Triclopyr 4 for basal spraying

BenAllgood

5 year old buck +
I have to basal spray about 1600 trees next month with triclopyr 4/basal oil/blue dye. Where is the best place you've found to buy it?
This place seems to have a pretty good deal if you factor in the free shipping.

I have to basal spray about 1600 trees next month with triclopyr 4/basal oil/blue dye. Where is the best place you've found to buy it?
What would be your mix in a backpack sprayer?

The 2.5 gallon jug makes about 12 gallons of spray at the 20% concentration. Using basal oil with blue dye as the carrier.

What I'll probably do is put a .5 gallon of triclopyr 4 and 1.5 gallons of carrier in a 4 gallon backpack sprayer. That way, I'm not packing 4 gallons at one time.

The above combo used as basal spray will schmoke Sweetgum in a most enjoyable way

bill

FWIW , I use Remedy 25%,Diesel 75% in a 4 gallon backpack sprayer

Im curious if blue dye would mix with diesel ?

bill
Thanks. Yeah, I may go with the 25% solution instead of 20%. It does make the math easier. 1 gallon of triclopyr to 3 gallons of diesel is a little easier to compute in a 4 gallon sprayer. I'm pretty sure the dye needs to be oil soluble instead of water soluble. Trouble finding the dye without the basal oil added. The basal oil with dye already added is expensive but easier. I'd rather save some money and use diesel though. I don't trust myself to spray without dye though. I did find this dye that's oil soluble.

I'm pretty sure that is where I found to be the best price on it last year when i bought 10 gallons for my war on buckthorn.

I have been doing a triclopyr, diesel, blue dye combo for basal spraying and cut stump treatment and the dye has mixed fine. Not sure on dye brand, whatever they had on hand at runnings.

I know diesel trashes the little pump hand sprayers when i leave that mix in them so i'd look into possible adverse effects if you have a nice backpack sprayer. Maybe it's not bad if you flush things out quick after but figured i'd mention it.

Ben ... it's your choice; however, you do know most experts suggest not spraying or hack/squirt in early spring when sap is heavily flowing. Better kill if you wait until June 15 or later. Maybe april is the only time it works for you or your trees are in the south. Best of luck

Keystonepestsolutions.com is where I've been buying my chemical from. Very helpful over the phone and competitively priced on everything.

I also basal bark with diesel, it's a little harder on equipment but bark oil cost is outrageous. Just clean pump after use and it'll last for plenty of applications.

Ben ... it's your choice; however, you do know most experts suggest not spraying or hack/squirt in early spring when sap is heavily flowing. Better kill if you wait until June 15 or later. Maybe april is the only time it works for you or your trees are in the south. Best of luck
Yeah, ideally, I would have done the hack and squirt technique late summer/early fall, but some issues with my EQIP contract came up and I need to have it completed by May. I'm pretty much left with basal bark treatment now because of that. And, I'll have to do cut stump on some of the larger trees. Here's what Dr. Craig Harper says about basal bark applications in his publication on Forest Stand Improvement found here: https://extension.tennessee.edu/publications/Documents/PB1885.pdf

1679484965391.png

I’ve been using .5 gallon of the keystone pest solutions triclopyr mixed with 3.5 gallons of diesel in a 4 gallon backpack sprayer.

Everything I have basal bark sprayed with that mixture has been smoked dead. I wouldn’t mix it any stronger than that.

Also, red Rit clothing dye (cheap at Walmart) mixed in with the above mix (I use red dyed off road diesel) is a cheap and easy dye as well. Doesn’t last forever but plenty visible for a few days.

Basal spray can be done any time of the year.

Personally I don't like basal spraying as there is good chance of over spray that will get into the ground. Triproclyr in the ground if it reaches the roots of desirable trees/shrubs will kill them so you need to bevery careful when spraying. I use a dish soap bottle on larger trees to drip on base of tree.

The above combo used as basal spray will schmoke Sweetgum in a most enjoyable way

bill
Never mind. I see my answer now.

Personally I don't like basal spraying as there is good chance of over spray that will get into the ground. Triproclyr in the ground if it reaches the roots of desirable trees/shrubs will kill them so you need to bevery careful when spraying. I use a dish soap bottle on larger trees to drip on base of tree.

This is scary as I've basically carpeted 5 acres of forestry mulched and stump sprouting buckthorn with triclopyr in my yard (foliar spraying). I had figured it would be fine if I didn't hit the desirable trees above ground but now i've got to look into this more..

I found this formula for an easy way to calculate how much Triclopyr 4 you need to put in your tank. The remaining volume would be the diesel or basal oil.

Source: https://www.aces.edu/blog/topics/fo...plants-in-pastures-natural-areas-and-forests/

Fluid ounces of Triclopyr 4 to add to the tank = 1.3 x desired gallons of spray mix x desired herbicide percentage. For example, if you wanted to mix 2 gallons of a 20 percent solution of herbicide, then 1.3 x 2 x 20 = 52. This means 52 fluid ounces of herbicide is needed to add to the 2-gallon total volume.

We use these sprayers at work and I’ve used them for basal spraying using diesel as the carrier. They do last longer than cheap hardware store sprayers I’d be pretty reluctant to use diesel in my backpack sprayer after seeing how long the cheap sprayers last.