Scott's habitat improvements

Had a few survivors, nothing big but a start.

On the brassicas.

Digging through snow to get rye.

Couple things on the to do list for this year.

Put a couple culverts in.

Get a pond dug in this area, it has water in it until July/Aug but then it's gone.

Hinge some trees and funnel them about 40yds south towards the second pic.

Corn will always draw them, neighbors didn't take this down till after the first of the year, I have two rows of spruce planted for screening but they are only a couple years old can't wait for them to fill in.

I bet that low spot that collects water is a wildlife magnet.

I bet that low spot that collects water is a wildlife magnet.
Yes it is, I want it to be more of a magnet especially late summer through fall. I'm standing just off my plots so they should have both food and water in the same area. Some of the openings on the opposite end is RC grass and I have some black spruce I'm going to plant and try to fill in the openings.

Last edited:
I just read this whole thread, and I love it, great work, i'll be following this one.

Got out this afternoon and seeded some NWG's into bare spots in the field and took a walk through spots I haven't been since summer.

THought I found a shed but it was just a broken tine from last fall.

Found a dead doe fawn that didn't look too old.

Lost a big old oak over the winter, should open up and allow a lot of light now.

One of my sidewalks in the woods, have to get the saw back there and clean up some downed trees. It goes up and turnd right into the second pic and heads twards the plots.

Yep...time to get to work! I had a couple big trees down over the winter also.
Are you going to plant many trees this year?

Yep...time to get to work! I had a couple big trees down over the winter also.
Are you going to plant many trees this year?
I have about 400 ordered plus I have a couple trays of chestnuts started.

50 Hazelnuts
30 Black spruce
30 Arrowwood
100 Norway spruce
10Chestnut, American
25Pine, Austrian
20Pine, Scotch
20Willow, Arctic blue
25Aspen, Quaking
20Fir, Grand
20Juniper, Rocky Mtn
10Dogwood, Redosier
25Fir, Fraser
20Fir, Canaan

Last edited:
Planted 100 Norway plugs and 25 Hazelnuts and 25 Chinkapin oaks bareroots yesterday.

Last year I took about 5 acres of our hay field and planted some oaks, norways, planted most of the trees yesterday in this area.

Standing in the hay field looking at our plots.

Last year I planted some red cedars on the west edge of a switch.

Trails coming in and out of the switch on our west fence line.

Major run off from the neighbors, we've had a pretty wet spring so far.

Plots are wet.

Lots of growth on those plugs, what size?

Those are styro 20's from NCR.
I planted some 4a's and 6's today and while they looked very healthy the top growth averaged about 6".

I planted some 4a's and 6's today and while they looked very healthy the top growth averaged about 6".
I have more coming this next week, weather here has been pretty wet and they are calling for 4-6" of snow tonight and tomorrow and 60's by next weekend. Just need it to dry out some.

Round 2 of tree planting today my oders from Cold Stream and U of Idaho came in. Really didn't want to plant any bare roots but couldn't find any black spruce plugs, also planted 5 apple trees today.

Why I went to plugs.

Planted 25 in this rc grass, I'll go back later and see if I can knock it back when it starts to green up.

Looking from the rc grass towards plots.

Standing out in switch looking toward black spruce planting, future pond in background.

Pic of the orchard I'm trying to get started. Have to get some fencing and get these caged.

Keiffer pear planted last year.

Looks really nice Scott! I hear ya on stuff being wet, we don't have clay around my places but man sure is a LOT of water this year.

Looks really nice Scott! I hear ya on stuff being wet, we don't have clay around my places but man sure is a LOT of water this year.
I think we've had about 13" of rain this spring so far.

At the least plants wont be thirsty for awhile.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

From what I can tell in your thread, your property has seen a lot more usage since you began your improvements. What's your thoughts on where you started until where you are now.

With your Pear trees. Do you plan on pruning/training them or let them grow naturally? I've seen a lot of pics where the crotch angles look like they grow almost vertical naturally. I've also read to prune them similar to apple trees with a central leader w/ scaffolds and 45-60 degree angles. What's your take on it?

With your Pear trees. Do you plan on pruning/training them or let them grow naturally? I've seen a lot of pics where the crotch angles look like they grow almost vertical naturally. I've also read to prune them similar to apple trees with a central leader w/ scaffolds and 45-60 degree angles. What's your take on it?
Not sure what I'm doing on these fruit trees, I've never pruned before so it would be a learning experience. I want to learn how so evenually I believe I will.