Triclopyr 4 for basal spraying

My trees are leaving out now. I’ll take some pics soon of stands I’ve basal sprayed and show the dying trees next to the healthy ones. I can see it now but won’t be as nice in pictures until the healthy trees leave out a bit more

Sorry to keep spamming.

I think the way basal spraying works is it kind of chemically girdles the tree to kill it. I’m sure some is taken into roots, but it more cuts the crown off from the roots. Why it’s important to spray all the way around at least a foot high. Smaller trees will die with spraying one side, but larger trees if you spray one side that side will die and other will live.

Aminopyralid and arsenal kill at the root. Why I add some milestone (1oz or less) to basal spray mixes.

That article speaks of milestone too. It’s a great chemical if used properly. Allows native grasses to live while killing the crap.

I would not use any arsenal. Had a LOT of leave trees killed on a commercial hack n squirt using arsenal

Craig Harper says he has never had a casualty in all his time doing it unless the trees had a shared root system.

Triclopyr is not soil active in the way arsenal is. It is approved for ground spraying under trees of all types.

That has not been my experience. Lost a number of trees when using triclopyr (Garlon 4) on invasive shrubs near the trees.

That has not been my experience. Lost a number of trees when using triclopyr (Garlon 4) on invasive shrubs near the trees.
How exactly was it applied? You mentioned the word “spray.” Not sure that’s the best basal application method. Not trying to prove you wrong or anything. I’m genuinely curious because I have a black locust patch I’ve been scoping a treatment on. And a Garlon basal treatment seems to be the best option.

Last edited:
How exactly was it applied? You mentioned the word “spray.” Not sure that’s the best basal application method. Not trying to prove you wrong or anything. I’m genuinely curious because I have a black locust patch I’ve been scoping a treatment on. And a Garlon basal treatment seems to be the best option.
Agree, was this a foliage spray on these bushes? Almost zero chance of low volume basal spray of triclopyr killing a surrounding tree. Would be something to write up for the journals.

If foliar spray then yes. Much more chance of collateral damage.

Triclopyr is listed as a zero soil residual herbicide.

This is a bit misleading because can affect germination if planted seeds. But it is listed, reported, and verified as having zero soil residual on root uptake.

Tree spud. No doubt you’re a stud with trees.

Has to be some user error here. Stuff I posted is academic papers on the use of these products

I use a dish soap bottle with 3:1 diesel to Garlon4. I then dribble on the main stems or around the base of the tree about 12" up.

Tree spud. No doubt you’re a stud with trees.

Has to be some user error here. Stuff I posted is academic papers on the use of these products

Not arguing with you, as you seem to be knowledgeable, just sharing my experience.

I use a dish soap bottle with 3:1 diesel to Garlon4. I then dribble on the main stems or around the base of the tree about 12" up.

Not arguing with you, as you seem to be knowledgeable, just sharing my experience.
Thanks for sharing. Def good info to have out there.

Thanks for sharing. Def good info to have out there.
Yes - thanks for the info. We use triclopyr at camp. Always open for more info!!

I think any herbicide you use you need to be careful of drift whether it be wind or ground.

I found the Triclopyr 4 on Amazon for $166 in a 2.5 gal jug which is the cheapest I can find it.
I'm still hesitant on the dye. I put this one in my cart, but worried about it not mixing with diesel.
All perfect. Zero to worry about.

All perfect. Zero to worry about.

I grabbed a bottle of water soluble blue dye off the shelf at Tractor Supply and it worked very well mixed with Remedy and diesel

bill

I use triclophyr a lot for black locust and Autumn Olive. It generally does a good job, particularly in summer and late Fall. It's been a bit less effective for me in Spring (but perhaps its just me). I'm hesitant to use around water or in potential runoff situations. I know I've read it's toxic to fish and remains in water much longer than glyphosate, for example.

Is triclopyr approved for use around waterways

I use triclophyr a lot for black locust and Autumn Olive. It generally does a good job, particularly in summer and late Fall. It's been a bit less effective for me in Spring (but perhaps its just me). I'm hesitant to use around water or in potential runoff situations. I know I've read it's toxic to fish and remains in water much longer than glyphosate, for example.
Are you basal bark spraying locust? What’s your recipe?