The Land of Milk and Honey

3.5 acres. It’s gonna be a draw probably late November and later. More of a rifle spot for dad, but I want to knock it down strategically to move deer where I want earlier. I am surrounded by beans this year and that’s where they are gonna want to go. I have a redneck blind between my corn and the beans that should be good.

Edit: I do plan to overseed the corn with brassicas and rye that may provide an earlier draw. We’ll see how it grows.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I also tried to top dress my corn today. I planted it way thicker than I wanted. The recommendation was to apply more N to help it out. Well, life got in the way when I should have done it, so it got a little tall. Like real tall. I’m 6’3” and most of it was taller than me. Some was a foot taller. My chest spreader wasn’t doing it. I tossed some by hand. I did 3.5 bags of the 10 I was supposed to do and almost had a heart attack stroke. Plan B is to use the new blower spreader I got, but the hopper is tiny. Has to be better than what I tried though. That’s a problem for another day.

I also tried to top dress my corn today. I planted it way thicker than I wanted. The recommendation was to apply more N to help it out. Well, life got in the way when I should have done it, so it got a little tall. Like real tall. I’m 6’3” and most of it was taller than me. Some was a foot taller. My chest spreader wasn’t doing it. I tossed some by hand. I did 3.5 bags of the 10 I was supposed to do and almost had a heart attack stroke. Plan B is to use the new blower spreader I got, but the hopper is tiny. Has to be better than what I tried though. That’s a problem for another day.

Drone spreader!

3.5 acres. It’s gonna be a draw probably late November and later. More of a rifle spot for dad, but I want to knock it down strategically to move deer where I want earlier. I am surrounded by beans this year and that’s where they are gonna want to go. I have a redneck blind between my corn and the beans that should be good.

Edit: I do plan to overseed the corn with brassicas and rye that may provide an earlier draw. We’ll see how it grows.

You're going to have a problem with brassicas (and probably rye) if you applied accuron, FYI.

Last edited:
I’ve been reading up on that. Seems there are grazing restrictions, but mixed results with germination. This is on pretty high OM soil, and I went on the low end for Acuron, so I am hoping for success. It will be a good test. I have another plot I am doing anyway, so I have a backup.

Corn is getting really really tall…
e62e9be04ac671e6f241ef04576cff42.jpg

Well, now that we are home, I can get back to work on the new leanto. Got the outer stem wall forms up and tied rebar yesterday. Soaked through 3 shirts in the process. Hopefully I can start setting inner forms tomorrow morning. Would be cool to pour in the next week.
8ea9d49f9d1e505f85b2170fbea71671.jpg

Nice gauge of weather when you refer to the "number of sweat soaked shirts" in a day. I hate hot and humid weather! This time of year I remember why I own seemingly way more t-shirts than could ever be worn. Most days are a 3 shirt days for me.

I put in this scrape pole last year. I drilled a hole and put an oak branch in there. It worked so good they broke it several times last fall. I decided to go ahead and try the hemp rope trick this year. Anxious to see how it does this year.
61f2fb46c7b639e5f58fca33b757abf6.jpg

Also I am getting some good growth on my buckwheat this summer. Will put in a brassica blend this fall with some clovers and grains. Should make a good thatch when I knock it down.
606d43c38bf8003e0c02da499bad196d.jpg

We also thought with my boy turning 3 soon, it was time to lock up the chemicals in the shop. Unfortunately the top panel came creased so we will have to wait on a replacement, but the doors still lock and will keep them safe.
bb53766da37480cd363743b3d1a681dd.jpg

If they don't hit the rope,which some of my locations they didn't.Just cut down a 6 inch diameter oak from the road ditch and wire to a T post.What I have had the best luck with is tying a pine tree branch to another tree limb over a mock scrape

Today we lost a dinosaur oak. Over 100 easily. It was growing right on the creek bank and really had no roots able to anchor it to the West. Seems it got too heavy enough, and we lost enough bank that it finally gave way. It’s gonna be a lot of work to remove, but at least my aunt will have plenty of firewood. Of course it fell across the only road to my corn…

8b2438e4cc57e8e1fdc54e54654b667a.jpg

Can you log it out and get something made?We made to walnut chest out of a big walnut that had to come down for electric line

I haven’t posted an update in a while. The lean to is making progress. Heavy stuff and doing it solo stinks…
2b93de4a29a02c29a6efa28507c30c05.jpg

Also dad checked the corn and it is looking good! 3.5 acres at 40,000 population making ears like this. I’ll take it! Oh and don’t mind the missing kernels. Dad says it was better last week…
bce663d73f23eb3c47893dba666cc35a.jpg

Can you log it out and get something made?We made to walnut chest out of a big walnut that had to come down for electric line

We limbed out enough to get through. This winter I will attempt to get it up on a few limbs to sit for a couple years. I’ve got a couple walnuts to try and bring in a load to get made into stock. Gotta finish the lean to first.

It's looking good,If I was closer I would come and help.After you get boards cut if you want to dry it will probably take around 2 years unless you can find a kiln

With a couple of chances for rain in the 10 day, I went ahead and broadcast my fall seed on my little plot. .75 acres and it got MRC, crimson clover, brassicas and oats. Will come in later and seed rye. I stole the old man’s buggy to roll down the buckwheat. It crunched quite well. The other half of the plot had more lambsquarter than I was expecting. I may go down tomorrow after some of the grasses have stood back up and hit them with Gly. Will probably mow the lambsquarter off on Saturday. It will have stood up pretty good by then. A little rain and we will be looking good. Dad’s new blind on the hill should be a fun sit.

Edit: Threw out some chicory too!

9714ff784fee7cd4aff8273c50ee8920.jpg

Last edited:
And I’ve never timed it better! This will change my approach to weed and grass control, but I’ll take it!
cd528fa35ac80977f2cdace1da390787.jpg

d81e8410e081d57c036141cf6988d399.jpg

I was going to try and take a couple of hours and broadcast some seed yesterday. I didn't get it done though. We are getting rain as well this morning. Hopefully it will dry just enough that I can get to it late tomorrow. Mention of rain chances coming up in the forecast again in a few days.

I was going to try and take a couple of hours and broadcast some seed yesterday. I didn't get it done though. We are getting rain as well this morning. Hopefully it will dry just enough that I can get to it late tomorrow. Mention of rain chances coming up in the forecast again in a few days.

Yeah, last nights went from 30% to 90% after I spread my seed. I was just wanting to get it down before the bulk of it. You’ll just have more soil moisture this way.