Scott's habitat improvements

Got another couple hundred plugs planted yesterday along with caging the apple trees I planted last week.

Planted some cedars and aspen in hinged areas to try and keep the brows down. I hadn't seen them brows norways before last winter and I lost alot.

Put up a stand last fall west of an old apple orchard, didn't have time to cut lanes other than the basic trim.

Stand is in the oak back left.

These dead ash are coming out.

Good regen in the back of this pic where the ash have died.

Pics of the orchard.

Are there any trees in the old orchard still putting fruit out? Love the "caged" spruces. I just did that with a bunch of white pines I planted.

Are there any trees in the old orchard still putting fruit out? Love the "caged" spruces. I just did that with a bunch of white pines I planted.

Yea most all of them still fruit, I need to get in there and do some clean up nothing has ever been done to them as far as I know.

Scott what did the stone run you in your part of the state?

Here i was quoted $28.50 a yard for washed stone & $35 a yard for limestone, I have a 1/2 tony 4 door F150 short box, it would suffer with 1/2 a yard if that.

Scott what did the stone run you in your part of the state?
I suppose I could have went that route but I bought it at Home Depot for $1.48/bag and I used 2 bags/tree.

I tried keeping some trees in pots over the winter and it seems to have worked, put them on the east side of the barn and covered them with leaves. It looks like maybe only one of the chestnuts might not make it.

Burgambel oaks from seedlings and bur oaks I started from acorns last year.

I can't remember for sure but I think these are chinese chestnuts, I have to start labeling them better.

Out doing some work today and found a shed just off one of the plots. Not something we find a lot of.

Things are starting to wake up finally, 3yr old hazelnuts.

Narural drainage running through a switch field, I planted willow and dogwood cuttings most of the way back to the woods.

Wow. You guys that live on permafrost have it rough. Everything in MO and the east coast is greeeen.

The birds have been enjoying my fall planted clover.

abae33d2d074fed9a6a9952faa3411e1.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Wow. You guys that live on permafrost have it rough. Everything in MO and the east coast is greeeen.

The birds have been enjoying my fall planted clover.

abae33d2d074fed9a6a9952faa3411e1.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Yea those pics were taken last wed. we are just a little slow:)

Made it out this afternoon and brush hogged a couple acres of switch, the big field on mom's I didn't try to get back there being it's pretty wet.

Also brush hogged the MG down, trying an experiment on cutting it down or leaving it up so part of the screen is still standing. A ton of thatch/mulch after brush hogging it.

Cleaned some tubes out, amazes me on the growth you get on things in the tubes, even dandelions. :)

Deer are looking shabby now they are loosing the winter coat.

Love the Fox pic, looks like you're starting to green up a little up there too.

Love the Fox pic, looks like you're starting to green up a little up there too.
Yea things are starting to wake up, supposed to be in the 60's this week so I expect a little more. I checked farmlogs today and we are 40% over average on moisture and 20% over on temperature, I can see the water but it doesn't seem like we've been all that warm. Every so often we get pics of fox, here's my favorite from last spring.

Last edited:
.....A little late but man that old orchard looks like a great spot....reminds me of a place I used to bowhunt growing up.

My oldest son got married in CO over the weekend so we had a nice long weekend with him and did a little sight seeing. Got on Pikes Peak website and it said that they wern't open until memorial day so we wnet there just to look from the bottom up and found it to be open, still 5-6' of snow up there. Left the bottom and it was mid 50's and got to the top and it was 20 with 20-30 mph wind and we wern't dressed for it , just enough time for a couple pics and to look around for a few.

They were married in the mountains in this little meadow, next pics are the view from behind the pines.

Top of Pikes Peak.

My oldest son got married in CO over the weekend so we had a nice long weekend with him and did a little sight seeing. Got on Pikes Peak website and it said that they wern't open until memorial day so we wnet there just to look from the bottom up and found it to be open, still 5-6' of snow up there. Left the bottom and it was mid 50's and got to the top and it was 20 with 20-30 mph wind and we wern't dressed for it , just enough time for a couple pics and to look around for a few.

They were married in the mountains in this little meadow, next pics are the view from behind the pines.

Top of Pikes Peak.

If I remember right, you lose 4 degrees every 1000ft in elevetion, so you lose at least 28 on pikes peak, and it is always windy up there.

Very cool!

Clipped some clover today.

Adding a bunch more biomass from free rye seed, last years brassica strip that was planted into rolled down rye, last years cereal grains on right.

Can't keep them out of freshly turned earth.

Great bunch of pictures and I especially loved the fox and those mountains!

Made it out and weed whacked and sprayed around my tree tubes.

SWO coming out of the tube.

I thought I lost all of my red cedars I planted last year but it turned out to be only about 25%, they all looked like the dead one this spring.

Norways from this year, they didn't look the best when I got them but they are looking pretty good now.

They are liking the new plot already, in the back was planted earlier this week with a spray and roll.