Scott's habitat improvements

Nice! Sounds like a plan

I was going through and cleaaning up some old trail cam pics and noticed how my our place has changed in just the last couple years, we used to have a big plot about 3 acres but it was out in the open and too close to the north fence so the last couple years I've been moving it south and letting things grow up for more screening. I used to mow everything and keep things looking neat but I guess that was just for me because the deer really didn't care as I have found out most times uglier is better.

Chestnuts from Empire...good stuff! I hope you like the wildlife hybrids. Way back in 2003( I think?) I purchased pure Allegheny Chinquapin seedlings from Greg. In a 5b, you should be able to get nuts from the chinquapin in their 2nd or 3rd leaf (hard to believe but I've seen it). Mine take a little longer due to my climate.

Scott,
I like the hay field turned into evergreens.

Hate to say it but that cedar in the pic is toast. They sometimes get pale and bounce back but brown.

Chestnuts from Empire...good stuff! I hope you like the wildlife hybrids. Way back in 2003( I think?) I purchased pure Allegheny Chinquapin seedlings from Greg. In a 5b, you should be able to get nuts from the chinquapin in their 2nd or 3rd leaf (hard to believe but I've seen it). Mine take a little longer due to my climate.
THis is my second time going with the wildlife hybrids from them, 2yrs ago I did them so maybe in a couple yrs I'll have some producing.

Hate to say it but that cedar in the pic is toast. They sometimes get pale and bounce back but brown.

That's what I was thinking but I had to ask

How tall where those Norways when you planted them? Some of them look 2 foot in that picture.

They were a good 2' when planted I didn't measure them, they were styro 20 plugs from NCR

That explains it. I was thinking they really shot up for little plugs.

Doing some maintenance on our old Ford 861, started out just changing all the fluids and filters and ended up doing the drag links and getting the light to work. Added a LED light in the back for backblading snow at night. Should have done the draglinks before because the parts were only $70 and now it's tight.

Took a ride around just to check things out and found a couple dead deer and decent 6pt and a doe, the 6 was gut shot and couldn't tell about the doe because the yotes had got to her.

Pretty good size deer for his age.

Red pines don't stand a chance around here.

They al ways rub my scotch and Jack pines. You end up with so'me pretty cool shaped trees after that. I've been thinking about transplanting a few into ideal areas, just as rubsoon in front of stands.

To bad about the young buck.

I need to more preventative maintenance. Rather than fixing what breaks.

Started out to be a quad ride on Mon. to check pull card but it started raining so I took the truck and videoed the ride because it started raining.

This is of our place and the plots in front of my wife's blind.

THis is leaving our property and going onto my parents property.

What's that white stuff ?

I have a rhododendron that broke bud last week and started to flower.

What's that white stuff ?

I have a rhododendron that broke bud last week and started to flower.

Haven't had much of the white stuff this winter, had one storm the end of Nov but it was gone in a couple days. This one has lasted the longest and it looks like its here to stay, enjoy your rhododendron:)

Your red pines look like my white pines. Also, planted some Norways this spring and lots got browsed. But, mine were smaller trees than yours. If I ever plant any more I want some that look as good as yours.

PS: You habitat pics always look great.

Your red pines look like my white pines. Also, planted some Norways this spring and lots got browsed. But, mine were smaller trees than yours. If I ever plant any more I want some that look as good as yours.

PS: You habitat pics always look great.

I've planted white pines and had all them browsed to the ground, I want to try some more but I'll cage them or add them in hinged areas. They seem to leave the spruce alone here other than rubbing some.

How much growth is everyone getting from their NS? I planted 2-2 this past spring and am curious what I can expect in the next couple years

How much growth is everyone getting from their NS? I planted 2-2 this past spring and am curious what I can expect in the next couple years
The first couple years they grow roots then after that they should shart to take off, that' in full sun.

Native - I've had deer nip the tops of the Norways before and they bounce back. They don't have that pointed, narrow top ( for a few years ), but they keep growing and recover. Once they get 3' tall or so, they are targets for rubbing. 95% of the time that just sets them back, too - but once in a while they get rubbed so violently that they croak. 95% of ours survive - we don't lose many. Our white pines hardly EVER get rubbed. Our pitch pines get clobbered though !! No red pines at camp at all.

St. Croix - I've planted a load of NS over 19 yrs. and if you plant seedlings, I wouldn't look for much growth for the first 2 years. In my experience, the first couple years they are developing root systems and years 3 & 4 are when things start to kick in. I help things along by sprinkling some 10-10-10 around the NS starting in year 2 and going thru years 6 & 7. By then I usually have 6 to 7 ft. trees and they then grow about 1' to 1 1/2' per year on their own. That's the regimen I use - growth may vary according to your soil & sun exposure.

Scott - Looks like you have a good patch of evergreens started there. Once they hit 4 ft. or so, don't be surprised to find some deer bedding in them !! I love the spruce for cover and bedding. Great windbreak in winter winds. Nice job !!