Year round plots

SC,
When your Durana dies back a little towards the end of summer, does it come back with the cooler weather and rains of fall? Mine does. Sometimes, there will be little more than dirt there around august but by late September if we have had rain and cooler temps that stuff comes back. A very resilient clover.
Mine comes back, but usually not soon enough in fall to hunt over. Just now really starting to make an appearance. It was hot and dry late summer early fall

From July to September, my durana goes dormant. Almost looks non-existent and I questioned if it would come back this year, due to my soil being very sandy with a 5.5 ph (give or take). This plot was planted in Fall 2019. This picture was taken the middle of November of this year and is very lush. When the highs start dropping to 75 or below, the durana will start making an appearance again. For my area, that is around mid to late October.
IMG_1310.jpg

Is Durana more of a southern clover - or will it perform well in northern states - say in clayish-loam soil???

Is Durana more of a southern clover - or will it perform well in northern states - say in clayish-loam soil???

Durana was supposedly developed for the south, while Alice was more so for the north.. Both improved Ladino varieties if I’m not mistaken.

Patriot is another ladino cultivar developed for the deep south:

Patriot Clover Seed thrives from Eastern Texas and Oklahoma across the South to the Atlantic coast and north along a line from Macon, GA to Dallas, TX.

Last edited:
From July to September, my durana goes dormant. Almost looks non-existent and I questioned if it would come back this year, due to my soil being very sandy with a 5.5 ph (give or take). This plot was planted in Fall 2019. This picture was taken the middle of November of this year and is very lush. When the highs start dropping to 75 or below, the durana will start making an appearance again. For my area, that is around mid to late October.
View attachment 38935

Chicory mixed in? If not, why not?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Alice white
We have some Alice and Kopu II mixed at camp - about 3/4 acre of it. We have "regular" Ladino too - not the jumbo stuff.

Chicory mixed in? If not, why not?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
In 2019 I just went with durana and WW. It did great, but in some spots, weeds took over and smothered out the durana. I didnt maintain the plot like I should had and learned my lesson. This year in the bare spots, I planted chicory and aberlasting clover. I have read good things about aberlasting on here and did some research on it. Figured I'd see how the aberlasting did compared to the durana. So far the chicory has done well and deer and turkey are hammering it. It is actually playing the role of a nurse crop for the aberlasting to establish a root system. I will definitely be mowing the plot more this year. It is just hard on timing with droughts we have down here. I feel it is probably doing more harm than good mowing with no rain in the 7 day forecast.

Since BrushyPines mentioned Aberlasting clover ...... Does anyone else on here have experience with Aberlasting?? Interested to hear about it.

Since BrushyPines mentioned Aberlasting clover ...... Does anyone else on here have experience with Aberlasting?? Interested to hear about it.
I've used it, but always in a mix (usually with balansa or MRC) it works really well and stays green for a while...someday I would like to grow it alone to see if the rumors of it being a kind of super clover are true...

I've used it, but always in a mix (usually with balansa or MRC) it works really well and stays green for a while...someday I would like to grow it alone to see if the rumors of it being a kind of super clover are true...

.....must it be so aberlasting expensive?

bill