Started another TnM plot yesterday. Figured I'd take advantage of the rain Ida brings.

View attachment 36686

Took yall's advice on planting brassicas first then coming back in a few weeks and overseeding with WR. Lucked up and found some WR this year.

View attachment 36687

Hoping this turns out good! The thatch laid down better than I thought it would! We've had light rain since 7 this morning, bulk of the rain will be here this evening.
Was that crimped or rolled?

Clover/chicory/oats throw and pray plot. It's looking pretty good. Got the seed mix from Domain Outdoors - hot chic. Seems to be a lot of chicory in it. I tried chicory once before and the deer seemed to love it. I just filled in the bare spots with some rye and wheat.

food plot.jpg

Clover/chicory/oats throw and pray plot. It's looking pretty good. Got the seed mix from Domain Outdoors - hot chic. Seems to be a lot of chicory in it. I tried chicory once before and the deer seemed to love it. I just filled in the bare spots with some rye and wheat.
I'm a big fan of chicory. My perennial blend this year was 40% chicory.

Does it seem to work good to plant/overseed chicory in the fall now like you would clover? Or better to wait till spring? I have a bunch of chicory seed but don't have a lot of experience with it...

Does it seem to work good to plant/overseed chicory in the fall now like you would clover? Or better to wait till spring? I have a bunch of chicory seed but don't have a lot of experience with it...
Not sure of your location SWIFFY but here in the south it works much better in the fall due to less weed competition.

Logger's finally pulled out at our family friends property. I ran out and threw down some of my leftover grain seed. Rain and warm weather in the forecast. I think it should get a little growth. Found a couple of nice open areas. Hopefully it'll at least get a head start on next year. Excited for this property. There are a lot of nice bucks in this area but they never stick around because of how open it's always been. I've already seen improvement just with the tops being on the ground.
Tim's food plot.jpg

Logger's finally pulled out at our family friends property. I ran out and threw down some of my leftover grain seed. Rain and warm weather in the forecast. I think it should get a little growth. Found a couple of nice open areas. Hopefully it'll at least get a head start on next year. Excited for this property. There are a lot of nice bucks in this area but they never stick around because of how open it's always been. I've already seen improvement just with the tops being on the ground.
View attachment 37651
This quick little plot worked really well. Naturally not when I was there but I have some big plans for this property next year.

Just a general question I thought about. On a TNM plot, would you still need to lime it?

Absolutely. If it needs it. Let rain work it in.
Just didnt know if it would harm the microbes in the soil like fertilizer will.

Just didnt know if it would harm the microbes in the soil like fertilizer will.
I fertilize and lime my TNM plots. I hope to not have to eventually, but until they get there I'm adding what they need.

Lime is just crushed limestone mined out of the earth. Nothing to hurt :emoji_wink:

What seeding rate would you recommend on this brassica mix for 1 1/2 acre plot? It will be broadcast into sprayed weeds/grass. The mix is turnips, radishes, and rape.

Also, would you mow, cultipack, or mow and cultipack? There is plenty of thatch to work with in this spot.

Thanks!

What seeding rate would you recommend on this brassica mix for 1 1/2 acre plot? It will be broadcast into sprayed weeds/grass. The mix is turnips, radishes, and rape.

Also, would you mow, cultipack, or mow and cultipack? There is plenty of thatch to work with in this spot.

Thanks!

I’d go 6-8# and just cultipack.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6 to 8 TOTAL between all 3 right? Thanks.

9DA4EAE1-A1BE-4BDA-A5E9-EB979566D928.jpeg

Knee high weeds in this field. Sprayed gly. Couple days later broadcast browntop millet. No mowing, cultipacking, or crimping