I roll then spray mine. I have pretty good germination for 6 days.

Attachments

• farfoodplot6daysin.jpg
    farfoodplot6daysin.jpg
    126.6 KB · Views: 49
  • foodplot6daysin.jpg
    foodplot6daysin.jpg
    167.5 KB · Views: 49
I’ve got 8 acres I’m working on improving in Wisconsin. My rye came up real good from last year, I had done about 60 lbs/ac. I put brassicas down on July 9th, knocked it down, then sprayed it. We’ll see what happens!
View attachment 35776
View attachment 35777
View attachment 35778
View attachment 35779
Swiffy, I used a drag exactly like yours for years. Found it in an old barn. Unfortunately, I let a guy pick up some scrap metal after a pole barn project and he loaded the drag on the trailer too.

End of May. I plan on mowing or rolling the milo after I broadcast my fall blend.
If you have the ability to roll it, roll it. You leave more seeds on the head where deer can eat them. If you mow, you’ll feed the birds.

Well I was out in Wisconsin and check on my brassica patch. It was doing really well! I think my thatch was really almost too thick but I had a lot of food coming along considering the minimal effort put in. I also seeded rye yesterday.

B890F6EC-481B-4EBE-9B62-E8251C4ADCA6.jpeg
87FACECF-D93A-4C1A-90BD-DF0B11ED2799.jpeg
Threw a blind up while we were at it. Gonna be perfect for the youth season! Hoping my daughters can put down some nice deer over the next few years.
1DB5000A-E770-4152-BD83-91752B3C1570.jpeg

How many lbs per ac did you spread of brassicas, Swiffy? My thatch this year on a bunch of plots looks like yours, and I'm guessing I'll wish I would've gone a little heavier. Always afraid of going too heavy, but probably will need to thicken them with something.

Here ‘s my other throw and drag plot after 3 weeks.

7b6c61d06b1947518c46d6eda9ff02f5.jpg

361b07130aa1dd5ac1459d66481125f6.jpg

How many lbs per ac did you spread of brassicas, Swiffy? My thatch this year on a bunch of plots looks like yours, and I'm guessing I'll wish I would've gone a little heavier. Always afraid of going too heavy, but probably will need to thicken them with something.
Hey Mort, I usually just guess based on the size of the spot and I just gauge by how much seed is in my spreader (rather than actually measuring pounds). I did about 6-7 pounds total if I had to guess. I had mostly Groundhog Radish but also PTT and Rape. I also have gone too heavy many times before and thats never good. Now I try to typically use less seed with the brassicas with the idea that I will always fill in later with Cereal Rye. Seems to work good. Im sure when these canopy a little more its going to look A LOT more filled in.

What I have done the past few years is stagger my brassica plantings.

Example for planting 1 acre.

July 25 broadcast 1 pound

August 1 broadcast 1 pound

August 7 broadcast 1 pound

August 14 1 last pound

The idea is right but the weather didn’t work last year. This year has been better but still not great.

In an average year I think it would work well so I’m going to keep trying it for a few more years before abandoning the idea.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I stagger my plantings but they are all separate plots. Planted two 7/23, one 7/27, another 8/7, 8/14, and 8/20. First two dates were brassicas, third was perennial clover, last two cereals. I’ve lucked out with timely rain and all are doing great so far.

I have a spent white clover plot, probably 6 or 7 years old. Still has a small amount of clover, but filled in with plenty of grasses and weeds. I mowed it for the 2nd and final time last week and intended to just leave it as is. Then we finally got our 1st inch of rain in several weeks and it inspired me to spray it off and throw some new seed down. Then of course the next rains all fell apart. I walked into my backyard this morning and the dew was extremely drenching wet, everything soaked right down to the soil. I'm guessing I'll get some stuff to germinate just with this dew. I grabbed a little of everything I had in the basement; radish, PTT, DER, medium red, alice white, jumbo ladino, oasis chicory, and will also add some rye and oats in a week or 2. Should be interesting. Just hoping I got a decent kill.

Started another TnM plot yesterday. Figured I'd take advantage of the rain Ida brings.

IMG_1219.jpg

Took yall's advice on planting brassicas first then coming back in a few weeks and overseeding with WR. Lucked up and found some WR this year.

IMG_1222.jpg

Hoping this turns out good! The thatch laid down better than I thought it would! We've had light rain since 7 this morning, bulk of the rain will be here this evening.

You wouldn't have done any better by tilling the soil first! Looking good!

This is my tilled area. :)

Same brassica mix with oat/pea mix from the coop instead of BFO’s. I don’t think the BFO’s came up great in that other pic because I didn’t drag it or anything. Just spray and throw.

74dd406c368790d6eb57b8b16fa91d43.jpg

This is the other throw and pray. This one got dragged at least.

f85488b287a3aae6fa7f9c2aeffd71fd.jpg

I bet by the end of the month you won’t be able to tell the difference. Doesn’t look like much of a difference to me now.

I did a TNM brassica into standing oats. All I have now is millions of fresh oat shoots with no radish growing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I let rye grain go to maturity in a few plots this year. Then I mowed it down. I sprayed the 1st two flushes of it, but then it was time to seed brassica plots. The 3rd wave has been growing since 2nd week of August. Guessing volunteer rye is 6" high on average. Do you guys think it'll get too big this fall to have any degree of attractiveness? I'd like to just leave it, rather than kill it again just to go out the next day and spread on some more rye.

Here's my biggest throw n grow plot. Pics should show the volunteer cereal rye that I mentioned a few posts back. I think I maybe got a 10-15% stand of brassicas on my first spread which only got a couple tenths on it. 2 weeks after that I put another healthy shot of seed down and got over an inch and a half. Hoping we have a balmy Sept and first half of Oct. I left a few patches of clover where it was thick.

20210904_125838_resized.jpg
20210904_131243_resized.jpg