Sunn Hemp stems are hollow. One reason I may min till is to speed decomposition of the sun hemp. A tiller held high enough to hit no more than the top inch of soil chews up the sunn hemp pretty well. I haven't had any real issues so far but I planted the Sunn Hemp a bit thicker this year than last. We will see how it goes in he fall.
I think I’ll give it a try. 15k seeds per pound I’ll add a pound or two to the late planted soybeans, AWPs, and sunflowers. I want to go back a month later and add cereal grains. Hopefully I won’t crowd anything out.

The field you see in the pic has 20 lbs/ac each of sunn hemp and buckwheat with 2lbs/ac Wild Gamefood Sorghum. I doubt a couple of pounds per acre will be problematic.

Reactions: Rit
The field you see in the pic has 20 lbs/ac each of sunn hemp and buckwheat with 2lbs/ac Wild Gamefood Sorghum. I doubt a couple of pounds per acre will be problematic.

Thats a good looking field

Trying to the same with a pipeline ROW at my place

bill

I happened to be at the farm this week. Took a pic of a min till field. It is sunn hemp, buckwheat, and Wild Game Sorghum. The sunn hemp is so big it is hard to see anything else

7a8d4a53-f0dc-4fbe-90b0-5da08d539dd0.jpg

Thanks,

Jack

Are you seeing any utilization on the sunn hemp. I haven’t seen any browsing on mine, but it is the first year growing it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Are you seeing any utilization on the sunn hemp. I haven’t seen any browsing on mine, but it is the first year growing it.

Yes, I grew it last year too. My deer top the plants when they are small. When they get this big, they tend to eat the leaves rather than browsing the stalk.

Here's a TnM brassica plot I put in 10 days ago, I forgot I had a camera on it so it captured it all.

Spreading the seed.

UA6C8Qa.jpg

Mowing

tkkzNmu.jpg

lxwkBFN.jpg

A few timely rains and we have germination.

tudFU33.jpg

90 degree temp in one photo caught my eye......and in michigan!!

bill

bill
The "feel's like" temp was 107 yesterday here.

bill
The first part of July we a couple weeks of 85deg+ with lots of 90deg days.

I bet they will out compete whatever else is in there

Those oats were just broadcast on top of the dirt then I ran a chain drag. They've worked out two years in a row.

~4 hours of mowing. I had a couple 30 minute breaks. It was darn hot and humid for Northern MN.

~4 hours of mowing. I had a couple 30 minute breaks. It was darn hot and humid for Northern MN.
Good on ya mate. I don't have a mower either, but I don't plan to mow unless the spraying I'm doing fails for some reason.

Honestly, watching that DR mower eat the oats was pretty fun.

Honestly, watching that DR mower eat the oats was pretty fun.
Imagine it getting gobbled up by a flail mower without turning your head and shoulders. Same situation, you might have to wear a sweatshirt.

Since DBltree popped up in another thread.
It got me thinking.

Why no grains in a brassica plot?

Was planning on doing a 3/4 rate of brassicas, about 4#/A, plus sunflowers around 7#/A.
Then top dress with 100# rye around sept 1.
Top dressing N along the way.

Just easier on the spray schedule this way.
Any thoughts?

last year I added white and red clover to my brassicas. They won’t get big enough to out complete anything in the fall. Then came back sept 15th ish and added winter rye. It worked out well. In the spring the clover and rye did their thing. But if it’s a warm fall the rye could take over.