Scott's habitat improvements

Haven't checked here in a while - everything looks great !! Trees coming along well and plots are attracting deer already. That's all good !!

The pix of the mountains were pretty cool. I have relatives that live in Co. Springs very near Pike's Peak. Amazing scenery !!

No way I would have thought those cedars would make it. NS look good, I hope mine do as well.

Ya I thought the cedars were all toast also, good to see them make it.

Thick and lush clover - NICE !!

the swo coming out of the tube when did you put them in the ground? and how old r they now

the swo coming out of the tube when did you put them in the ground? and how old r they now
I planted them 3yrs ago and they were 12-18" bareroots when I planted them.

Your place is looking good as usual!

Hinge cuts next to our switch grass, this started out as for bedding but it also has worked as a visual from the neighbors, most of these are 30-40 yds from the fenceline. I didn't think the ash would last this long because of EAB but some of these are going on the 3rd year.

North fenceline

I want to get some fert on this switch to jump start it but not much rain in the forecast.

West fenceline

Apple trees didn't get hit to bad by the late frost.

Nice edge cover in some of those pix. Great for bedding, browsing, staging areas, etc. Apples look good too. Good work !!

Nice stand of switchgrass!

Made a couple videos while checking cams the other day.

Nice. ..I couldn't imaine having that much open ground. Do they bed good in the tall grass or switch grass?
Is it hard to keep from bumping the deer going in to the stand in the mornings?

Looking great. And your apple tree leaves look a lot cleaner than most here do this year.

You have some nice prime hangout there!

Nice. ..I couldn't imaine having that much open ground. Do they bed good in the tall grass or switch grass?
Is it hard to keep from bumping the deer going in to the stand in the mornings?
I see they are starting to bed in the switch more, this is the 4th year for the switch so they are getting used to it and using it more. You are correct on getting in and out of stands, that's why a few years ago screening/cover has been my #1 priority, the first 3 videos are on my mom's right next to me and mornings aren't quite as bad but stilll a callenge we hunt a lot of outside edges, there is a lane a couple hundred yards out into the bean field that bisects it so a couple ways to get in. My place was basically a 40acres hayfiled when I bought it and I took the back 15 acres and have worked on it, lots of afternoon hunts there and real early morning and try to sneak in, a real work in progress but a blank slate.

Looking great. And your apple tree leaves look a lot cleaner than most here do this year.
Those apple trees have never had anything done to them except a couple years ago I started pruning a little and started with all the dead wood, I still have a bunch more to work on, just luck I guess on them looking good :)

You have some nice prime hangout there!
Thanks! habitat work is a close second to hunting now. Found out this last winter that even though it wasn't a bad winter I'm going to have to rethink some of my plantings because the deer are starting to use our properties year round. I planted a couple hundred norway spruce and they ate just about evey last one, up until then I've never had to protect them before. So becareful what you wish for, holding more deer different problems.

Last edited:
Great looking place, Scott !! Nice variety of stuff you have planted. All your planted fruit / nut trees look to be in really good shape.
I plant lots of Norway spruce too. I've found that caging some of them insures survival for those times when a severe winter prompts deer to browse them. I use 3 or 4 ft. tall 2" x 4" welded wire fence to keep the deer off and let the spruce get established - usually up to about 5-6 ft. tall.

I'm impressed by the extent you guys go to for improving your habitats and providing such good stewardship for future generations of hunters and folks who just enjoy the country. Some of the pix and videos and descriptions depict lots of dedication and pride in your workings. My hat's off to all you guys !!

My oldest son and I drew CO muley tags so the end of Aug I'll be heading to CO hunting. My son lives in CO so over the 4th weekend he was scouting and found some decent bucks.

Tag showed up

Couple pics of what he found.