Weak sunflowers

Bill Loser

5 year old buck +
So i planted a bunch of sunflowers in spring. They were doing great....until tjey started getting to about 8 feet tall. Then the stems started getting , weak or rubbery . Now the taller ones have started falling over. Im not sure what is happening here. All i can think is im low on nitrogen? The feild was all corn last year........ discuss!

I don't think it's low on N if you are putting on flowers. Too much N and you get a deep green color but few if any flowers. With weak stems I would be more concerned about P levels (soil test?). Spacing also has a lot to do with plants stretching and getting weak stems. Personally, with great spacing and proper N/P/K levels my sunflowers sometimes still "bow" due to heavy seed heads; not a bad issue in my book.

Soil test/spacing/yield - May be one, two or all three.

never did a soil test. Figured its sunflowers, they grow anywhere...... who knew. I don't think its the heads, the stems feel rubbery and soft, no strength there. but the smaller ones seem fine.

Did you fertilize them at all? Corn and sunflowers both require a lot of N.

There are some disease and pest issues sunflowers can get. I have some info on it somewhere around here, not sure if I can find it.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Could be Sunflower Stem Weevil.
They migrate into the stem in July and August and weaken the stem.
I found that info I was looking for. I'll try to figure out how to attach it. Give me a few minutes.

I never tried to attach a (non photo) file to a post. My 1st try. Weevil info on page 14.

Attachments

• Sunflower production handbook.pdf
    1.1 MB · Views: 6
Nice, thanks guys! I was thinking n also mostly because the feild was corn last year and ..... im almost embarassed to say it but i planted right alongside sweet corn imdian corn amd popping corn.oops!
I am pretty sure that's the problem. I was planning on fertilizing after planting but never got arpund to it.
Tap , thanks that will be very helpfull!

Could be.

Where did you get your seed? How did you plant the seed? Crops like corn and sunflowers need a lot of potassium to build strong stalks that will go a long way to mitigating the damage.

Last edited:
No point in trying to fertilize them this late.
Did you check the stalks for weevils? Seems to me, that would be the easiest 1st thing to check. If you can't find evidence of pests, THEN consider fertilizer.

No point in trying to fertilize them this late.
Did you check the stalks for weevils? Seems to me, that would be the easiest 1st thing to check. If you can't find evidence of pests, THEN consider fertilizer.

I didn't even suggest adding fertilizer to cure the problem. I merely asked a bunch of question that might provide additional diagnostic information. And as you said about fertilizer, the same thing could be said about checking for weevils. There's nothing to be done about it now, nor maybe ever. The solution....for next time....is to grow a healthy plant. Use seeds packaged for growing sunflowers. Get the spacing right. Make sure the nutrient levels are good.

And your correct, I should have written, "Crops like corn and sunflowers need a lot of potassium to build strong stalks, and that will go a long way in mitigating weevil damage the next time."

Yes i know i should have done alot more with my fields this year. I got e everything in late because life happened and once it was all done who new it....but more life happened! Lol. I didnt get half of what i wanted to do out there this year. Now im just stuck trying to make tje most out of what i got.
Next year will be better. 30 chickens will produce plenty of grow juice for the crops !

I didn't even suggest adding fertilizer to cure the problem. I merely asked a bunch of question that might provide additional diagnostic information. And as you said about fertilizer, the same thing could be said about checking for weevils. There's nothing to be done about it now, nor maybe ever. The solution....for next time....is to grow a healthy plant. Use seeds packaged for growing sunflowers. Get the spacing right. Make sure the nutrient levels are good.

And your correct, I should have written, "Crops like corn and sunflowers need a lot of potassium to build strong stalks, and that will go a long way in mitigating weevil damage the next time."

I wasn't implying that you said to fertilize now. But I could understand if the OP would assume that's what was being suggested in some of the posts.
Sometimes we word our posts that can be confusing to not only other posters, but also to lurkers that read but never post. I try to word my posts as if everyone reading is brand new to all of this stuff, but I don't always write my posts in a way that reflects what's on my mind. And sometimes I need to reread other's posts before I fully grasp what they are trying to say. Add to that, the stupid spell-check on our devices and it's really easy to see why there can be confusion on threads.

Back to the OP's issue. I personally haven't had any problems with weevils so I have not really studied them...where they come from, their life cycle, how to combat them, etc, so this is just a thought...If he does have weevils, is there anything that he should be doing right now, this year, to mitigate the problem for next year. Are they a pest that best needs nipped in the bud and if so, what would be that plan of attack? Maybe heavy dose of potassium or some other micro nutrient. Maybe a mechanical approach like a thorough mowing and actually tilling or discing asap. Could be a pesticide needs applied well before the weevil (if weevils are indeed his problem) advances into dormancy or whatever.
I admit that I don't know the answers to any of those questions, but I am positive that the OP needs to read the link that I attached, then get out into his plot and closely examine his sunflowers.
It's pretty hard to cure a problem until you know what's causing it. Checking stalks for pests is free, immediate, and could help him decide what he needs to do next.