I'm overlooking some unknown variable.

By focusing on the RECENT record entries as shown by the author of this study it seems pretty obvious to me that the patterns over the last 5 years are changing. If you focus on ALL TIME records the traditional states still hold on to their lead but recent entries show a changing pattern that is undeniable if the facts as presented are accurate.

It is a common knowledge that many B&C bucks that are killed are never recorded in the actual record books as many folks don't want the limelight, are afraid of internet scouters, worry about trespassers sneaking onto their land, etc. but I can see no reason why the unreported percentage would be any higher in any one state versus another unless I'm overlooking some unknown variable.

By focusing on the RECENT record entries as shown by the author of this study it seems pretty obvious to me that the patterns over the last 5 years are changing. If you focus on ALL TIME records the traditional states still hold on to their lead but recent entries show a changing pattern that is undeniable if the facts as presented are accurate.

I see many reasons why the numbers are skewed. States that have the attention now, and have had the attention for many years, have learned their lessons. They have seen the destruction of what trophy chasers can do, and dont want the attention anymore. Look at some of the top spots, land prices went from ~$1000 per acre, to upwards of $15,000 per acre in just a few years. County taxes sure love that! Local farmers, and land owners that have no intention of selling their land sure arent in love with the tax increases that are tenfold in 5 years time. They want nothing to do with anymore attention. I had some relatives that were forced to sell their family farm because of the taxes. Ones that have never hunted, but couldnt afford to pay anymore.

Then you have the wantabee states that want to claim the top spots, that have not witnessed the devastation of the media, they are out to report any qualifying deer possible to claim a top spot in the rankings.

I wish all the TV heros would quit coming to my state and talking it up and every time NAW magazine runs a big buck from here I cringe. Our state land hunting is over run with hunters and leasing is through the roof.
I agree with lots of hunters not entering bucks in the record books any more, most guys I know don't even get deer scored any more.

Are the statistics used based on total acres within a state? That can really mess up the equation. My home state of MN has a lot of wooded acres in the northern part of the state, which used to produce "book" bucks but does not anymore, because the DNR basically screwed up our hunting.

I also hunt Iowa, and I would bet significant dollars that certain counties in Iowa, have more "book" bucks than Wisconsin, even in the top counties. Maybe not registered, but they have more living breathing bucks per acre of habitat.

There are guys that I know in Iowa, shoot multiple book bucks in Iowa, and never register them. A 125 inch bucks gets a pass down there. Not saying they do not pass them in Buffalo County Wisconsin either, but overall it is very hard to compare states based on registered bucks.

Are the statistics used based on total acres within a state? That can really mess up the equation. My home state of MN has a lot of wooded acres in the northern part of the state, which used to produce "book" bucks but does not anymore, because the DNR basically screwed up our hunting.

I also hunt Iowa, and I would bet significant dollars that certain counties in Iowa, have more "book" bucks than Wisconsin, even in the top counties. Maybe not registered, but they have more living breathing bucks per acre of habitat.

There are guys that I know in Iowa, shoot multiple book bucks in Iowa, and never register them. A 125 inch bucks gets a pass down there. Not saying they do not pass them in Buffalo County Wisconsin either, but overall it is very hard to compare states based on registered bucks.

I agree with what you're saying. It's very hard to determine the "best" big buck state with an apples to apples comparison.

Would Iowa be "Iowa" if their NR tag structure was the same as WI? Over the counter tags for $160? 600,000 rifle hunters?

Iowa would be a good state regardless but the Iowa DNR controls one of the biggest variables in the equation.

Don't take this the wrong way as the tag situation is definitely working for Iowa and I don't blame them at all. More power to them! Heck, many, many hunters here would love to see what WI would produce if we set up our tags like Iowa.

Two things make great deer areas.

1. Places where the game agencies see deer as a natural resource and not a liability to be aggressively reduced.
2. Places where hunters have a stake in the future of their local herd.

If you don't have those two, none of the rest matters.